Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

DzlToy

Explorer
quite a few options according to this Products page:

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/categories/headlights/

I would also search for OEM replacement bulbs (HID or LED) or an LED conversion kit. I can't imagine that the F450 lights would be any different than another F-series truck of that same year, but I am not a Ford guy, so I am not sure.

Call them and ask what they have, they are a great company to work with.

EDIT: https://blackflamecustoms.com/products/complete-headlight-packages/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBY8HGNCgFE&ytbChannel=Headlight Revolution

Google is your friend :D

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

They are the same headlights as every other Ford of the generation. I've seen the led replacement bulbs, but haven't been super impressed. They won't melt snow off!

I do love my HID projector retrofit in my 4runner....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thanks!

They are the same headlights as every other Ford of the generation. I've seen the led replacement bulbs, but haven't been super impressed. They won't melt snow off!

I do love my HID projector retrofit in my 4runner....

Don't waste your time or cash on LED bulb replacements. Don't gain enough.

Lumen makes a nice projector replacement headlight. Considering for my 2005.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
IMO I hate them over head. It also lights up the dust and snow much more in your line of sight. The snow was coming down heavy enough last weekend that it was very well light up, but still just fine to see. I have had overhead lights on a previous car, they seemed to light it up way more. All that to say bumper lights are better IMO.

The lower the lights the better for getting contrast on bumpy surfaces. If the lights are too high they fill in the lighting in the holes making it harder to see the bumps.

Now for me to be a hypocrite I am leaving the big light bar on my Ambo just because it does work well for area lighting and I’m a lazy bugger.

Boz

Observer
Damn they are proud of those! I would DIY a retrofit if I go that route. I did my 4runner, it's pretty straight forward.

Agreed, I would definitely do it myself. Pretty much any HID retrofit is quite pricey if you're paying someone else.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Have you measured voltage at the headlight connector yet?

I know you are itchin' for some super fancy headlights, but I bet you could get a great deal more output from the stockers by doing nothing more than a relay mod and better bulbs :)

java

Expedition Leader
Have you measured voltage at the headlight connector yet?

I know you are itchin' for some super fancy headlights, but I bet you could get a great deal more output from the stockers by doing nothing more than a relay mod and better bulbs :)
I haven't! I should check. I'm damn happy with my driving lights, just no good when anyone else is around. I'm not sure I want to mess with headlights just yet.

Chorky

Observer
Nice thread! Love your build. I'm curious to hear what your condensation situation is now that you've been on a few trips. I'm considering doing something similar to you, but on a lower profile. Original thought was a pop up style (like a FWC) but, its basically a tent and condensation sucks, aside from poor insulation - driving me to consider modifying a work box or something. Although, my travel trailer condensates quite a lot at night also.... So have you had any issues, or does the insulation pretty much keep things dry? Have you noticed any uneasy feelings with having a more top-heavy rig than if it were a pop-up style?

java

Expedition Leader
Nice thread! Love your build. I'm curious to hear what your condensation situation is now that you've been on a few trips. I'm considering doing something similar to you, but on a lower profile. Original thought was a pop up style (like a FWC) but, its basically a tent and condensation sucks, aside from poor insulation - driving me to consider modifying a work box or something. Although, my travel trailer condensates quite a lot at night also.... So have you had any issues, or does the insulation pretty much keep things dry? Have you noticed any uneasy feelings with having a more top-heavy rig than if it were a pop-up style?

Thanks!

Condensation, not much you can do about it in the cold, its part of life. We usually leave one of the roof vents open (Crank the fan when cooking!), that helps. I don't get any on the walls or ceiling, its just the window frames for the most part. Also around the back door where I don't have any insulation or vapor barrier on the steel door frame yet. Its better than our old Winnie so far, that would drip from the ceiling after a couple days. I hate wet tents, part of why I wont do pop up, this truck is for use in the fall and winter in the PNW, lots of rain and snow. I don't have a place I could open a pop top up to dry it.

Its a tall truck, but doesn't feel too top heavy. Most of the weight is down low. The batteries and water tank are at floor level. I would love some Helwig sway bars eventually. I can do the corners at the "suggested speed" signs or better 99% of the time. I worry more about low bridges!

If I was getting a custom box made it would be about a foot shorter than this one, although the kid likes the head room in the cab over area. But buying used I am not complaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles