2000 Ford Explorer

So, I've just gotten myself a new vehicle. A 2000 Explorer XLT with 185k km on it. 4.0l SOHC engine and auto transmission. So far all I have done to it is put a new stereo head unit in it, and take the running boards and bug visor off. Next on the list is tires, not sure which yet. The plan for this truck is my daily driver, and expedition/overland camper vehicle. I want to be able to go a lot of more remote places, and being from lower mainland BC I think I won't have too many issues with that. I will upload some pictures later if anyone is interested. I would also be open to suggestions on tires, and other mods from people.

Thanks,
Riley

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Welcome. A 2nd gen Explorer is a great choice for a vehicle. Take a look at the link in my signature to see what I did with mine. While I don't necessarily suggest you go as far as I did with mine, there is some good info there and hopefully it gives you some ideas.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Excellent...
Like to see Explorers (and jeeps)... my '03 is a good (DD) Daily driver and, so far, an excellent civilized camping vehicle (haven't really had it off road yet).
...Anxiously waiting for snow to see how it works on the street in 4WD (I have a short steep section of street nearby that is a real pain in the snow in 2wd)...
I see you also have the auto; so is mine, got a rebuild last June/July...
Front tow points? F150 loops worked for my 03... Haven't searched the scrapyard for rear points/hooks/loops yet.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Re; tires; I still have some miles left on the nasty/unsuitable even for light off road use, IMO, NoName All Terrains that came on mine; I'm torn about what to get when they are worn out but given my results using BFG mud tires in the past (IMO, a good medium traction off road tire) I'll likely go with something in the 12.50/medium width range from them; tire selection is very individual/subjective thing, IMO. For me traction trumps all other concerns except longevity but for others noise and ride are important so this kind of tire might not be the best choice.

Axle gears can have a great impact on performance (or lack of it if too large diameter a tire is selected) given my 3.73 gearing (check the axle code to find what yours likely is) I suspect that I will no go larger than a 32" diameter Possibly 33 if it will fit, although my gut tells me that this is too large the torque converter slippage in the transmission may make up the needed difference when starting from a stop on the street. Note; 3.73s and 32 or 33s have proven unsatisfactory with manual transmissions in my experience.

I am also torn on the issue of lockers, Since this is going to be my li'le-ol'-man daily driver/granny mobile, I really don't want the issues that a short wheel base (my sport is shorter than regular explorers) can give with automatic lockers in/on the slippery... I also need to count my front diff cover bolts to see if I have a Dana 30S (10 bolts) or a Dana 35 (12 bolts) front diff... I would really like to try trutrack differentials but I'm not sure they make a suitable version for Explorers, ARBs will be my fall back plan If I go with lockers... an item that provides a little incentive toward lockers is that they would give me an opportunity to fine tune the drive train, once I select the tire size, by changing the gear ratio, if 32/33ss should prove unsatisfactory with the automatic tranny.

The fuel tank really could use some protection; I'll likely fab a skid plate.
My rear leaf springs are in definite need of some TLC; after it gets warm this spring I'll do an in depth inspection and decide on replacements.

In my experience lockers and good driving technique almost make a winch redundant but I am considering hiding a stealth Warn (small 9,000 pound racing winch) behind my license plate (need to do some serious measuring).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have a Trutrac in both of my axles. They work pretty well except for deep snow or with one wheel really loaded up. I stay away from mud as best as I can. Most dry conditions they are invisible and just power me through things.

Lockers can get you more stuck. A winch will get you out. Most winches will fit between the frame rails in front of the radiator on Explorers.

I have 4.56 gears with 33s. It's basically the equivalent of the factory size and the optional 4.10 ratio. I think it's a great ratio. Plenty of zip off the line and power in the mountains yet even with my lift and huge frontal area, I still get 16 mpg on the highway.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Yeh, I hear you...I don't like mud myself (and even less after it loads up ATs and stops forward progress... I like mud terrains because good ones work were all terrains typically give up; gravel (decayed granite) rocks, some forms of snow etc.
Thanx for the eval. of Trutracs, its pretty much what I was hoping for.
My experience with lockers is that they don't quit so you can get through if even one tire has grip, on ice however they just screw downhill and hinder rather than help (I'd rather be open on road in the winter).... selectable lockers are probably best in snow country, IMO.... For wheeling in snow deep enough that you will be high centered if you stop, lockers also help. For this kind of wheeling I found Boggers or other extreme mud tires to be the best except on side hills where Boggers sometimes tend to ski sideways (make your heart go pity pat in the mountains). Note; the on road life of Boggers and other extreme mud tires is worse than terrible.
My view on winches is; basically they are, primarily, for rescuing other people, I haven't used mine (on the Jeep) for myself in years... the last time was to turn around in the middle of a trail in knee deep snow.
The idea is to stay physically small with the winch to keep reasonably good air flow to the radiator and tranny cooler, also there is no real need for me to transport an extra 75 pounds or more everywhere, all the time, when it literally may never get used.
I had 4.56s and 33s on a Jeep for years but they resulted in excessive RPM on the highway (4 spd). My mileage and performance improved when I went to 4.56s and 35s on the CJ-7 (5 spd). The biggest downside to 35s is that they make vehicle entry more difficult due to the lift that they usually require (got short legs). I probably won't do heavy rock with the Explorer (got the Jeep for that) so I probably wont need deep reduction, although I really like it for crawling in the Jeep (4:1 transfer case gears); I figure on optimizing the Explorer gearing for mileage while still keeping reasonable street performance... reminds me; need to look up the torque curve on this ol' 4.0.

... getting older and slower...
...want to keep the explorer as a, relatively, civilized daily driver/camping vehicle...
Enjoy

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to get back to you! Been busy at work, but since I last posted I have bought new tires as the stock ones let me down in our first snow of the season. I went with BFG T/A KO2's in a 245/75 R16 as they were sold out of the stock size. I've also put a thule ski rack on top. Well, here are the photos I have so far.
IMG_1947.jpg
This one should be exactly as it was purchased.
IMG_1949.jpg
First thing I did is get rid of the running boards.
IMG_1978.jpg
As she sits now with the new shoes and the roof rack stuff.

Lockers are still on my agenda for the future, but that's just research. I might just swap a limited slip 8.8 in and call it a day. A winch is definitely something I am thinking of, just not sure if I will keep it hidden in the stock bumper or try and get a winch bumper made up. I'm also still torn on if I should just do a body lift or the 4" superlift. On the note of gearing, if I recall correctly I have 4.10s, so I think I'm probably good there unless I go really crazy. I'm thinking of skid plates for the front diff, and the gas tank. Also, do any of you know where I could get a swing out rear tire carrier bumper for this thing?

Thanks, Riley.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Looking good!
Like the color.
explorer and Jeep DSCF0236.jpg
I personally don't care for large lifts having lived with the Jeep and 5+ inches of lift to clear the 35s. I say if the tires don't rub its likely not necessary (but if you want it; do it!).
Probably the easiest way to determine the axle ratio (though not necessarily the most certain) is to look on the driver's door sticker for the axle code;
Explorer
Code Ratio
41 Open 3.27
43 Open 3.08
44 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D1 L/S 3.27
D2 L/S 4.10
D4 L/S 3.73
D5 L/S 3.73

L/S - Limited Slip Differential

When I do the next scrap yard run (for F150 tow points (front loops to go in the rear) and replacement rear springs) I plan on looking for a fuel tank skid (and maybe a skid for the front diff (way cheaper there than purchasing new and easier than fabricating them)... lots of folks wheel Rangers around here so there should be some in the yard, eventually...
I too, have been considering a spare tire carrier but with the lift gate it may not work particularly well. Unless I find one at the scrap yard in good shape I will probably make do with the stock "winch up" spare.

Enjoy!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Lockers are still on my agenda for the future, but that's just research. I might just swap a limited slip 8.8 in and call it a day.

If you're going to spend the time and effort to do it, don't go with the factory LS. Get an ARB locker or Truetrac LSD or something.

I'm also still torn on if I should just do a body lift or the 4" superlift.

You've got only 30s on there now. 33x12.5 will fit with a 3" body lift without touching the torsion bars (and maybe some light trimming). I didn't like the resulting ride on mine when I cranked up on my torsion bars. I wouldn't spend the money on the Superlift.

I'm thinking of skid plates for the front diff, and the gas tank.

the front diff is pretty well protected by the front cross member. But RCi makes a "skid plate" to help deflect some stuff away from the cross member. The gas tank on my '97 has a skid plate. I've pivoted the entire truck on it while hung up on a rock. Works for me.

Also, do any of you know where I could get a swing out rear tire carrier bumper for this thing?

Check out RLC Welding.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Check out RLC Welding.

... Or take a welding class, or two, get a welder and make your own accessories... like under armor, skids, tire carriers bumpers etc...
It takes a bit of skill but a fair modern MIG setup (like a 220 volt Miller or Hobart) is easy to learn; start small and work up to bigger projects...

Definitely get certified if you plan on making trailers/tube framed rock buggies or other projects where a weld failure could cause injury/death.

Welding is one of those skills that will stand you in good stead the rest of your life.

Enjoy!

Ryan87LX

Observer
Great start! I have a 1997 5.0 4x4 - I think Explorers are great platforms to build on. Looking forward to seeing more of your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles