2000 Ford Expedition call it old man build

Ivan

Lost in Space
Hey all
I've been playing for year in full size trucks, last year I bought some recreational property call it desert mountain bordered by thousands of acres with trails everywhere that I want to drive all of. The last 6 years I have been driving a 2003 Super Duty I like this truck more than anything I've owned it is my daily driver and works great for towing and hauling things to the property. I'm not willing to take it through the brush. Started looking at side by sides they are pretty fun, but for what you have to pay not worth it to me. decided I wanted to do a WJ or Explorer and a small build after looking for a while nothing but junk was available living here with Moab just hours from home these all seam to be at a premium in my area. I do haul things back and forth and wanted room to take the whole crowd out on the trail so I started looking at the Expedition these things where cheep and plentiful in my area, took my time and about 4 months and found this one.

2000 XLT 4x4 5.4 3.55 LS 139k miles

I understand the limitation of this for what I want to do to it but all around I think this will work for what i want to do.
I'm going try a 2" leveling lift and 315/75R16 thinking about the Cooper MTP's I realize this will be a tight fit but i need to get up and over the rocks, I would rather not do a body lift but may if needed. then hope to work on bumpers and recovery and possibly a rear locker these things are what I will need help it is all new to me.

Thanks for reading.

Nice buy.

Three things:

1) look up the "brow wire mod" for these trucks.

2) look at new old stock springs on eBay. I scored some trailmaster 3" springs for mine.

3) you can fit 33's without problems, 35s are doable with minor lift. 37s are doable with a body lift and some triming.

Wheel and enjoy. The first generation Expeditions are as underrated as it gets.

poorboy1964

Thanks Ivan

Brown wire for sure
I never thought about different springs I like that idea I'll start watching is there anything specific size or dimension wise to look for?

poorboy1964

Tom I was thinking chassis on the support now I'm with you I think I remember a post of you showing all the extra lock nuts you had picked up.
On the throttle the cable now I need to go look at that would have never thought about looking at it.

Your explorer is so bad I don't think you should ever get rid of it

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Also look up the Bambi mod and the big three upgrade. The Bambi mod allows you to run fog lights and high beams at the same time. Th big three mod upgrade s ground wires and the wire to the alternator. Really works well.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Thanks Ivan

Brown wire for sure
I never thought about different springs I like that idea I'll start watching is there anything specific size or dimension wise to look for?

Sorry this took me a while to get back to. I'm alwayd on the look out for parts for the 10th gen F150/1st gen Expeditions. I found a seller on Ebay (I think it was a shop called Desert Rat out of AZ) that had some either NOS Trailmaster springs for the Expedition or a set they never used on a project. In any case, they were listed as having the same spring rate as stock, but netting 3" of lift.

This is stock vs 3" lift springs side by side.

20161215_140257.jpg

The only part number I could find was "Trailmaster BX-16N".

I did a search on eBay for the same set, but I guess they finally sold out. I did however come across a company selling 2" lift springs for the Expedition, and a couple of listings for New Old Stock Rough Country lift kits.

As far as using other springs, let me see if I can find the bookmark where a member on expeditionforums used a set of front springs from 2000+ F350.

poorboy1964

Sorry this took me a while to get back to. I'm alwayd on the look out for parts for the 10th gen F150/1st gen Expeditions. I found a seller on Ebay (I think it was a shop called Desert Rat out of AZ) that had some either NOS Trailmaster springs for the Expedition or a set they never used on a project. In any case, they were listed as having the same spring rate as stock, but netting 3" of lift.

This is stock vs 3" lift springs side by side.

View attachment 378912

The only part number I could find was "Trailmaster BX-16N".

I did a search on eBay for the same set, but I guess they finally sold out. I did however come across a company selling 2" lift springs for the Expedition, and a couple of listings for New Old Stock Rough Country lift kits.

As far as using other springs, let me see if I can find the bookmark where a member on expeditionforums used a set of front springs from 2000+ F350.

If you decide to go with a lift kit, and seeing how the only one left is $2600-ish, here's a build thread with an F150 Rough Country kit being used and what was done for the rear.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/f150-lift-kit-rcx-4-5in-lift.25079/

Any updates?

Great info thanks for all that,
Have not done much yet a few little things fixed the shift indicator and throttle cable and the crappy in dash cup holders, I think I'll pick up some 2 1/2" rear spacers here in a week or two ad start there, I thought I'd had checked back here but missed your spring info until today,
after work I'll read through the thread you posted I've heard about that should be good info.

ExpeditionXLT

Nice buy.

Three things:

1) look up the "brow wire mod" for these trucks.

2) look at new old stock springs on eBay. I scored some trailmaster 3" springs for mine.

3) you can fit 33's without problems, 35s are doable with minor lift. 37s are doable with a body lift and some triming.

Wheel and enjoy. The first generation Expeditions are as underrated as it gets.

How wide of a 33 can you go factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan

Lost in Space
How wide of a 33 can you go factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 33x12.50r17 Grabbers on stock FX4 wheels. It rubs at full lock.

Now with the 315/70r17's, on the same wheels, it's the same: rubs on full lock.

And this is on a torsion bar twist and spacers. Once I get the rear 3" springs in and unbolt the sway bar, I'll see what else rubs.

IRISH

Glad to see other Ford Expeditions on here lol. It has been fun looking up other builds on here to get ides. Sorry for the hijack. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

poorboy1964

Just a quick update: I have been doing little things here and there on the EX everything is in working order now but auto door locks soon I'll get to them. Power washed the interior Wow it was nasty but looks great now, Ordered 2 1/2" rear coil spacers once I get them on I'll crank the torsion bars and go get tires. it's been slow for lack of time to do anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online