So is the gen III really that good

1morebike

Adventurer
I have been looking at getting a gen III. I'm a little ocd and have to research cars for way to long. In doing the research for the last week it was weird. I read a ton of threads , a bunch of reviews , I even Googe the engine and read a ton about that. In all this I didn't find one weakness. An example was my 80 series Land cruiser any one who owns one or has owned one knows that the pesky heater hose is going to be a pain. That its going to eat a head gasket , and the stupid p404 code that was like it knew when I had extra money and would go off and you just start throwing money at it. So I guess what I'm asking is it true about the Montero or is just that there are not a million of the out there so you don't see the problems as much.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Let's see here, you are on a forum where guys actually use and abuse their rigs, my common sense tells me that if there were an issue to be found it would be posted and documented.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here's an issue: for a little while, the crank bolts used would fall out after a timing belt job. Mitsubishi fixed that with a replacement crankbolt that you now use when doing the timing belts tha prevents that from happening. It costs $7

nwoods

Expedition Leader
On the Gen 2.5's, the plastic bushing in the transfer case shift level would desintegrate after about 15 years, causing you to be unable to shift into low range. The replacement part is $40 new, or $5 at the local junk yard, out of a slightly older Gen 2 models.

The little dashboard lamps burn out after about 17 years. They are easy to access and cost under $5 for a pack of 'em

KyleT

Explorer
Gen 3 is good. I chose two over the other suv's on the market. It compares more to a Range Rover than a land cruiser IMO. Just a little slower. It needs 100more hp or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evol911

Observer
Gen 3's will pop a rear axle out of the differential if they are overloaded in the back. Easily fixed with an upgraded circlip or upgraded suspension. They also are underpowered. Highway noise in the cabin isn't the greatest compared to the Gen 2/2.5. Exhaust manifolds have been known to crack. I personally think the rear door is too heavy for the hinges.

But you can fly over wash boards roads and feel next nothing and the traction control is one of the best. The humongous sun roof is great for kids and road trips and the rear third row seating storage is top notch. I also like the transmission.

Ranking the Montero's I have owned/own:

1.) 1994 SR
2.) 1991 LWB LS
3). 2003 Limited
4). 1987 SWB Diesel

My opinion is to put some extra cash into a Gen 1 or 2 than to get a Gen 3. Gen 3 is for the wife and kids.

1morebike

Adventurer
Gen 3's will pop a rear axle out of the differential if they are overloaded in the back. Easily fixed with an upgraded circlip or upgraded suspension. They also are underpowered. Highway noise in the cabin isn't the greatest compared to the Gen 2/2.5. Exhaust manifolds have been known to crack. I personally think the rear door is too heavy for the hinges.

But you can fly over wash boards roads and feel next nothing and the traction control is one of the best. The humongous sun roof is great for kids and road trips and the rear third row seating storage is top notch. I also like the transmission.

Ranking the Montero's I have owned/own:

1.) 1994 SR
2.) 1991 LWB LS
3). 2003 Limited
4). 1987 SWB Diesel

My opinion is to put some extra cash into a Gen 1 or 2 than to get a Gen 3. Gen 3 is for the wife and kids.

Funny you would say that . I'm buying a gen III because my gen 1 blew it's head gasket

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Gen 3 is pretty decent, I agree that it needs more power (in '07 they got the extra grunt they needed unfortunately they were discontinued here). Very solid rigs, a few steps above my Toyota 120 Series (Lexus GX) in build quality, less comfortable seats but far far better offroad. Having said that I feel it has a lesser duty cycle than the Gen 2 Montero.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
All Gen3 gremlins...

The 6G72 and 6G75s in the Gen3s leak oil from everywhere by the time/mileage you'll be buying them used...unless the previous owner was an incarnate angel and replaced all the seals before selling.

The transfer case solenoids and switches like to go bad and blink all over your dashboard.

The by now old, used, and abused rear suspension likes to sag whenever you put groceries in the back, giving its camber that "stance, bro!" look.

Hmmm....the instrument cluster, well, let's see: gas gauge works when it feels like it; half the green indicator lights are on the verge of blowing out if not already; no volt meter, oil pressure meter, or transmission temp gauge (but it does have a handy "this door is open" display).

Passenger door mirror likes to do the twerk thing on the highway.

Rear departure angle is almost obtuse (is that even possible...it probably is with a trailer hitch fitted).

Gas mileage is incredible..............................................no, it sucks.

Engine bay plastics are likely brittle and breaky at this point....my air filter box, battery tray, and fuse box covers are all broken.

Did I mention it leaks oil, like a lot of oil?

Mitsubishi loves America, and is dedicated to providing an extensive network of dealership support and parts to keep you Montero running strong for years to come........yeah, just kidding again.

It looks like an ogre (if it's green and you're looking at it just right from the front).

It has strange electric gremlins...well, at least mine does: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...cal-gremlins?highlight=story+slaying+gremlins

But despite all that, and more I love the thing (2003 Limited). My kids love the thing. Everything is fixable, and an opportunity to learn. All said it has ushered my family to lots of fun adventures, never leaving us stranded or stuck. And as you already have found in your research, the pros are way ahead of any annoying cons. But there are a few cons...as there are with everything.

