A Little Different M416 Trailer Build

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thank you,
Wesco brought their portable color match machine outside and placed it on my Jeep door.
The machine does all the calculating to get the color as close as possible.
Seems to have gotten pretty darn close....

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
It makes me miss my red Jeep and Trailer!

Build looks great.

Attachments

• 35607903820_58a65f4409_o.jpg
    35607903820_58a65f4409_o.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 106

richmondbob

Adventurer
So exterior mounted gas shocks to lift the rack - but how do you lower it after? Looking for possible solutions as I'll be attempting the same soon. Thanks.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I like your, looks almost identical, bummer you don't have it anymore... Heck if the right Unimog Doka comes my way I amy not have mine some time in the future.. :)

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
So exterior mounted gas shocks to lift the rack - but how do you lower it after? Looking for possible solutions as I'll be attempting the same soon. Thanks.

To lower it I am considering using a cable pulley system and something like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html
I've seen a few other M416 builds where this type of setup was used and seems to work well.. Meaning simple and electricity free.... Not the cleanest look though...

Not 100% sure yet, won't know for sure till I get to that point.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
The rack is now painted, 3 coats of base 2 coats of clear.
I finished wiring the lights and connected them to the pigtail that will connect to the tongue box.
I purchased some pulley wheels with bearings and made some brackets for them. I will use these to assist in brining the rack down after it is extended.
I also picked up the hand winch to be able to use with the pulleys to retract the rack.
Now I need to figure out if I am going to bolt or weld the pulleys to the rack. I also need to figure out where and how I am going to mount the hand winch.
rack001.jpgrack002.jpgrack003.jpgrack004.jpgrack005.jpgrack006.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
I would shoot for gas-assist struts to just **reduce** the lifting force required.

So lower slowly just using gravity, maybe add a light pull.

Ideally no winching, cables required, but if the load varied a lot, I'd use them for raising not as much for lowering

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Good point!
I will do the gas struts first and get the right struts dialed in first. At that point I will reassess whether or not I need the pulleys and winch to retract it.
Thank you for that... I think I've looked at too many builds with too many ideas in my head....

telwyn

Adventurer
Great build! Do you have a link to the puck hasp and mount you are using? I’ve been considering something similar on my m416 build and like the way you’ve done that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles