any honda owners in these parts that take their rigs offroad?

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
did a search for honda in this section and came up with 9 pages to sift through, but not much where anyone is really taking them too far from pavement. people doing anything cool with this brand around here? would love to see pix of them in action if anyone is using them for the non intended purpose. muddy hondas make me smile :)

on an unrelated note, is there an oddball vehicle thread in this section or something similar? a thread where people post those one off pix of random cars/trucks youll likely never see again?

verdesardog

Explorer
I used to have an '80 something Accord that I would drive out to Anza Borrego with a two motorcycle trailer. I'd drive till I got stuck and camp there. When ready to leave I'd take the rails off the trailer and put under the front wheels of the car and drive out.

p nut

butter
I think the new Pilot and Ridgeline would make great overland vehicles. Of course, old Elements have done well as light offroaders as well.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
honestly any vehicle will work fine if the owner has the will. its more about the driver than it is the vehicle, but I like the Honda cars and would love to see more of what people are doing with them. also curious how people like the realtime awd. ive gone places with mine that had jeep owners scratching their heads wondering how the hell I got where we crossed paths. its a look I really enjoy.

I stopped racing once we got our van and have lost touch with the Honda scene for a few years now and was just wondering if there was any following with the off road crowd around expo. our rallyx program finally fizzed out here and now I have this little car that I don't need to leave stock to stay in class. kinda thinking about setting it up to flat tow behind our van as a fun car up camping.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ thanks lol. the build will happen and I guess if there's ever enough interest for rallyx in the area again I'll run in the mod classes. I was keeping them honest anyway :) first thing I need is some suspension. kind of why I made this thread to see if anyone had suggestions of something that worked well. most everything out there is aimed at the suby crowd, so not many options for hondas.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Here is our little 91 RT4wd Civic Wagon. It did great, with a fully selectable auto trans it crawled nicely, front and rear independent suspension handled washboard fantastically and it was UNSTOPABLE in hardpack/icy snow.

1075593_10151494826466782_410780728_o.jpg

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ nice! I have the exact same car only it's an 89 with the 6 speed. Yours looks a little taller than stock. What all have you done to it?

Heres ours getting ready to go try our tracks out for the first time.

And an action shot from one of our events

mtnkid85

Adventurer
It is completely stock, but I did some light trimming/pounding to fit a 195/75/14 Winterforce tire in the wheel wells.

redsoxfan1001

Alaska and back in a '03 Civic

View attachment 378688View attachment 378689
did a search for honda in this section and came up with 9 pages to sift through, but not much where anyone is really taking them too far from pavement. people doing anything cool with this brand around here? would love to see pix of them in action if anyone is using them for the non intended purpose. muddy hondas make me smile :)

on an unrelated note, is there an oddball vehicle thread in this section or something similar? a thread where people post those one off pix of random cars/trucks youll likely never see again?

Hey there. New to this forum so hello all. My gf and I just got back from Alaska a couple months back after working in Yellowstone for the summer. We went all the way to the Northwest Territories and drove on the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle in a 2003 Honda Civic lol. People thought we were crazy and between that and the "Highway on Top of the World" it was an adventure. Were on the road for about 45 days. I can do a write up if people are interested?

Edit: I keep trying to upload a photo or two and even if I go into paint and rotate em, it still stays upside down lol. NEWB problems. Idk if anyone has a solution to that.

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ i think people would want to hear a trip about those adventures, but theres not much honda love on this site, so i wouldnt focus on that aspect.

your pix are upside down, so hard to tell what you got going on with the car. are you using a roof top bag and no rack for your gear? either way, hell of a journey in such a little car from florida to alaska. what was your total miles after it was all said and done?

It is completely stock, but I did some light trimming/pounding to fit a 195/75/14 Winterforce tire in the wheel wells.

man, those tires make it look tall. maybe its just cause it fills up the wells. are you missing your bumper light covers? i probably have a set if your interested, or they are dirt cheap on ebay for the clears...if you care of course, lol.

redsoxfan1001

I spent so long trying to flip them over, even went into paint, flipped it over and it still came out upside down. Then realized they were in the wrong format. But here ya go... :drool:

Somewhere ball park 15,000-17,000. 8,000 miles was criss-crossing the U.S. and hitting national parks, then we did some regional travel in the Wyoming area then hit a lot on the way up to the Arctic Circle. Just a waterproof RoofBag with an extra ratchet set on top. Took the back seats out and laid them in the trunk, put pillows down and there was our bed for 2! haha it was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_4895(2).jpg
    IMG_4895(2).jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4941(2(.jpg
    IMG_4941(2(.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5149(2(.jpg
    IMG_5149(2(.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ good on ya for getting out and exploring even if you don't have the most ideal vehicle for the journey! some people focus so much on the perfect rig they never actually get out and see this world.

you two must be short, cause I could never sleep across the back seat of any civic, lol.

just barely saw a post regarding those rooftop bags for the first time within the last month on here. looks like a pretty good setup. any negative feedback about it?

Corneilius

Adventurer
^^^ nice! I have the exact same car only it's an 89 with the 6 speed. Yours looks a little taller than stock. What all have you done to it?

Heres ours getting ready to go try our tracks out for the first time.

And an action shot from one of our events

NEED MOAR PICS OF HONDA ON TRAX, also, cool van

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
weve only had it out once and surprisingly its illegal to use in quite a few places here. so we were really limited on where we could go test it out. so theres not many pix or vids yet. we need to do some mods to tracks to sustain the weight of the car as they are designed for a 2k kei truck or side by side and the car weights 2500. just haven't had the time to pursue the project further. we also need to build a few devices so we don't get stuck like we did in this video...

https://youtu.be/--g5-vR3MB8

what happened was our track got under the crust of the snow where they plowed the road and submarined, then bottomed out on chassis. before that we were busting through 2-3' of snow without any issues. we were all really impressed with the abilities of the car with the tracks on. we had very low expectations. theres another vid of my wife putting around and a timelapse of us digging the thing out, but those vids are rather lackluster, lol.

a few pix

if you look at the front view (3rd pic) you can see the tracks are positive cambered. the weight of the engine up front is just a little too much for the original design. ive talked with a guy who modifies these tracks for samurais and he explained how to make these work for our car, but again, just haven't had the time. ive got too many projects as it is and not enough income :( hard part was finding tracks I could afford. now we can work on them *** we get time and fundage.

and thanks for the van comps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior