Econoline Van Swivel Seat Bases

Smoker

Observer
Let me know if any interest in Swivel Seat bases for 1992 to 2014 E Series OEM front Driver and/or Passenger seats. I have a couple sets coming up that I will not be using. These are an awesome addition / easy install.

These are the same as used by SMB, Winnebago, etc. Super High quality. PM or post your zip and I will calc the shipping. Passenger $185/ Driver $195 plus shipping. Thanks!

View attachment 377265 View attachment 377313

I finally got around to installing my driver and passenger swivels. The installation was pretty easy. I didn't need to extend the wire and I didn't have to disassemble the connector to pass it through the hole in the passenger base. I may go back to address this later, but there's still plenty of length to turn the seat without it tugging on the wire. Driver side was a little trickier due to what I understand is the RCM unit. I have a 2013 E350 and the RCM is metal (not covered with plastic). I added a few washers to give a little more space. My van is a Ujoint conversion and the driver seat clears the shifter. Ray was awesome guiding me through the install when I had questions. These swivels are a game changer for interior flexibility with my planned layout. I have 2 Siennas like in the picture above. So I can seat 4 with plenty of room to move around, and insert a table. I had considered a dinette behind the Siennas, but I don't need that now. This is way better. If you're on the fence, go for it. You won't regret it.

Smoker

Observer
That's great to hear. I didn't think the drivers seat would swivel with the shifter so close!

For the past few months I was mulling over the driver side install and had put it off. I thought I would need a 2 piece shifter. I figured I should just tackle it and see how it goes. It takes a little maneuvering, sliding the seat back and forth a little as you turn. The door is actually what makes it tight, not the shifter. I cracked the door open slightly and that makes it easier.

1der

Observer
Looks like some extra swivel seat bases will be available beginning of April. PM or email me. Thxs! Ray

WVI

Adventurer
I was looking at my seat base a bit ago, and was wondering if someone could tell me what they used to remove the rear set of bast bolts?
There's a nut that comes off easy, but the bolt has a type of reverse torx bit looking head on it, with nothing but threads on the undercarriage side, (at least the one that can be seen).
I put a set of large pliers on it, but it wouldn't move, and I didn't want to bugger it all up.
Thanks for any assistance.

1der

Observer
The bolt head is a TORX 55 Plus: TP55. You can get by with a TORX 55 if the threads are in decent condition. The Plus is slightly different than the standard T55. The TORX Plus has squared off points vs the the more V shaped points of the standard TORX drive.

If you are buying a set or a single bit, get the TP55 for your seat bolts. You may need to order online as many big box tool places usually only carry the T, not TP.

Last edited:

WVI

Adventurer
Thank 1der.
The front bolts have heads, with the TP slots.
The rear ones though have what looks like a Torx on the tip/head.
I was thinking I've encountered this type before and used a small 12pt box wrench on them....I've not noticed shocks that would would work, but that's what I need.

1der

Observer
Ah, sorry, I misread your post.

The rear fasteners, as you have stated, are nuts, 18 mm, on the TORX studs coming up from the floor. I have never had to hold the top of the stud to remove the nut. The studs have always stayed in the floor.

Perhaps you are doing something else that requires removing the studs? Stud removal would require a TORX socket to remove properly. I do not know what size since I have never had need to remove them. Of course there are also vise grips and other tools, BUT I am pretty sure those studs must be put in with red loc-tite or interference threaded. They are in super tight. Heat maybe??

macexpress

Observer
Just for clarification here is a torx, torx plus, and inverted torx all together

Attachments

• IMG_20180302_193629.jpg
    IMG_20180302_193629.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 22

Osprey!

Observer
I haven't installed mine yet. Is the TP55 bolts on the rear of all these vans? I could go out and look but it's cold out there...

1der

Observer
TP55 bolts are on the front seat pedestal, forward two hold downs. You will need an 18 mm for the front seat pedestal rear two hold downs.

The seat itself attaches to the pedestal with 15mm nuts.

TP55 bolts hold down the rear passenger bench seat floor brackets, at least on the 1996 to 2005ish vans. Not sure about the the much newer ones, maybe macexpress can confirm.

Thxs macexpress for the pics, excellent!

macexpress

Observer
No problem. No I don't know about the newer rear seat hold down, just trying to help clarify the different tools for anybody who wasn't familiar with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne