2000 Ford Expedition call it old man build

poorboy1964

Hey all
I've been playing for year in full size trucks, last year I bought some recreational property call it desert mountain bordered by thousands of acres with trails everywhere that I want to drive all of. The last 6 years I have been driving a 2003 Super Duty I like this truck more than anything I've owned it is my daily driver and works great for towing and hauling things to the property. I'm not willing to take it through the brush. Started looking at side by sides they are pretty fun, but for what you have to pay not worth it to me. decided I wanted to do a WJ or Explorer and a small build after looking for a while nothing but junk was available living here with Moab just hours from home these all seam to be at a premium in my area. I do haul things back and forth and wanted room to take the whole crowd out on the trail so I started looking at the Expedition these things where cheep and plentiful in my area, took my time and about 4 months and found this one.

2000 XLT 4x4 5.4 3.55 LS 139k miles

I understand the limitation of this for what I want to do to it but all around I think this will work for what i want to do.
I'm going try a 2" leveling lift and 315/75R16 thinking about the Cooper MTP's I realize this will be a tight fit but i need to get up and over the rocks, I would rather not do a body lift but may if needed. then hope to work on bumpers and recovery and possibly a rear locker these things are what I will need help it is all new to me.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why not just run 255/85r16 km2's? And make sure your spark plugs aren't cracking in half, the 5.4 is famous for eating plugs.

poorboy1964

I looked at the 255's it's my fall back tire size if after leveling I feel they won't fit, but 315's are 1" taller and less money
yeah read about the plug issue I know it could happen but seamed to be a bigger problem on the 3 valve 03 and new 2 piece plugs. I'll deal with it if it comes up hopefully it won't, I'll be changing them soon so I know the condition when i do all the fluids.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The 2V 5.4L (which this one has) has a "problem" with plugs getting spit out because they are not tightened properly (which is to say: properly is slightly over-tightened). Check out this video for a good how-to on properly torquing new spark plugs:

The 3V 5.4 plugs are a roll of the dice nightmare as to whether they break off and you have to use the extractor tool or not.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Yep. I also lurk the Excursion sub-forum on ford-trucks.com forum. I don't spend nearly as much time in the Expedition section, but I saw you post up recently.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads as far as my vehicles. About February this year I was going to sell my '97 Explorer and transfer the offroad duties to my daily driver '00 Expedition. But then I went to Moab at the end of March....... and the love of my Explorer was rekindled. So now I have the same amount of funds to split between 2 vehicles. The Explorer is a great day-wheeler and solo (or +1 kid) mutli-day vehicle. The Expedition will be focused on family road trips and multi-day, single location camping while still handling DD duties.

poorboy1964

Sounds like a good plan I have looked in on your Explorer I don't know how you could sell it with all the work you've put into it. but hey things change all the time.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Nice Expedition. I always thought they were very capable rigs that were over looked. Good luck with it it seems that it has been taken care of.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice starting platform. Not much avail as far as after market parts but its amazing where a stock rig will get you.

But if you want to upgrade some stuff; Upgrade the tires, get on board air and some traction mats and you're good to go. If you want to lift it then I'd suggest cranking the T bars a few times and add some better shocks and maybe some new UCA's and you're golden. If you want to go over 2 inches you'll have to get a drop down bracket for the front end which (in my opinion) completely takes away the whole aspect of a lift. As far as the locker...not completely necessary. Mainly because of the cost. It will end up costing around $800-$1200 to install the locker. and if you re gear then it will be more.

I have basically the same thing but in the truck form.

Good luck!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I don't think my factory limited slip works on any thing but snow- maybe in the rain while going around a corner while hard on the gas. I've thought about a rear Truetrac ($500) but I'm not sure I need it for the driving I do.

One thing I'm liking on my Explorer is the extra factory cross rails that I added (5 total). Cheap (junkyard) and lightweight. Also grab a bunch of those tie down loops that also go in the tracks. I think I have 2 between each cross rail on each side.

Get some LED replacement bulbs for the interior. HUGE difference. I got a pack on Amazon for ~$15.

Make sure your throttle plate is opening all the way- add zip-ties or fishing line sinkers to take up the slack in the throttle cable if needed. My thread has pics of mine. Big difference in power. It was like I added 50 hp.

How are your rear trailing arms? Rusty? If it's been a UT truck its entire life, they probably are in good shape. Mine are decent but I'll probably replace them fairly soon. There's 3 options: OEM style replacements (stamped steel), no-name Amazon welded tubular with poly bushings, or pretty (and pricey) links from PMT Manufacturing.

poorboy1964

Nice starting platform. Not much avail as far as after market parts but its amazing where a stock rig will get you.

But if you want to upgrade some stuff; Upgrade the tires, get on board air and some traction mats and you're good to go. If you want to lift it then I'd suggest cranking the T bars a few times and add some better shocks and maybe some new UCA's and you're golden. If you want to go over 2 inches you'll have to get a drop down bracket for the front end which (in my opinion) completely takes away the whole aspect of a lift. As far as the locker...not completely necessary. Mainly because of the cost. It will end up costing around $800-$1200 to install the locker. and if you re gear then it will be more.

I have basically the same thing but in the truck form.

Good luck!

Thanks SDDiver
Yes on the torsion twist and a 2" spacer block for the rear. The guy I bought it from had just put on new shocks but I don't think I'll keep those on long I don't know what they are, will see. I think your right about it working for me as a trail rig it fits the bill overall for what I need. As for the locker the only reason I'm thinking about it is to maybe extend winter snow trails. i'll check out your thread.

poorboy1964

I don't think my factory limited slip works on any thing but snow- maybe in the rain while going around a corner while hard on the gas. I've thought about a rear Truetrac ($500) but I'm not sure I need it for the driving I do.

One thing I'm liking on my Explorer is the extra factory cross rails that I added (5 total). Cheap (junkyard) and lightweight. Also grab a bunch of those tie down loops that also go in the tracks. I think I have 2 between each cross rail on each side.

Get some LED replacement bulbs for the interior. HUGE difference. I got a pack on Amazon for ~$15.

Make sure your throttle plate is opening all the way- add zip-ties or fishing line sinkers to take up the slack in the throttle cable if needed. My thread has pics of mine. Big difference in power. It was like I added 50 hp.

How are your rear trailing arms? Rusty? If it's been a UT truck its entire life, they probably are in good shape. Mine are decent but I'll probably replace them fairly soon. There's 3 options: OEM style replacements (stamped steel), no-name Amazon welded tubular with poly bushings, or pretty (and pricey) links from PMT Manufacturing.

Cross member is that and add on for strength?

I will look at your thread about the throttle plate I hadn't heard about this?

Trailing arms look OK, we do salt the roads here but not to bad.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Cross member is that and add on for strength?

I added it so I had better support for items I carry on the roof. Pictured here is Expedition rails going the length of the roof (10" longer than the Explorer rails) with Explorer crossbars:

And you can see the extra tie down loops on the rails between each crossbar.

I will look at your thread about the throttle plate I hadn't heard about this?

It's pretty simple. This was full throttle initially due to stretch in the throttle cable:

This is full throttle after adding a couple zip-tys to the throttle cable at the top of the gas pedal:

Trailing arms look OK, we do salt the roads here but not to bad.

We salt the roads here too but it's just so dry here that the salt doesn't work in dry conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior