Interesting dealer remarks

kerry

Expedition Leader
Dropped off my 99 FG at the dealer today to install the front spring bushings. He made some interesting comments. First he told me never to sell my truck. It was the best truck Fuso made. Then he showed me some interesting warranty records on newer trucks, both 2012 (I think). First one had had two replacement transmissions. Second had over $100k of warranty work including two new engines and a $20k cold weather PCV retrofit. Turns out the PCV system freezes up in cold weather, building up excessive crankcase pressure, blowing out the turbo seals, sending all the oil down into the DPF system and then causing the engine to seize up. Holy cow.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Well, I'm knocking on wood. Got a 2012, still waiting on recall notice for the PCV/DPF/DEF/Turbo work.

I think pretty much all of them had to have replacement transmissions after the first ones were contaminated while being assembled. My second trans is working fine. I still say that if there's a serious issue with mine, I'll do an engine swap.

kerry

Expedition Leader
One thing I wondered after talking to him was why they didn't put a pressure gauge on the PCV system to given an indication that it was frozen up before the turbo seals blew. I'm also curious as to how a PCV system can freeze up.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Good question. When I spoke with the tech, trying to clarify what the issue is, he said that the PCV is actually not a simple PCV. It spins to throw off the oil into the system and apparently the software parameters give very little room for pressure variances. I'd think that if it was frozen up and not working there'd be a red flashing ENGSYS light going, but then again when I had my issue a few weeks ago, the only thing that came on was the amber check engine light (not the ENGSYS light). Came on while returning from a trip, I didn't notice any difference in engine performance.

I really need to tilt the cab and look things over. Might be worthwhile to keep a PCV onboard, it's not too expensive.

yabanja

Explorer
2000 Model

I was also told that My 2000 model was the best year. I feel so lucky to have it.

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online