Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Nice work on the tank and deck plate.
Not the best pic, but my mud flaps are mounted using a straight piece of L-channel. Solid mounts. But, you may not have a flat solid surface to mount to.
e525ed39fe35dbd462c95b28a65624c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah I am planning to use the same bolts that hold the propane tank on at the top to secure it there, its a piece of square tube in the floor framing. The bottom edge is where it gets tricky, I cant just let it hang or it will rub the tire, I need to get it pulled forward a bit.

java

Expedition Leader
You could add a quickie rinse or tornado

View attachment 398162

View attachment 398163

The black tank flushes that connect to the outlet don't work very well.

Kind of goofy, but good demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

I have seen very mixed reviews on the "sprinkler style" ones that go in the tank as well. They want to be installed on the opposite end of the tank from the drain, not possible in my case.

My thinking was just a hose fitting, I usually fill and drain the tank a couple times. It used to work well as I used the vent, now my vent and drain are very close to each other.

Interesting video, It looks like the ones that connect to the outlet might actually work well in my case as the outlet is literally glued into the end of the tank. Hmmmm.

java

Expedition Leader
Tried to get to one of our regular spots. Ran into 8-10" of wet sloppy snow that was more than we wanted to try to get through solo.

Oh well. There is a nice quite CG close by
34370444765_e1531132c9_b.jpg

Snow wasn't far off.
33573731693_ab8b0ecd56_b.jpg

This was a first long stretch of gravel we had done, not too bad on the smoother sections but the pot holed areas were brutal. Like 10mph crawl at best, otherwise I thought I would break the truck. This has me thinking about wheels/tires/lift/springs etc. Ill take any input here....

A couple things, these are G rated tires (IIRC!) 14 ply sidewalls. Great on the highway, fine on smooth gravel, ouch in potholes. Has anyone had experience going from a 19.5 tire to a 20" LT? Or too a less load rated 19.5?

Or will a spring change (kelderman airbags in the front?) make more of a difference? It felt like it was front end for the worst of it....

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Research I have done so far - 20" super singles are the only valid way to be able to soften the offroad ride. Frustrating but true.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Springs, bags, etc. hold the weight of your vehicle. Unless you are bottoming out or your spring rate is too high, you will get the best results from performance shocks.

java

Expedition Leader
Springs, bags, etc. hold the weight of your vehicle. Unless you are bottoming out or your spring rate is too high, you will get the best results from performance shocks.
Yeah definitely not bottoming out (I sure don't think, I'll goo at bump stops to see what they look like), but it sure felt like the wheels were dropping into the holes, I wonder if the shocks are toast, the rear ones were......

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I have high quality Bilstein shocks now. Makes no difference to the harsh off-road ride.

Gabe, it is all due to our harsh/brick-like 12 and 14 ply commercial tires. Only fix is to go singles, and be able to air down. I looked into this for the last year +.

If there were any other cheaper fix, I would have done it a year ago. The first time I experienced a washboard road in Elko.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have high quality Bilstein shocks now. Makes no difference to the harsh off-road ride.

Gabe, it is all due to our harsh/brick-like 12 and 14 ply commercial tires. Only fix is to go singles, and be able to air down. I looked into this for the last year +.

If there were any other cheaper fix, I would have done it a year ago. The first time I experienced a washboard road in Elko.

I'm talking about something in a larger diameter, with a remote reservoir, and that is position sensitive.

java

Expedition Leader
Also not much in the way of up travel, although the bumps feel soft to touch.

They are an F load tire
4a7f023655b03c6a38e713c9c88710ab.jpg

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I'm talking about something in a larger diameter, with a remote reservoir, and that is position sensitive.
I understand your point. Would be a nice upgrade, though I don't believe it would solve the issue. My dash felt like it was going to exploded driving over tractor tracks in a flat dry dirt road. Little to no suspension travel involved. Couldn't drive faster than 10 to 15 mph. At 80 to 100 psi, we just get beat up.

16_Crewmax_

Do you think it was to stiff or to soft? I'm guessing soft. Airbags are great because they allow you to play with spring rate on the fly to see what you like. But they are more maintenance. But I'd be more concerned about your lack of up travel to that bump stop rather than spring rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

java

Expedition Leader
Do you think it was to stiff or to soft? I'm guessing soft. Airbags are great because they allow you to play with spring rate on the fly to see what you like. But they are more maintenance. But I'd be more concerned about your lack of up travel to that bump stop rather than spring rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stiff, very very stiff, like I thought I was going to break the truck stiff....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior