Overlanding Mexico, Is anyone else out there?

Jaunt

Observer
The Wife and I downsized from an apartment and into our Toyota RV, quit our jobs in October and have been in Mexico now for about a month, currently in San Miguel de Allende. Just wondering if anyone else is out there? Our plan is to be around for about six months... Granted this is a giant country, we haven't met many other travelers yet and always like meeting new people. We'll be heading to the pacific coast soon stopping in Morelia and driving through Michoacan to the coast in Guerrero, then probably south to Oaxaca from there. If you're around post here and maybe we'll cross paths sometime!

Also what were other peoples experiences camping in wilderness south of the border? We have mostly been in urban area's so far but really itching to spend some time away from the noise and get more info the nature side of things. Cheers :ylsmoke:

psYXSsd.jpg

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Not currently in Mexico but have been and can attest to it's beauty - you're going to love Oaxaca!

Consider hitting Copper Canyon on your way back if you didn't stop there on your way down.

Happy trails!

Far Raider

Hi Jaunt, we're not there yet but the weather up here in OR is turning so my wife and I are heading south in the next couple of weeks or so. We are just finishing (hahahahaha) Ver 0.9 of our 1994 Type 1 Ambo build and have no concrete plans except we have discussed spending some time in El Potero Chico around New Years for some rock climbing. Then we will likely make our way West to ferry to Baja. Between those two points, we talked about San Miguel de Allende, Copper Canyon and hell, even the Gulf and Guatamala. I seriously doubt all that will happen this trip but would like to meet up if we're in the neighborhood!
Have fun.
James

Jaunt

Observer
Not currently in Mexico but have been and can attest to it's beauty - you're going to love Oaxaca!

Consider hitting Copper Canyon on your way back if you didn't stop there on your way down.

Happy trails!

Didn't hit Copper Canyon because we were so eager to cross the border, but yeah sometime for sure, thanks!

Have a wonderful time. Be safe.

:sombrero:

Hi Jaunt, we're not there yet but the weather up here in OR is turning so my wife and I are heading south in the next couple of weeks or so. We are just finishing (hahahahaha) Ver 0.9 of our 1994 Type 1 Ambo build and have no concrete plans except we have discussed spending some time in El Potero Chico around New Years for some rock climbing. Then we will likely make our way West to ferry to Baja. Between those two points, we talked about San Miguel de Allende, Copper Canyon and hell, even the Gulf and Guatamala. I seriously doubt all that will happen this trip but would like to meet up if we're in the neighborhood!
Have fun.
James

Cool! Definitely check out Guanajuato City as well if you're near SMA, spent a couple weeks there and it was great. That's where we met up with some other people heading to Argentina.

8lHTFpog.jpg

Oaxaca Campground

Oaxaca Campground

Be sure to get yourselves over here to Oaxaca. There is not only the city itself but the surrounding mountain villages. Lots of fascinating customs and culture. Then head to the coast of Oaxaca - Puerto Escondido, Puerto Angel, Zipolite, etc. Please stop by the campground here just outside of the city and say "Hi"! :sombrero:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Michoacan ? I am not so sure I am that brave to camp remote there myself. Safe travels !

Jaunt

Observer
Be sure to get yourselves over here to Oaxaca. There is not only the city itself but the surrounding mountain villages. Lots of fascinating customs and culture. Then head to the coast of Oaxaca - Puerto Escondido, Puerto Angel, Zipolite, etc. Please stop by the campground here just outside of the city and say "Hi"! :sombrero:

:ylsmoke:

Michoacan ? I am not so sure I am that brave to camp remote there myself. Safe travels !

I just meant anywhere in general... lots of wilderness parks in this country.

My wife and I will be heading down Baja in about a week and we intend on being there until New Year's then taking the ferry to the mainland. Whereabouts will you be in early January? We think it would be fun to meet up with some folks along the way. If you see us in our Dodge/Alaskan make sure to flag us down!

30607965635_95b3234c90_k.jpg

Jaunt

Observer
My wife and I will be heading down Baja in about a week and we intend on being there until New Year's then taking the ferry to the mainland. Whereabouts will you be in early January? We think it would be fun to meet up with some folks along the way. If you see us in our Dodge/Alaskan make sure to flag us down!

January we may be in Oaxaca/Chiapas or possibly Yucatan. I'll be updating this thread from time to time and hopefully others will too with where they're at, so who knows!

We'll keep our eyes our for you!

Gonna check out the Cañada de la Virgen ruins on Saturday, then head to Sierra de Pénjamo to try and find some wild camping, nearby there are some more ancient ruins :costumed-smiley-007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peralta_(Mesoamerican_site)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plazuelas

Jaunt

Observer
A few pics taken along the way so far...

The road traveled to this point

OxETzy8.png

Some street camping in Saltillo

qoqdgzh.jpg

Guanajuato

9AC4yL6.jpg

lkq60EJ.jpg

The streets are very narrow!

LN73tRG.jpg

San Miguel de Allende

8LiNGRu.jpg

YPtgv06.jpg

v1cnwes.jpg

Canada de la Virgen

CWoefwQ.jpg

JyZwYJl.jpg

QpGv5V7.jpg

7e5oXhQ.jpg

L9K9Y8a.jpg

Judoka

Learning To Live
KEEP IT COMING

Please keep those pics and reports coming! Loving the ride along. Inspiring me to make another run South!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles