Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Do they allow tent trailers? Or hard side only? I'm in the very early stage of planning a big trip for next July
Depends on the campground, one was hard side only, but has a soft side/tent loop also (with electric fence around it) but soft side was ok most other places.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

keons500

Observer
Thanks, yeah it was a good time! Definitely a place to go visit.

Too bad to hear on the bus, easy power adders? What did you end up weighing?

For sure! Read through the trip report on your website and I'd like to go even more now!

I haven't weighed yet. A lot! Haha... We had this summer tour planned, so the test drive was heading out across the country. The bus has done around 6,000 miles since July 2 and should end the trip at around 8,000.

java

Expedition Leader
For sure! Read through the trip report on your website and I'd like to go even more now!

I haven't weighed yet. A lot! Haha... We had this summer tour planned, so the test drive was heading out across the country. The bus has done around 6,000 miles since July 2 and should end the trip at around 8,000.
That's awesome! Trial by fire

java

Expedition Leader
So one of the guys over at Grassroots Motorsports forum just so happens to work for Webasto. He saw my incorrect fuel line and sent me a roll of the correct stuff! Apparently they actually use the fuel line ID as part of the fueling system metering. Too large of an ID (like my rubber) will actually over fuel the heater. He said it would likely work fine for a long while, but eventually it will kill the fire box. The pulse pump needs the restriction I guess.

Correct stuff.
35928472533_0eb5e3457d_b.jpg

So I got around to installing it between the fuel pump and heater last night anyway. Uhhh yeah no good pictures under there, but its clear tubing in place of the rubber.

Still rubber to the tank, not exactly sure how I will get around that one yet, but its only about 24"

36690992486_b9303cf2ec_b.jpg

Loubaru

Adventurer
Unless they provided you with a measurement for how much length of smaller tubing to run I wouldn't worry about the larger line in the tank. Pressure drop over piping/tubing is dependent on length, if they didn't provide you an exact length to run I would suspect they aren't worried about it and the pressure/flow range needed to feed the heater is large. Surprised they don't just use an orifice built into the inlet of the heater...

java

Expedition Leader
Unless they provided you with a measurement for how much length of smaller tubing to run I wouldn't worry about the larger line in the tank. Pressure drop over piping/tubing is dependent on length, if they didn't provide you an exact length to run I would suspect they aren't worried about it and the pressure/flow range needed to feed the heater is large. Surprised they don't just use an orifice built into the inlet of the heater...

They said it would be better to have the same pipe on both sides of the pump. Its a pulse pump not a pressure system. I don't think an orifice would do much in that sense, I did assume that the pump metered it though.

Great Trip Report

Just read thru your trip report. I worked in Calgary in 1980, about 90 to 100+ hours a week for 10 weeks. I was stoked with the thought I would go spend time in the mountains, and was bummed when I found out I could hardly leave the jobsite (Deerfoot Trail concrete paving-don't believe what they tell you to get you there...). I slept in a construction trailer along the Bow River and they even washed my clothes and brought me food; etc., but I couldn't spend a dime and was making $9/hour and got the big OT $$$.:elkgrin:
When I finished in early September, took a big long tour thru all that (camping in my 76 Capri II) area in your report. I thought Wells Gray was awesome and I could not believe how uncrowded it was, especially with all those cool waterfalls. Not a soul on the trek to Robson. I was a few days late for Fall Quarter at University, but you have to take advantage of a good tour when you can! Too bad about all the fires this year. Makes me want to dig out my slides (yeah, that was a while ago).

Did you find your rear bumper hung up a few times? You indicated a modification was needed. Other than that, it sounded like the rig was awesome. I like your A/C setup, but maybe a ratchet strap instead of a bungee? How were the window screens with the mosquitoes?

java

Expedition Leader
Just read thru your trip report. I worked in Calgary in 1980, about 90 to 100+ hours a week for 10 weeks. I was stoked with the thought I would go spend time in the mountains, and was bummed when I found out I could hardly leave the jobsite (Deerfoot Trail concrete paving-don't believe what they tell you to get you there...). I slept in a construction trailer along the Bow River and they even washed my clothes and brought me food; etc., but I couldn't spend a dime and was making $9/hour and got the big OT $$$.:elkgrin:
When I finished in early September, took a big long tour thru all that (camping in my 76 Capri II) area in your report. I thought Wells Gray was awesome and I could not believe how uncrowded it was, especially with all those cool waterfalls. Not a soul on the trek to Robson. I was a few days late for Fall Quarter at University, but you have to take advantage of a good tour when you can! Too bad about all the fires this year. Makes me want to dig out my slides (yeah, that was a while ago).

Did you find your rear bumper hung up a few times? You indicated a modification was needed. Other than that, it sounded like the rig was awesome. I like your A/C setup, but maybe a ratchet strap instead of a bungee? How were the window screens with the mosquitoes?
Thanks for reading!!

I agree, Wellsgray way amazing. Really surprised at what was hidden there.

Bumper never hang up on this trip, but we didn't push it either, it's been on the docket all along to chop it, but it's not a high priority. I think the breakover may limit it more.

AC works great when there is hook ups, keeps it nice inside. A strap probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's hooked of a TP holder too. Maybe a long term hook is in order. It'd sitting on a bunched up towel to keep it from rolling too.

Screens worked great, mosquitos would follow us from one side to the other.... Literally. The screen by the dinette would be crawling with them, get up and go to the stove and they would migrate to that side. Kinda creepy. No see ums might get through, but kept the mosquitos at bay.

RC413

Observer
Read all 56 pages since dinner. I lost track of the build over on GRM, glad I found it here!

Great job!!! Too cool to see the build so quick and directly put to use..

Where did you source your windows, and is there anything you would do differently with them?

Thanks Ross

java

Expedition Leader
Read all 56 pages since dinner. I lost track of the build over on GRM, glad I found it here!

Great job!!! Too cool to see the build so quick and directly put to use..

Where did you source your windows, and is there anything you would do differently with them?

Thanks Ross
Hi Ross! Glad you found it here too. GRM can be a bit hard to navigate...

Wkndkws are from Motion Windows in Vancouver WA, they are nice, they will make any shape and size you want.

I wish the frames had a thermal break, they sweat a fair bit in the cold. Double panes are awesome though.

And I would have gotten the large one as a single slide instead of the T slide.

RC413

Observer
Hi Ross! Glad you found it here too. GRM can be a bit hard to navigate...

Wkndkws are from Motion Windows in Vancouver WA, they are nice, they will make any shape and size you want.

I wish the frames had a thermal break, they sweat a fair bit in the cold. Double panes are awesome though.

And I would have gotten the large one as a single slide instead of the T slide.

Awesome man, thanks for the info.

I have really been leaning towards a dual pane window just to combat the condensate. Good to hear you have had luck with them.

Thanks Ross

java

Expedition Leader
Awesome man, thanks for the info.

I have really been leaning towards a dual pane window just to combat the condensate. Good to hear you have had luck with them.

Thanks Ross
Yeah it really helps. The frames still sweat quite a bit though.

java

Expedition Leader
OK a couple of tiny updates.

Added a cell booster antenna. Will see how that works.

36822233851_ed02523b32_b.jpg

Added a handle to the bed, much easier to lift!
36774464746_67f65e5bd3_b.jpg

And worked on a backup camera. Huge fail so far.... Its wifi based and I had an old phone I was going to use for the screen. The idea os good, but the transmitter that claims 150m, is more like two. Too much metal I guess, as soon as I walk around the side of the truck it just drops.

Parts
36127113704_030908ae60_b.jpg

Stuck it all in a tupperware on the back of this panel, tapped the license plate light for power.
36961916405_3636a9f083_b.jpg

It works if you stand behind the truck..... not so helpful. I may **** with it later, or just get something different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior