Overlanding Mexico, Is anyone else out there?

GR8ADV

Explorer
Great thread for anyone thinking of heading south now or in the future. Keep up the postings everyone.

Jaunt

Observer
I almost forgot we went to see Monte Alban before leaving Oaxaca, very impressive place, wouldn't miss it if you're in the area. As with all the ruins we've visited GO EARLY. We always make sure to get to the place at the time they open, usually have the place to ourselves and by the time we leave the hoards of tourists are showing up.

We did some urban camping before going to the Overlander Oasis

BkQG8xM.jpg

Sunrise before going to the ruins

OC1R1rS.jpg

CuiIogY.jpg

9IjBbJS.jpg

1nEUY4z.jpg

Jaunt

Observer
Great thread for anyone thinking of heading south now or in the future. Keep up the postings everyone.

Thanks!

OK, back on track. After leaving San Jose del Pacifico we descended the mountains for the coast, definitely the most twisty road I've ever driven, I'm glad I wasn't in a combi!

The forest turned more into jungle the lower we got and the heat got intense fast, we encountered some military but they just waived us by. Strangely we never got stopped at any checkpoints in southern Mexico, only north of Mexico City.

vRlPBRn.jpg

Once we reached the coast we cruised over to a pueblo called Barra Copalita to rest for the day/night. We found a spot on ioverlander called Comedor Prehispanica located right on the river. A magical place, family owned & operated, beautiful plants around, birds and chickens running about. we stayed there overnight in exchange for a delicious meal and some cold beers. The river brought some well needed relief from the heat. We left in the morning and started heading for Chiapas.

IZOVQQn.jpg

Fy1YN9L.jpg

We were cruising along nicely through an area called La Ventosa, a massive stretch of highway lined with wind turbines when we were stopped by a road block that stretched for several miles on each end. We ended up being stuck there for about seven hours! Interestingly enough we met some other travelers who ended up being right behind us and a young Mexican guy in front of us who was on his way to give a talk at a renewable energy conference in Chiapas, we all ended up hanging out and talking to pass the time. Once the sun was down the road opened back up and we drove an hour to an improvised camp spot located at a Hotel off the highway. The road block was somewhat miserable as it was very hot outside and we had almost no water or food but I'm really glad our paths crossed with the other people we met, I love how that works out.

CBBniNs.jpg

sweating it out!

ANDr3RI.jpg

Our Swiss buddies behind us

g0gZW8F.jpg

Jaunt

Observer
Here's a little throw back to a few months ago back in Hidalgo, El Chico national park, reminded us a lot of Colorado. When you think of Mexico, a place like this does not come to mind. Suffice to say, it got COLD at night.

qj1FR44.jpg

RkJa3Me.jpg

M35NPMV.jpg

We were so close to scooping this little guy up

dbZwxyK.jpg

RJzWQQR.jpg

But it warmed up nicely during the day

Ez9Jqok.jpg

TmAGWQ7.jpg

cJcaJuv.jpg

gh1Tahh.jpg

ree4U2C.jpg

uJEMjkX.jpg

2Fo4JiO.jpg

9PY0o5c.jpg

This guy was also super friendly and always trying to follow us around :sombrero:

YVXFe3i.jpg

Jaunt

Observer
Real del Monte was also close by and we stayed there for about a week, one of the coolest pueblo magicos for sure.

Ih5Mo2H.jpg

DkcIXQ6.jpg

SbodxSw.jpg

ajMecxn.jpg

gijoel

Great write ups. May I ask about any crimes toward you or your rig? I'm planning a very similar route here soon with my rig.

Jaunt

Observer
Great write ups. May I ask about any crimes toward you or your rig? I'm planning a very similar route here soon with my rig.

Thanks! No problems whatsoever. People/kids will lean/sit on it but its all good, can't be uptight about stuff like that imo.

Jaunt

Observer
So we have officially wrapped up our tour of Mexico, back in eastern PA now visiting family for a few weeks after doing a cannonball style run here from Laredo TX. Being back in the US almost feels like a foreign country, definitely have to readjust to life here. Although I must say it is quite comfortable, we have the RV parked in my dad's driveway for the time being and are enjoying the comforts of being in a full sized house, currently kicked back on a reclining sofa with a beer, some smoke, using as much electricity/water as we want and fast wifi on tap.

When we crossed are Laredo we were met with much suspicion after stating we had been in Mexico for close to six months, while being unemployed. We were immediately questioned about what we were doing and how we were able to afford such a trip :rolleyes: we were then pulled over for a thorough inspection while other RVs filled with retirees were sent on their way. Obviously with nothing to hide we let them do their thing and after seemingly being disappointed in not finding any drugs we were also set free back in our native country. One of the border agents was also surprised to hear we had no safety issues the entire time we were down there. So this set of photo's will start down in Chiapas and follow our way back to the border, here we go :ylsmoke:

Once we reached the coast of Oaxaca we kept heading south for Chiapas with the plan to revisit the Oaxacan beaches on our way back north. The first major stop was San Cristobal de las Casas, spent about ten days there just bumming around, it was on the chilly side with a bit of rain about half the time we spent there. We spent a couple nights at in the Chedraui parking lot but then found a level street parking spot closer into town and spent our time there with no issues.

Excuse some of the photo quality, I dropped my main camera and broke it, then relying on a seven year old P&S and iphone.

First thing we did was hit the main market and shopped for souvenirs

lzkhG8x.jpg

JWyd960.jpg

cJGEyYG.jpg

mzsxgaR.jpg

EnYnfTW.jpg

Cl0M7WK.jpg

vlZ6jnj.jpg

Coffee break!

3DG0kb9.jpg

Some more shots from around town

l34VP7s.jpg

5LztLlH.jpg

YPjIRCU.jpg

fJD2h8z.jpg

K19r2E9.jpg

SKbPcOJ.jpg

RuIndVp.jpg

NyPjOMP.jpg

jDh1rxu.jpg

AJanPsT.jpg

Last edited:

Jaunt

Observer
Up next was heading for the Mayan ruins of Tonina, the drive led through Zapatista country, lush mountain roads, wet weather and many many topes. This was one of our favorite ruins sites as there were no other people there and we found a local guide who was super knowledgable and provided much more in depth material than anything you can read about the place online. Spanish only though, luckily my Wife was able to translate whatever I couldn't understand. There was a pretty keen boondocking campground right down the road that we stayed at overnight before touring the ruins.

rkfZfCI.jpg

OkfYZBx.jpg

eEXEvY8.jpg

OfbdB1i.jpg

AKXp9s0.jpg

El Chocolate

FVOPype.jpg

Walking to the site

OQqvosW.jpg

WqzDclo.jpg

jxypb6u.jpg

A sculpture of a Mayan danzante, some of the original paint still remains.

pHOrtjV.jpg

4eKF4Ex.jpg

9b1OGV4.jpg

Our guide Eliseo said we could climb up to the highest point of the pyramid but we respectfully declined and instead took a photo of him there, lol.

T707WK0.jpg

More to come in a little while...

Last edited:

Jaunt

Observer
After leaving Tonina the trip back north started, our last destination in Chiapas was Sumidero Canyon, took a guided boat ride down the river and back, it was pretty sweet, saw wild monkeys and crocodiles for the first time ever.

lr1fPop.png

5khQ8nK.jpg

hVyHaYC.jpg

tiWcfEL.jpg

Now is when the beach tour started, the coast was really hot already by mid March, the first spot Playa Cangrejo in Oaxaca had very cold water though, literally felt like an ice bath, but was so good with the high heat. Found a restaurant in town with showers where we ate once a day in exchange for a grassy parking spot with some shade.

qKolFmY.png

lWbFhUn.jpg

KQHhf7E.jpg

ZrUQU41.jpg

4q57joR.jpg

B4XJpgL.jpg

Next we headed to Playa Zicatela (Puerto Escondido) and stayed at a nice little campground right in town, the owner was an OG mexican grandma hippie, lol :cool: The water here was not swimmable due to the insanely strong current and huge surf waves so we hitched taxi's to the nearby Playa Carrizalillo which is in a cove that had zero riptide and very chill waves, seemed like a great place to learn how to surf if you're into that, the locals give lessons and rent boards right there. It was one of the most scenic beaches I've ever witnessed.

aDBcvXo.png

UbUdEJh.jpg

JXlyKsf.jpg

Our next stop was somewhere we had been looking forward to very much, a beach in Guerrero only familiar with locals called Playa Ventura, similar deal as before, stayed at a family owned & operated restaurant that had a little cabana paradise setup on the beach. Killer food and Awesome hosts. We had a great spot which was shaded until about noon time and a constant fresh ocean breeze, this place was hard to leave!

KmBQNkH.png

Kyvag83.jpg

dL9z0r5.jpg

080Mq8w.jpg

wUEJ6qw.jpg

pTCn6Ee.jpg

wlnZAa5.jpg

rA8l5Hx.jpg

Last edited:

Jaunt

Observer
After staying at Playa Ventura for five days we moved on further north to a place we had visited before but wanted to stop by again and visit some friends we had made there.

9JP32Ho.png

The night before we left another couple showed up in their custom built Toyota pickup, some of the only other Americans we met.

ESOvame.jpg

Now was a big journey ahead of us, the goal was to drive from Acapulco to San Miguel de Allende in one shot. The route went right through Mexico City and took about 10.5 hours from start to finish.

u9udzWZ.png

We were relieved though to cover so much ground and reaching another milestone. This was our second time in San Miguel and similar as Playa Bonfil we wanted to hang out with friends we had met earlier in the journey. Who knows maybe someday we'll rent an apartment or a small ranch outside of town in the future since we know a community of people there now and that makes it very enticing.

GlD5xR8.jpg

9G2znJ6.jpg

LhLC8PF.jpg

fG1ETrq.jpg

ap9YkCA.jpg

b7ih4Nw.jpg

After another week we left with our friends and headed to the desert in San Luis Potosi for a little getaway in a very rural pueblo. After the weekend was over we all headed to Real de Catorce and did some hiking in the surrounding mountains.

xteCGB5.png

aOQaavR.jpg

mcb4TZS.jpg

TQRVQzR.jpg

G4YI7Cv.jpg

l7q0Cdh.jpg

aYQepXa.jpg

gKcDRLR.jpg

lnutkQg.jpg

fZIwSu0.jpg

S8Iia0B.jpg

7RNbc5p.jpg

B3FPOH1.jpg

We were getting ready to start heading back to Real de Catorce and this guy showed up out of nowhere, looking lost, hungry and very thirsty...

Kxiqh49.jpg

So we gave him some water and he followed us back to town :)

hcBrLEB.jpg

Last edited:

Jaunt

Observer
Stayed in Real de Catorce for a week before semana santa, we got a good parking spot in town but by the time we left on good friday the place was PACKED. Very cool town... very unique compared to most other "pueblo magicos"

4oiRZ76.jpg

qX0y88L.jpg

9UENH6U.jpg

rHwFNqZ.jpg

nYepVgc.jpg

t0OtHvE.jpg

AipOOya.jpg

KTsYBqf.jpg

l8y6V72.jpg

Saltillo was the last stay for a couple nights before crossing the border at Nuevo Laredo, pretty cool small city.

iKvEBDB.png

covsdZO.jpg

t2xaIuD.jpg

zssLclb.jpg

8a2FZZv.jpg

hVBMkYv.jpg

r9teCPq.jpg

SQ0fcwM.jpg

C1MI6pr.jpg

ADLGMkn.jpg

dyemJ1V.jpg

ql5ySye.jpg

Last edited:

Grabow

Adventurer
Awesome! Looks like a great trip!
Your photos of San Cristobal and the beaches in southern Oaxaca are killing me! Mexico is such an amazing country, I can't wait to get back!

Also, we had the same exact experience crossing back in to the states. Border patrol wanted to know how we could have afforded it, and acted amazed that we didn't run into any trouble. When we asked the guards how much time they had spent in Mexico, the whole group said they had never been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke