does a 3.5 DOHC fit in a gen 1?

miloe79

Observer
You can fit a 6G75 MIVEC from a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Galant
I've read on other forums that you can fit a v6 Chevy engine and a transmission from a small Blazer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i just found out they share bellhousing patterns and heads interchange.
i bet heads are expensive to rebuild.

a v6 GM motor is cool but i would lose all the well thought out mitsu drive train.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Rebuild heads? If they need a refresh, put in new valve stem seals and revised 3mm hydraulic lash adjusters. If they need more, just get a set from Clearwater Cylinder Heads.

Kevin's is a monster, all right. As soon as my turbo 2.6 is up and running, Kevin and I will have to have a little race to see who's who...

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Kevin's truck is pretty ballsy even on 35's it throws you back into your seat and you can't help but laugh and smile. Should have came that way stock.

is this 3.5 thirsty?

and is there a good bump in power over the 3.0?

my current plan is to megasquirt the timing on the 3.0.

or maybe turbo/megasquirt it; he he

RyanY

Adventurer
The 3.0 SOHC was rated at 160hp, the 3.5 DOHC was rated at 214hp. 33% more could be considered a 'good bump in power'.

I get 15-16mpg with my 95SR turning 35" tires - that engine in a lighter-weight SWB would certainly get better mileage if you could keep your foot out of the loud pedal.

Toasty

About 75 horsepower more than the 3.0 and probably very similar fuel consumption (if you keep your foot out of it), a turbo 3.0 would probably be pretty quick though too.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I was getting around 15mpg out of the 3.5 in the gen 1. I was also running the non lockup 4 cyl trans though. Might get an increase with a lockup v6 trans. This we shall see soon enough. 15mpg was an increase compared to the 2.6 that I was getting 12 - 14 mpg. Carb was never consistent and it had bad days. It chose when it wanted to work correctly.

Doing this swap is incredibly worth your time and money. Surprises me that more people haven't done this. Its gonna be a tank when I finish with all of the other builds I'm doing to it.

Toasty

I really want a MIVEC 3.8 for my Gen 3 and a VVT-I 4.0 V8 in my Gen 2. anyone looking for a super low milage SOHC 3.5? '04 63k miles :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz