Necessary equipment for GPS tablet use?

TFin04

Adventurer
A simple question, but I have been browsing the forum and haven't quite figured it out.

I would like the ability to download a map of an area before going on a trip, then seeing my location on that map as I travel.

Do I need anything more than a GPS enabled tablet to do this? I have a Samsung tablet with GPS (and Verizon data service) already. Could I accomplish this with my tablet, even when I am not receiving data signal?

I know it's elementary, but most threads are for more involved systems and I am looking to start pretty basic. Thanks for your time.

captadv

Spectator
You're good to go. Just use backcountry navigator or Gaia and you're done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
You're good to go. Just use backcountry navigator or Gaia and you're done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Correct. While there are other apps out there and I suggest you search for them vs yet another thread on the topic, BCN and Gaia GPS are two of the better choices. You download whatever maps you want for offline use and then be on your way.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Phone screen may be a bit small

I have a Galaxy Note 4 (slightly larger screen than an S series phone) on Verizon, and have been running BCN Pro for a year or so. Only used it on a half dozen trips.

Two down sides I have found.
1). Screen is small so not real easy to make trail changes mid-trip
2). I've had two times now where it would not get a GPS lock, even standing on top of a ridge at 6,000 feet with a huge sky.

Other than those two issues I really like this setup. BCN takes a bit to understand, but if you use it in an area you are familiar with, you'll most likely learn it quickly.
There are also a lot of YouTube videos on this app.

So a dedicated Bluetooth GPS receiver may be something to look at if you have the same issue.

And yes solid mounting is huge! :)

Attachments

• Tablet-mounted-Horizontal.jpg
    Tablet-mounted-Horizontal.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Nav&Phone_mounts.jpg
    Nav&Phone_mounts.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 50

jschmidt

Adventurer
ViewRanger is another good software choice. But even Google Maps now has a good selection of major trails including all of the trails we normally ride in the Santa Rita's. Both allow downloading sections.

Chili

Explorer
Subscribing to check out later as I have an extra Samsung Galaxy 10" Tablet collecting dust..

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
A good mount!!!

And a good charger!

I find I have to use higher brightness settings in the car due to sunlight, which kills the battery pretty fast unless I have at least a 2A charger connected. I've also had to upgrade the mount a couple times since I travel washboard roads a lot...

cost????

after you purchase the Gaia program are there other costs? is this a subscription plan or can you buy large swaths of maps or just down load them? how do yogurt maps into your tablet?

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Not sure about Gaia but I think it's the same as BackCountry Navigator. One time cost. The Maps are pulled from public services like Caltopo either automatically when in data service or you can choose swaths in the app to cache for offline use.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You'll need something bigger than a 1A USB source to keep up with the power demands, is what you'll need. My Tab 3 Lite with both GPS and bluetooth running will drain down if I have it on a 1A. Use a 2A or greater source.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Power!

As other have mentioned, these units need a good power supply.
I found a power port to USB adapter that provide 2.4A on both ports. That is important, if you run a smart phone and a tablet, because both need more than the standard 1A port to keep up with demands. A lot of the multi port power adapters are only high power on one port.
Here is the one I picked up:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHMXRFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've only used it on two 5 day excursions so far. It does a great job of charging, and keeping both units charged, while using them together for mapping duties.
Hth,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles