Dual battery install on my 2009 LR3

roverpat

Observer
Completely contained in the box.
Isolator and slow blow fuse next to the wiring cross channel. Blue sea fuse block under the brake lines. All accessory sockets and consumers grounded locally.
Battery box:
D2FE03AC-B520-4733-B774-95C17321E47A.jpg

55A3BFC9-4EDF-470A-AA09-2429031E798F_1.jpg

Engine bay with everything tucked away:
DEE05B53-5663-4FF0-96C2-973985893B28.jpg

After seeing that red cable from the battery to the relay I know you work for Land Rover. Recognize as what is removed at PDI. Dii you get the battery hold down from the UK? I got the US one and bent it reverse.

roverpat

Observer
Tough to say w/LEDs depending on source. My cat eyes are 15 amp for the whole mess I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my problem may be the LED strips are not flexible and the minimal amount it is bent to contour with the trim panel may be stressing the circuit board. Found some flexible ones. Will try them when they come in and they list a wattage level so I can use correct amp fuse not just take a good guess

ColoDisco

Explorer
After seeing that red cable from the battery to the relay I know you work for Land Rover. Recognize as what is removed at PDI. Dii you get the battery hold down from the UK? I got the US one and bent it reverse.
Exactly right. Also used the slow blow fuse, both from the Range Rover. Grabbed the UK part number from another thread on here or disco3.uk can't remember. Sourced the low profile batt terminals off amazon so the cover fits.

roverpat

Observer
Exactly right. Also used the slow blow fuse, both from the Range Rover. Grabbed the UK part number from another thread on here or disco3.uk can't remember. Sourced the low profile batt terminals off amazon so the cover fits.

My positive terminal is from an LR3 I just cut the part with the megafuse off of it.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Are Optima batteries off the naughty list? They were view as junk for a while. Hoping quality has returned to the pre-Mexico levels. A couple Optimas in my Rangie would be nice.

Exploder
Optimas are persona non grata. Go with an Odyssey or an AGM battery from Advance Auto or somewhere like that.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I put in a interstate as it was cheap from the dealership I worked at, but on hot days it can run down if not recharged in a couple days (fridge freezer). Still working on my solar answer to this.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am also working on a solar answer. I have a 15 watt panel that seems to work well in direct sun but for an extended stay it might not be adequate. Most of the fold-uppanels I see are much too expensive but then might not be an issue if I am out of power in nowhere land.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Have been putting together a flexible panel system off amazon which should come in under the flex o power setup. Trying to figure out a mounting solution while parked. Thinking I may be able to set it up in front of my sunshade in the windshield however would like the option to set it up in a ideal location regardless of angle of vehicle. Like my pop up camper setup.

roverpat

Observer
I am also working on a solar answer. I have a 15 watt panel that seems to work well in direct sun but for an extended stay it might not be adequate. Most of the fold-uppanels I see are much too expensive but then might not be an issue if I am out of power in nowhere land.

I have the Land Rover factory expedition rack so the panels will be mounted in that.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am using the Front Runner full rack and have fabricated a few items to work with the rack that I cannot buy. I am now working on a removable (using the bolt on configuration of the FR rack) holder for the panel. Involves putting the panel on the rack with the working side of the panel facing down for travel with the ability to face it up or remote locate it to optimize sun location. I located the sand ladders under the rack in fabricated rails. I thought to locate the panel in a similar configuration toward the front but the sun roof opening is too close to the bottom of the rack when opened.
Always fun to figure out ways to use the rack but not put heavy items up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94