Dual battery install on my 2009 LR3

roverpat

Observer
Put my D2 out to pasture and picked up a 2009 LR3. I had the NL dual battery laying around so I decided to put it in the LR3.
6d0fb24d9e55192137c1dcc6a3eb5acc.jpg

Optima yellow top in front of brake master cylinder using factory hold down.
The smart solenoid is located to the left of the master cylinder against the inner fender

8c9228f5b429a8604083e58058f03eb4.jpg

Blue Sea Marine 6 circuit fuse block with ground and a mohoo solar charge controller

I used 4 gauge welding cable with a 60amp curcuit breaker in the engine bay to run from optima to fuse block along left side of vehicle. Have rewired power sockets to be constant hot. All additional non factory loads are tied to the optima.

Looking at my solar panel options still but leaning towards a 150 renogy unit that I will hard mount of roof rack.

Ray G gets credit for fuse block location. Totally stole it from him

c7cd6ad89fce493719936d8278060c5f.jpg

Pre wire run to rear

625ba2963317edc26429cc40407efe3f.jpg

Amazon 7 dollar LED strip lights

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey I recognize many of those pics from FB messenger!

Install looks very good, nice and clean. Your post w/the LED strips reminds me I need to put a few more cat eye LEDs into my hatch when I do the backup camera.

Where did you put the nifty NL controller/monitor?
r-
Ray

roverpat

Observer
Hey I recognize many of those pics from FB messenger!

Install looks very good, nice and clean. Your post w/the LED strips reminds me I need to put a few more cat eye LEDs into my hatch when I do the backup camera.

Where did you put the nifty NL controller/monitor?
r-
Ray

Its mounted underneath the brake lines coming out of the ABS modulator

ColoDisco

Explorer
Nice setup! I mounted my aux fuse block under the brake lines and ran 2 power feeds back to the back of the vehicle.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Having installed a solar setup on my pop up camper, was wondering why you put the charge controller so far from the aux battery. I understand they cannot be left in the elements but ideally you want the shortest run of wires to the battery for the best charge efficiency.

I have been struggling with where to mount mine as well.

roverpat

Observer
Having installed a solar setup on my pop up camper, was wondering why you put the charge controller so far from the aux battery. I understand they cannot be left in the elements but ideally you want the shortest run of wires to the battery for the best charge efficiency.

I have been struggling with where to mount mine as well.
Being as I have a 4 gauge run all the way to the fuse block I will tie the panel wires in there. I am not using the load terminals on the charge controller only the battery ones. So the controller will be supplying power if needed or charging battery.

roverpat

Observer
Nice setup! I mounted my aux fuse block under the brake lines and ran 2 power feeds back to the back of the vehicle.
I put block in back so I only needed to run the one feed and then add cicuits back there as thats where most of my adding on will be. Thats may change of course...

GORM

Adventurer
I used a deep sea ACR, very happy with it. Simple.

Also added my own volt meters on dash.

I would like to improve my mounting bracket; which is unpictured.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Completely contained in the box.
Isolator and slow blow fuse next to the wiring cross channel. Blue sea fuse block under the brake lines. All accessory sockets and consumers grounded locally.
Battery box:
D2FE03AC-B520-4733-B774-95C17321E47A.jpg

55A3BFC9-4EDF-470A-AA09-2429031E798F_1.jpg

Engine bay with everything tucked away:
DEE05B53-5663-4FF0-96C2-973985893B28.jpg

roverpat

Observer
LEd lights strips crapped out at the campout. And one was brand new out of box. Some of the segments are dim and some are out. Ray G any idea? What is the size of the fuse you are using for your cateyes?

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
LEd lights strips crapped out at the campout. And one was brand new out of box. Some of the segments are dim and some are out. Ray G any idea? What is the size of the fuse you are using for your cateyes?

Tough to say w/LEDs depending on source. My cat eyes are 15 amp for the whole mess I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94