Senor Carey

Observer
Gen 3 is good. I chose two over the other suv's on the market. It compares more to a Range Rover than a land cruiser IMO. Just a little slower. It needs 100more hp or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you expand on this a little more? I don't have a Gen III, but I do have a Gen 2.5 and a UZJ100. They are quite different in drive and feeling, even though they are closer in design.

plh

Explorer
All Gen3 gremlins...

The 6G72 and 6G75s in the Gen3s leak oil from everywhere by the time/mileage you'll be buying them used...unless the previous owner was an incarnate angel and replaced all the seals before selling.

The transfer case solenoids and switches like to go bad and blink all over your dashboard.

The by now old, used, and abused rear suspension likes to sag whenever you put groceries in the back, giving its camber that "stance, bro!" look.

Hmmm....the instrument cluster, well, let's see: gas gauge works when it feels like it; half the green indicator lights are on the verge of blowing out if not already; no volt meter, oil pressure meter, or transmission temp gauge (but it does have a handy "this door is open" display).

Passenger door mirror likes to do the twerk thing on the highway.

Rear departure angle is almost obtuse (is that even possible...it probably is with a trailer hitch fitted).

Gas mileage is incredible..............................................no, it sucks.

Engine bay plastics are likely brittle and breaky at this point....my air filter box, battery tray, and fuse box covers are all broken.

Did I mention it leaks oil, like a lot of oil?

Mitsubishi loves America, and is dedicated to providing an extensive network of dealership support and parts to keep you Montero running strong for years to come........yeah, just kidding again.

It looks like an ogre (if it's green and you're looking at it just right from the front).

It has strange electric gremlins...well, at least mine does: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...cal-gremlins?highlight=story+slaying+gremlins

But despite all that, and more I love the thing (2003 Limited). My kids love the thing. Everything is fixable, and an opportunity to learn. All said it has ushered my family to lots of fun adventures, never leaving us stranded or stuck. And as you already have found in your research, the pros are way ahead of any annoying cons. But there are a few cons...as there are with everything.

Interesting list. Only thing on it that I have experienced is sagging rear springs, and I've had mine over 5 years. Easily fixed for $200 from OME. Not uncommon with any vehicle with a dozen or more years on it. For sure not the dealer support/locations as Toyota but a similar mileage LC entry point will cost 3x more. BTW a similar year LC gets WAY worse fuel mileage.

plh

Explorer
Interesting list. Only thing on it that I have experienced is sagging rear springs, and I've had mine over 5 years. Easily fixed for $200 from OME. Not uncommon with any vehicle with a dozen or more years on it. For sure not the dealer support/locations as Toyota but a similar mileage LC entry point will cost 3 to 5x more. BTW a similar year LC gets WAY worse fuel mileage.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5901157950.html $3500

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ctd/5900689373.html $15,995

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
1morebike, try searching "pajero" or "shogun" instead of Montero. It'll open up your search to the larger international Montero market and you'll see the common annoyances.

PLH, totally agree that when it comes to value for the money it's Montero all day over the Land Cruiser's current market value. That's why I'm driving one...no regrets. It sounds like you got one of the good ones if it hasn't given you any fits yet, and I'm sure in your capable hands it will likely remain reliable and problem-free. Mine was a rescue though...the previous owner rode her hard and put her away wet as the old horse saying goes. I'm thankful that she mostly took it like a champ though, and most of my issues are common enough that some bloke in Australia or South Africa (or maybe America) has already put together a simple write-up to fix the problem. I think that most on the used market will be more in common with my experience than yours, since most people don't take care (let alone records) of their vehicles. And knowing what to watch for can help with the decision-making and bargaining. Mine had a blinking center diff light on the dash that the PO didn't know anything about...knocked two thousand off the asking price for me, but cost me like $50 bucks to fix because I knew what the problem was beforehand since it was a common issue. It's really hard (and expensive) to find a low mileage, well-maintained 03+ Montero. After a few months of searching I had to take an educated gamble on mine, and thankfully it's worked out well (well, mostly...save for a few common annoyances). Cheers.

Oh, and I don't care what you're driving, 13 mpg sucks...and if the Land Cruiser gets what 12, 11 mpg...that only just sucks a little bit worse. And I'd take 1 mpg less if it meant I had the 4.7L V8. Haha.

plh

Explorer
Oh, and I don't care what you're driving, 13 mpg sucks...and if the Land Cruiser gets what 12, 11 mpg...that only just sucks a little bit worse. And I'd take 1 mpg less if it meant I had the 4.7L V8. Haha.

13 mpg is bad, is that city or highway driving? I see generally between 17 and 19 highway which is normal for these and yes it will be more challenging to find a good one today as when I bought mine 5 years ago with 75K on the clock. Not many low mileage trucks available now. 120K to 180K seams the norm at this age. I am approaching 150K on mine. Gotta take that into consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan