Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
I went back a couple pages and mustve skimmed past what size wheels you have. Interco makes their Irok in a Load H 16ply 36x13.5-19.5. 6400lbs per tire. I can't imagine that it would wear well but who knows.
https://www.intercotire.com/tire/39

Yeah I have seen those, they want a wide wheel though. And are very very soft and bias ply. It is an option however! Those are also the carcass the "Founders MT" is made on for Firematic.

java

Expedition Leader
Playing moto hauler this weekend. Good times!

27be711abab8145b3b44aa8e10dd3da4.jpg

e3ddf31852b9c3a6f7fb3e7cd8154986.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lostih

Observer
.Ok tire musing.

Mpt81's

Rated for 4674 lbs each, and 68mph. I am just under (like within 100lbs) of 5hr load rating, and I would like to do 70 at times. But generally cruising at 65 is fine.

Is this a stupid tire choice?

Discus.....

And this feels like cheating :D
e3f14019c3451dbbfc2b7c419c6a1832.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think I’d jump to the 41”. I was very reticent to do it on mine but am glad I did. I also shied away from the Goodyear because of the increase in size (and $$ too). Carlyle switched from the 275 because he was close to load limit and found they wore poorly. I think you might be in the same boat. That is what pushed me to the 41”...load capacity.

The other option I think I should have researched more is 22.5’s. I think there are some tires in the 37” range that provide your needed load rating. I think for a mainly on road distance machine these might be a good option. Particularly if you go with a front air suspension as I guess they are stiff riding...

My guess is you’ve thought about and researched this quite a bit...what have you found about 22.5’s?

java

Expedition Leader
I think I'd jump to the 41”. I was very reticent to do it on mine but am glad I did. I also shied away from the Goodyear because of the increase in size (and $$ too). Carlyle switched from the 275 because he was close to load limit and found they wore poorly. I think you might be in the same boat. That is what pushed me to the 41”...load capacity.

The other option I think I should have researched more is 22.5's. I think there are some tires in the 37” range that provide your needed load rating. I think for a mainly on road distance machine these might be a good option. Particularly if you go with a front air suspension as I guess they are stiff riding...

My guess is you've thought about and researched this quite a bit...what have you found about 22.5's?

My issue with going larger is needing a lift, I just don't want to do it if I don't need to. I am TALL already.

There are a couple 22.5 options.

275/70r22.5 ~37" tall
Or 315/70 ~38" tall.

Now I would like to run a set of "mini float" alcoas if I was to do those, they are 22.5x9 and come in a couple different back spacing options. Ideally I would have them all in front of me to play with.... Tires (should) be more easily available on the road than the MPT's, but are still a bit of oddball sizes.

Next you need adapters. They have to go from Ford's 10x225 to 10x285 budd. They patterns suck as the inner (Ford) bolts basicaly land under the lip of the new wheels, which means the suds have to go in backwards and the adapter "lugs" are on the back side of the hub. Also the adapters are ~$2k... Another not cheap option. Wheels are $150 ish each used.

Ford's bolt pattern sucks *** to try to work with. I could likely find different unit bearings for the front (or dually adapter/spacer piece) but the rear would be harder.

lostih

Observer
Yeah...I faced the same lug inner lip adapter issue on mine. You're right...the front is pretty easily solved by removing the dually adapter...not sure what BS Alcoas have though and if that makes it work. The rears are just tough to solve. I imagine the hubs could be replaced on the back to use a different bolt pattern...but it seems likely this would result in needing new brake caliper locating etc. I looked at doing this on the rear of mine, but just couldn't find the hub data needed.

Could you run a rear adapter like mine that keeps all the studs out?

One other thing to note is that there are railroad adapters out there that do some of this. They look super beefy and are made by an outfit in georgia. I know they make them for the 8 lug fords to large diameter...not sure if they do 10...

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah...I faced the same lug inner lip adapter issue on mine. You're right...the front is pretty easily solved by removing the dually adapter...not sure what BS Alcoas have though and if that makes it work. The rears are just tough to solve. I imagine the hubs could be replaced on the back to use a different bolt pattern...but it seems likely this would result in needing new brake caliper locating etc. I looked at doing this on the rear of mine, but just couldn't find the hub data needed.

Could you run a rear adapter like mine that keeps all the studs out?

One other thing to note is that there are railroad adapters out there that do some of this. They look super beefy and are made by an outfit in georgia. I know they make them for the 8 lug fords to large diameter...not sure if they do 10...

Ill have to look at the RR adapters, from what I have seen they are really awkward looking though. They seem to run the wheels far inside to match the tracks width.

Your adapters just made the pilot hole smaller didnt basically, mine the lug holes are right on the inner lip of the Budd 10 bolt pilot hole. its 10x225 vs 10x285 (IIRC on the Budd). Very close....

lostih

Observer
Mine had the same issue. I'm stock 10x225 and the wheels have a center bore of something like 221...so the stock bolt pattern splits the bore. I machined the ring you saw in my build thread and then inserted it into the wheel. Then I drilled the stock pattern through the insert/wheel combo. If you disassembled it now you'd have the bore of the wheel with 10 half circles in it. The insert has a large flange though that goes completely around the stock lugs and could be extended to include a 10x285 bolt pattern. You'd have to have them custom made though so they probably would be some $$...but shouldn't be horrible.

java

Expedition Leader
A couple little projects, got the maxtrax mounted on the back door. It will be nice when they are snow and muddy.....

40239032304_c01d30095a_b.jpg

And OBA! It will be nice to be able to air down a little as needed, as well as fill the airbags. Puma 12v compressor, 2.0CFM @40psi, 1.36@90psi, 1.5 gallon tank.
40054088375_5fbd2c6af9_b.jpg

I have a couple options, one to mount it under the truck, it fits just in front of the tool boxes on either side, or under the bed in the back. Under the bed is clean and easy to install, but back doors would need to be opened to turn it on, under the truck is out of the way, but in the dust/mud/spray, and harder to install/plumb/wire.
the easy option.
40239031434_55cc9fa42d_b.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've read good things about that compressor, so please let us know how it preforms for you. Unless it's going to be used for things while you're actually camping, I would probably opt for mounting it inside if possible, just to protect it and prolong it's life. It's really easy to wire in remote control operation for a compressor, so I wouldn't let that stop me from mounting it under the bed.

Is there a way to lock those Maxtrax boards in place so they can't be stolen?

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I've read good things about that compressor, so please let us know how it preforms for you. Unless it's going to be used for things while you're actually camping, I would probably opt for mounting it inside if possible, just to protect it and prolong it's life. It's reality easy to wire in remote control operation for a compressor, so I wouldn't let that stop me from mounting it under the bed.

Is there a way to lock those Maxtrax boards in place so they can't be stolen?

I have heard good things too, its been on my list for years, just happened across a new one on CL. I will let you know. It will get used for blow up toys maybe? But not a lot of use camping other than tires and air bags.

Yes the maxtrax can be locked to the pegs they are mounted on. But its a keeping honest people honest lock, ~5mm shackle at the largest..... Not wild about that, but the mounts are slick. I was looking at it, and an eyebolt and a padlock through one of the handles should be doable. Ill look into the more when its light again.

patoz

Expedition Leader
It will get used for blow up toys maybe?

You mean like this 'Inflatable Ideal Wife'! :agree:

shopping

BTW, is that side door handrail pretty solid when you're using it to go up and down the steps? I'm about to order a set for mine and just wondering.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
You mean like this 'Inflatable Ideal Wife'! :agree:

shopping

Ha I think that might get me in trouble..... Last time she saw one of those she was pregnant! :D It wasn't mine lol, but lets say alcohol and trying to surf on it in the ocean happened (not me, but a good friend) I have pics somewhere.

I was thinking inflatable boat, SUP etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700