Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

DzlToy

Explorer
Do you have a GoPro or similar?

Find one to borrow if you don't and mount it on your axle (securely) and go hit some pot holes. That will tell you exactly what is hitting, when, how much the bump stops are compressing, etc..

java

Expedition Leader
Do you have a GoPro or similar?

Find one to borrow if you don't and mount it on your axle (securely) and go hit some pot holes. That will tell you exactly what is hitting, when, how much the bump stops are compressing, etc..
Oh good idea! I do have one, I'm sure I can figure a mount out

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Found a few hours yesterday between soccer practice, dinner and homework with the kid....

Propane tank mud flap is done, man are those things hard to cut!

34512100546_13b133e91d_b.jpg

Bolted to the body on the outside
34392069522_91a66d5aec_b.jpg

and a piece of cable on the inside. Hopefully this keeps it off the tire. Handy slot/hole was already in the spring hanger, I think it will stay put.
34392067842_e560924216_b.jpg

Finished up the last big wall panel, still lots of trim work, and skinning the door. But this piece keeps the insulation in place and give it a much more complete feel.
33599498393_ea6afa6592_b.jpg

Caulked in the back side, this is kinda a "wet room" skis, ez up sleds etc. That should keep the water from running under the floor into the living space. There is a fair bit of storage back there, but I wish I had made it 1" deeper....
34392067892_15306d8a25_b.jpg

34512099566_91879d977c_b.jpg

Got the inverter mounted, and the hot side cable done. Man everything takes FOREVER! Climb under bed, forget some little piece/tool, climb out, walk to garage, climb back under bed. Repeat ad nauseum.
34392066782_107aa12b6a_b.jpg

gtbensley

Explorer
Not yet. Its just barely visible that it has leaked on the dip stick now, its been ~1000 miles. I am getting some little black dots on the back doors though.

I will likely do the injector harness and leave the oil pan alone, its just a huge PITA to get out. Its not leaking fast enough to go to the top of the priority list. I need to get the up pipes done though, it gets stinky in the cab randomly it seems...

Most diesels seem to leak some anyways, not a big deal. Get those up pipes fixed though, that can cause you to have higher EGT's which can cause problems.

java

Expedition Leader
Most diesels seem to leak some anyways, not a big deal. Get those up pipes fixed though, that can cause you to have higher EGT's which can cause problems.

Yeah id like to fix it anyway, its enough to get droplets on the back doors which is annoying. Its on the list...

The up pipes are weird... Trip before last it STUNK going down the freeway at 65 had to open windows it stunk so bad. Last trip we did 350 miles, I got a slight smell on a regen cycle, wife didn't even say anything about it and shes usually pretty sensitive to it. I am still making ~35 psi boost going up the passes, which is right about where it should be from my reading online (stock is supposed to top out just under 40) so it cant be leaking that much. I have been meaning to grab my OBDII dongle to see if I can get EGT data from it. I think I can.

java

Expedition Leader
Frame to axle measurement would be more accurate.

OK dug through the body builder book. It has frame to ground measurements at front axle center line. Which is nearly impossible to measure on a assembled truck but should get us close. One thing to keep in mind its for a CC truck, mine was a pickup (should not be a difference forward of the cab). I should be between 25" (unloaded) and 23.6" (loaded). Im not on a super flat spot but ill take some measurements and see.

java

Expedition Leader
Broke out the tape, the front of the truck is probably 8-12" above the rear in the parking spot. I'm roughly 23 ish inches in the front. So fully loaded.

java

Expedition Leader
I would think egt temps would show up on a scanner on something that new.

I think so too, just gotta find time to try it! I did get a conduit run to my tool box and my inverter/charger installed. So I now have a 120V plug I can run from my tool box to any outlet and charge! I just need to get the 120V side of the inverter done, I didn't have a big enough knock out :(

Drove it again on the weekend. It drives nice. Really nice. Still smells like mice though :(

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I have been meaning to grab my OBDII dongle to see if I can get EGT data from it. I think I can.

I would think egt temps would show up on a scanner on something that new.

OBD bluetooth dongle and TorquePro app (Car Gauge Pro interface is not as slick and Torque Pro, but Car gauge Pro can do injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test) on your phone will get you a lot of cool info. EGT, coolant temp, RPM, volts, read/clear codes, you can tailor it to see PID/live data for most anything anything the ECU sees. Displayed as a gauge or graph.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
OBD bluetooth dongle and TorquePro app (Car Gauge Pro interface is not as slick and Torque Pro, but Car gauge Pro can do injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test) on your phone will get you a lot of cool info. EGT, coolant temp, RPM, volts, read/clear codes, you can tailor it to see live data for anything the ECU sees. Displayed as a gauge or graph.
I've got Torque lite and a Bluetooth dongle, I'll try it. Just gotta find time.... Weddings and work are cutting into my truck work time.

Ordered solar goodies today :)

keons500

Observer
Man everything takes FOREVER! Climb under bed, forget some little piece/tool, climb out, walk to garage, climb back under bed. Repeat ad nauseum.

This. Your project is awesome! One of the projects that inspires me regularly. Keep it up!

I did end up getting a different fridge FYI. Your thread is how I learned about Isotherm, but I found a pretty decent deal on a Vitrifrigo C130 (same Danfoss Compressor). It's not the drawer, but that doesn't much matter.

java

Expedition Leader
This. Your project is awesome! One of the projects that inspires me regularly. Keep it up!

I did end up getting a different fridge FYI. Your thread is how I learned about Isotherm, but I found a pretty decent deal on a Vitrifrigo C130 (same Danfoss Compressor). It's not the drawer, but that doesn't much matter.
Glad it's an inspiration! Really I do.

So many little things to do. Solar is ready for install, water needs to get done too.

java

Expedition Leader
100W folding panel, looks like they took one of the "flexible" panels and cut it in half. Its very small when folded. It will be paired with a Victron MPPT controller.
34845851875_ffa44eb30d_b.jpg

34036055033_49a77298ed_b.jpg

Charger is wired. Ran a piece of flextite conduit between the tool box on the drivers side and the battery area. This is so I can run my incoming power cable from there. Also ran a pair of 8 gauge wires for the solar hook up. The solar controller will likely be mounted next to the batteries though. The other two glands re for my 2/0 DC power wires.
34459578230_073d859445_b.jpg

34459578660_c742040e6a_b.jpg

And in the box I have about 20' of 20 amp cord, and the two solar wires. Tools and fluids live there too.
34845847625_5d313dde0b_b.jpg

And wires up to the inverter charger.
34459582200_5b98d2bccb_b.jpg

Also started on my 120V breaker box.
34845850585_cdbdceb229_b.jpg

Then it was time for more holes..... Water heater intake/exhaust.
34806573076_7afeb53fe1_b.jpg

I even managed to get the hole from the inside and outside to line up :D
34806576766_f51563f682_b.jpg

Its a concentric vent, intake around the outside, exhaust down the middle. All stainless which is nice.
34806572706_c71f26a825_b.jpg

And all done.
34036064593_b3e740cf4b_b.jpg

And since It was almost 90 yesterday we thought we should give sticker peeling a go! Man it came off so much better than when it was cold out! No more sponsor names, just the number either side now. There was even a second layer of blue on the front!

34845856595_40379a3dcb_b.jpg

34845857985_c835684dce_b.jpg

34682600392_301dce66ea_b.jpg

34806575386_34a33fb349_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles