Fly Trip, Western US in April 2017

davis31052

Adventurer
So, next year in April is my 50th. For the past 10 yrs. my son and I have been camping and fishing in north Georgia, as a father son trip, around my birthday. Being that this a milestone b'day (never thought I'd make it this far :jumping: ) This trip we want to do something we've talked about each time we went to NGA.

That being a 3 to 5 day trip out west for some trout/salmon fishing and sight seeing. I know April might be a little early as out west in the higher elevations, its nothing like here in Georgia where we wear shorts and t-shirts year round. We are looking for some input from locals who can put us on a good guide service, lodging, scenic wonders and all within a budget.

Certainly this request is very broad and lacking in specific details as to what we want and where. Problem is we don't know yet. We are just in the pre-planning stages now.

Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks, Eddie

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
There's the potential for some serious mountain runoff in April. Completely blown out rivers depending on the season.... sounds fun anyways!

GregSplett

Adventurer
I live on the Olympic Penninsula, Washington state.Our lakes do not open until the last sat. in April and rivers not until last Sat in June.

outofrshell

Adventurer
April in Wyoming could be good, the ice can be off of the lower waters (many of the streams are running clear in April) and our run off doesn't really get started until May of coarse this all depends on the weather. The Cody area east of Yellowstone Park has some great potential and caters to fly fishing. Any where along the west side of the Big Horn Mountains will have open water by April and there are a lot of small streams flow out of it. I have a couple of friends on the east side of the BHMts that may be of help to plan a fishy vacation. Stay in touch if this interest you. Dave

OldCrow

I live on the Olympic Penninsula, Washington state.Our lakes do not open until the last sat. in April and rivers not until last Sat in June.

This isn't quite accurate for the original poster's plan.

River fishing on the OP for hatchery Springers (early returning Chinook salmon) will be open on the Sol Duc. Getting them to bite a fly is another story... A few of the steelhead rivers that have hatchery steelhead stay open into April; Bogachiel, Calawah, Hoh. If you do come to the OP and want to actually see a fish, your best bet is to invest in a day with a local guide. If you just want to hike around some beautiful rivers and wet a line you'll be in luck as all the rivers are amazing. Check our regulations closely, Washington rules around salmon/steelhead are complicated.

There are a number of rivers open year-round such as the Yakima in Washington as well as options in Idaho/Montana. The trouble will be hitting the very small window of good fishing that happens as the days lengthen before the snowmelt runoff gets cranking.

Consider OR too but the same caveats apply there too.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:

thefishhawk

Adventurer
April you could definitely focus on the famous tailwaters that will fish year-round, it just depends on what else you want to see. San Juan (side trip could be Mesa Verde NP or Chaco Canyon), Frying Pan and Roaring Fork in Colorado (Aspen/Glenwood Springs), Green Below Flaming Gorge (Not much around there but maybe Dinosaur NP), Bighorn at Ft. Smith (Little Bighorn Battlefield maybe), Lee's Ferry, Colorado river below Glen Canyon (Grand Canyon/Lake Powell). Just off the top of my head. April will definitely be hit or miss on weather. Runnoff won't have started yet at least for the high mountain areas but our smaller creek fishing won't be open yet either. That would be a great time to roll through somewhere like Moab and see the sights on your way somewhere.

McBride

Adventurer
+2 on the San Juan in NW New Mexico - maybe when you are heading west. I've had some very good April days there. Google it and you'll see.

William

davis31052

Adventurer
McBride,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking at that area quite a bit. In fact, I recently picked up a used book on Colorado and came across some info on the San Juan skyway. Info I found about that drive, as well as the towns connected by it, have peaked my interest even more. I am focusing my efforts there now. Any thoughts on the weather in late April, thru May. We plan to take fly rods and equipment to wet a line here and there, but the main focus will be just enjoying seeing this part of the country.

Eddie

thefishhawk

Adventurer
could be 60, could be a two foot blizzard, it's going to be impossible to know until right before the trip. Some awesome mountains down there, you are going to see a lot of snow and pretty country.

davis31052

Adventurer
Ok, we are pulling the trigger on this shooting for the first week of May 2017. Plans are to fly into Farmington NM and then north to Durango for 4 days in and around the San Juan Skyway. Plans are to visit Mesa Verde, Telluride, Ouray, Silverton and any other spot that strikes our fancy along the way. I'm open to suggestions for places to see from folks who have been here. We are still wanting plan to fish a little if its doable, and we can get info on some good spot not too far off the main roads as we will be using a rental car for travels. Looking forward to read your suggestions to help us fill these four days.

TIA!

Last edited:

anjin007

Colorado Fishing

davis31052,

I grew up in the area and you are shooting for the right parts. The San Juan (Texas Creek) is the place to go below Navajo Dam just south of Durango. Get used to throwing a size 18-22 size fly with fluorocarbon leader. The San Juan is world class.

If I may suggest heading North East out of Durango to Montrose and fishing the Gunnison. If this is too much for you, you may want to also consider the Taylor River just North of Gunnison. Google "Taylor River Hog Trough" and select images. This is very technical fishing but rewarding for the patient. Another consideration is the Arkansas River near Buena Vista, CO and the Middle Fork South River near Hartsel, CO. You can finish up by flying out of Colorado Springs or Denver.

I hope you guys enjoy the trip!

davis31052

Adventurer
Our trip departure is quickly approaching. Headed out on the 28th of May for a week in and around Durango and Telluride. Planning to bring the fly rods and gear, and hopefully get an opportunity to wet a line during our trip. Any locals on here who can make suggestions on the best places to eat and places to avoid. PM me if you like.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Not a local, but I slammed fish in Telluride right on the river walk along the san miguel. Most people in the town will tell you to drive a bit for far better fishing, which is true, but I did not have a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles