Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Neat pics Gabe, thanks for sharing. How was the condensation with all the wet clothing and cold weather?

Window frames and the door sweat a bit. Leaving the roof vent open is a must. But otherwise its great!

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Agreed, great pics.

I realize now it's an antenna, the black one. It looks like a tiki torch, tapped into the on board propane.
Perfect for your rig!

java

Expedition Leader
Agreed, great pics.

I realize now it's an antenna, the black one. It looks like a tiki torch, tapped into the on board propane.
Perfect for your rig!

Thanks guys!

A tiki torch while driving would be fun :D but yes its the antenna for the cell booster.

gtbensley

Explorer
Looks like a blast! I would have been in a panic stuck in an avalanche zone! Looks like you had some fantastic skiing though.

java

Expedition Leader
Looks like a blast! I would have been in a panic stuck in an avalanche zone! Looks like you had some fantastic skiing though.

There was definitely some serious panic factor, about the worst spot I can think of to get stuck....

But the skiing was amazing, fluffy and deep!

java

Expedition Leader
.Ok tire musing.

Mpt81's

Rated for 4674 lbs each, and 68mph. I am just under (like within 100lbs) of 5hr load rating, and I would like to do 70 at times. But generally cruising at 65 is fine.

Is this a stupid tire choice?

Discus.....

And this feels like cheating :D
e3f14019c3451dbbfc2b7c419c6a1832.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mattersnots

Adventurer
I decided to go with the Goodyears instead. It was a difficult choice because they are twice the cost. From what I've read and heard the 81's are very soft and don't wear well especially on a heavy vehicle. Sounds like they start out as an excellent tire. Quiet, great on and off-road, and decent rolling resistance. It's just as they get older they go out of round and start cupping etc. I even read somewhere that they only lasted 20k miles on a heavy truck. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade. What I say certainly isn't gospel. This is just what I've picked up after the last couple months of starting at the monitor. I'd love to hear some real world use comments. I'll know more about the Goodyears at the end of summer. Good luck and keep us posted.

java

Expedition Leader
Yes I agree the Goodyear's are a better tire, I just am trying to stay away from a 42" tire if I at all can. Added lift is no good for me....

java

Expedition Leader
Would going to MPT81's mean super singles? Sorry so many tires I lose track.

Yes going to singles if I do the MPT81's.

However I remembered the wheels I was looking at are 11" wide..... The Specs for the 275/80r20 call for a 9". I think that may be stretching the tire too much.

Thoughts?

Healeyjet

Explorer
Not to sway you and I know you don't want the 41" Goodyears but Annie and I have over 40,000 miles on our Goodyear G275's and I won't hesitate to take another 6,000 mile trip on them. Before we leave on our next trip I will slide by the tire shop for their approval but they look good to me. Keep in mind that this is our first set on the Cruiser so we ran them at non-optimal tire pressures off and on for the first 25,000 miles to see what worked best.
Ward

java

Expedition Leader
Not to sway you and I know you don't want the 41" Goodyears but Annie and I have over 40,000 miles on our Goodyear G275's and I won't hesitate to take another 6,000 mile trip on them. Before we leave on our next trip I will slide by the tire shop for their approval but they look good to me. Keep in mind that this is our first set on the Cruiser so we ran them at non-optimal tire pressures off and on for the first 25,000 miles to see what worked best.
Ward

I just don't think I can fit them, otherwise I would be all over it. They are much better on road tire IMO. I am with you!

It would also require a lift and a re-gear (which both add to the cost). Lift is not too much $$, but I really don't want to add height if I can help it. I will be just about 12' tall with just the tires, add a lift and I am dangerously close to the 12'6" limit..... A 2" block in the front and rear should do it, and cutting the front fenders out. A 335/80r20 will add ~4.5" under the axle also....

Anyone that has them on a Ford pattern (10x225mm) is more than welcome to come by and let me try them on for size :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles