Just a Pic of something I'm working on...

Steve1814

Nexus 7 LTE with full voice control.... Gen 2.5 JDM nav console

NAVoIp5LMElzp7_FXkZb3PQ4aQ1IdFo9LJMEsEY2TNwXN5p2YdPNwN7wgCS6SB2qYx4ZxhWaGz0TO428ZmAqN3BdtvMGrpmk5AeGwBFf1Z7CvqRYhPfNYknX0W-SWag7A45LTrWeCNu4EB9CI7ncLa2S-5eRf7bhqgJGmZ27oLcybywkvv6uKamWad3G782lgFnWKlvpFIhUq_n-FlXpe28sC6f-ozCdNknRRt2KdQR3DJSWs1DIH6ZoBUEclFb4L1RhvlIsA5zOCIyzWAC_nkl0RIVWDrEMwjRmPmwBUCu0F6a3HE3KPGnD150Ff7fIWVN2QY8Ix86UU_qVrARfyp0bLyn4JHnRa0sfJclhPiKLwAgZCsbCI_RULvVUVC0HNW1hBs2K739XF7JArrwzFWg0TLbT164Zm9th1HgRjRqCP2NXlhfFxVwcQJH6LPvNeySU6yfcHoEZ2tgtOXmHyCkwy8gJ5zb4rzCp4mSRoEzDEHxrAlZE_JTYlxsBRg6PlNfIlZ3vyJFgJQDUiBd1ETNq8nPbx8htoPXzt5CnZ5ccU_D_fLlbUPQKNhUcnvW3rHtXtLsAg5CK0Lo1VK7jY17rx7uwvtfddg1xK-KvOFbjP35s=w1670-h940-no

Working on Steering wheel controls as well...

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Nice! been looking at those gen 2 nav pods for years, I was thinking of just running it as is but I like your idea much better. Good work

1morebike

Adventurer
We are going to need a build thread on this. I have all 8.3 that Im going to use I'm also have a Bluetooth amp that Im going to try out.

Steve1814

I didn't take picture of the assembly, just the final working shot before I installed it in the Monty. Wasn't hard to do, but getting the tablet to do all the features I wanted software-wise required a bit of work.

The real work was getting a 2008 eclipse steering wheel with audio controls to work and still retain the original Monty airbag. I don't do "hack" jobs when it comes to my safety (or anytime for that matter) so I really had to do a lot of research on fitment and wiring. All the factory stuff like Cruise works along with the horn and airbag, and I am able to control the Nexus 7 as well as the Kenwood 7" touchscreen receiver that I use for audio routing. It is still a work in progress, as I still have control programming to finish but all the basic functions work right from the wheel.

I also plan on installing my original gauges that were located when the nav pod is now in the single DIN slot below the radio similar to the attached pic

IMG_3875_zps64adbe0f.jpg

Last edited:

MoabRefugee

Observer
Very interested in doing this to my Gen 3. Is it possible to simply replace the factory display and simply have it display the factory HVAC/Compass/Trip info?

Clearly, I am not an app writer...

I know that I can do the Double DIN swap that many folks do, but a stand alone head unit with an AUD IN from the ANDROID device would be preferable.

General steerage would be appreciated, and yes, my fellow Utah resident, I have googled it.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31272

Steve1814

What home screen interface are you using? I like it!

The layout I made it myself. Trick is to just use a background you design and then add Transparent widget overlays that enact the commands. Nova launcher app is the interface I used plus a couple of more for various functions. You'll have to unlock the tablet and if you want to have it automate the start-up and ignition controlled deep sleep power option you'll have to install a new kernel that may still be available from Timur (This is only for the Nexus 7 2nd gen). The process is tedious, but well worth it. I can make a video of the ignition controlled start up/power down if you are interested. Since the Tablet is tucked away where I cannot get at the buttons it was necessary to be able to control the power remotely via the ignition switch.

Steve1814

Very interested in doing this to my Gen 3. Is it possible to simply replace the factory display and simply have it display the factory HVAC/Compass/Trip info?

Clearly, I am not an app writer...

I know that I can do the Double DIN swap that many folks do, but a stand alone head unit with an AUD IN from the ANDROID device would be preferable.

General steerage would be appreciated, and yes, my fellow Utah resident, I have googled it.

I don't have a Gen 3, Mine is a Gen 2.5 (1999 blister fender). As far as doing your A/C and stuff, there is a program out there that will do that if they make the interface for it, but for the life of me cannot remember what it was called (try this link). This is not exactly How I did it, but got some good info and is a good place to start:

Last edited:

1morebike

Adventurer
Alright I think I'm going to get started on this project. The plan

I'm using my lg 8.3 tablet because I already have it

In the tablet I have a project Fi data only sim card so I'm good with a signal. I also have a Garmin glo which is a little box that you bluetooth to and have access it Garmin satellite so will always have a GPS signal.

I have a Bluetooth 4 channel amp that I'm going to try using ( I know Bluetooth sounds like crap but honestly im not to worried about it. )

I'm going to try the install off the pajero forum .

I'm worried about battery drain but will deal with it as it comes.

I can't use Timur's kernel as its for the Nexus 7 so I'm going to try using Tasker to make it all work. I'll also get Bluetooth obd II scanner so I'll be able to see diagnostic.

I'll try and take pics and do build thread once I figure it all out . Any advice would be awesome.

Steve1814

the only advice I can give Do ALL of your hacking/programming BEFORE installation-it is much easier to have the tablet on your desk, next to your PC in a nice warm and comfortable house than sitting in the car! Also, get yourself a DC power supply to hook the tablet up to to mimic the 12V car battery-that way you can test out the on/off ignition functionality at the same warm desk!

1morebike

Adventurer
Yeah install is going to be last for sure. I'm looking for a gen III in junkyard so I can pull of the dash so I can cut that one and see if I can make the 8.3 tablet fit and not mess up my car. I'm also installing the Bluetooth amp to the existing head unit so I can still have a steel while I work out all the bugs. I'm trying to find a second power source that I can use to keep the the tablet charged when the car is off. Using Tasker I can set it to go into deep sleep when it notices a power drop. Who knows if it will all work .

PacS14

Adventurer
This is a great mod for sure... Yet since it includes programming is a bit intimidating to me for now. I'll keep track of this, please keep updating this thread specially if you can upload a video of it working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne