2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There has been a lot of debate from pseudo experts in this thread regarding gears. Just about everyone but two members fear the gear and are flipping out why I'm running 37" tires on stock 3.73 gears. There are two camps here: re-gear and don't fear the gear. Both sides are speaking from experience and both camps are absolutely correct. This past week I just found out how this can be true and where this overwhelming fear of the gear comes from.

Before I started this project I sat down and crunched some numbers and did a little bit of research. Traditional overland vehicle is a Japanese underpowered and overpriced budget beater. We are talking Tacomas, Hardbodies, Frontiers, Monteros, Troopers. They are known for reliability and ease or working on when they break down on the trail. 100-200hp I4s or V6s that are barely able to propel an empty truck down the road and need to be run in 4x4 low to make it up just about any obstacle off road more difficult than 2-3 steps. This traditional underpowered setup has evolved to much more powerful and efficient powerplants in more heavy duty setups. The same popular Japanese trucks have also grown up big time. 2015 Tacoma is the same size, weight and horsepower as a 1990 full size Ford, GM or Dodge pickup. Even though the vehicles became more powerful and capable, most owners are still stuck in the 1980s and 1990s mentality brainwashed into the consumers by aftermarket parts manufacturers.

A good friend of mine has a 2015 Frontier and was impressed with what my Sub has done and wanted a similar setup on his 4cyl 2015 Frontier. I had absolutely no issues with my truck so I agreed to help him out so he can join me on the "dirt roads" I have been exploring in timelapse.

We put a 2-3" lift kit on the Frontier: rear shackles and strut spacers, then 33x12.5" tires. The truck looks fantastic, it looks so good that Nissan should send them off the assembly line looking like this.

View attachment 410101
Stock height with front right wheel on jack making front left look higher.

View attachment 410102
2-3" lift/level kit with stock tires

View attachment 410103
33s are on with the lift, damn the truck looks sexy.

And for the record for anyone that has a frontier that wants to do this, we had to remove the front spoiler/wind deflector, there was no trimming and nothing is rubbing. And yes we are running the stock steel rims with the 33x12.5s and they work perfectly at above 30 PSI.

Frontier did a 2-3 days of street driving and there was no significant difference in on street performance and the truck looks so sexy unlike my Sub.

Frontier is 2wd only and since I run all the "dirt roads" in the Sub in 2wd we went up Rocky Gap Road, video in earlier posts, only to the top, we didn't want to take the Frontier through the technical section. My buddy has been four wheeling for over a decade and swears by his manual transmission. 2 miles into the trail we reached the first obstacle, small rock garden and that was the end of the line for the Frontier. I hooked up my tow rope and pulled him through (I stayed in 2wd). 1/4 mile later we got to the next obstacle: couple dips and a sharp turn. All my Rubicon owning friends put their Jeeps in 4x4 low, lock all the diffs and disconnect the sway bar for this obstacle. I have always went through it in 2wd high with no problems. After 20 minutes of attempts from various angles and speeds the Frontier was done, could not make it through the section. We parked it to let the tranny cool down and I took my buddy all the way to the top in the Sub to show him what the rest trail looks like.

******, why does the Suburban able to efortlessly glide up this "dirt road," all my Jeep friends switch into 4x4 low and lock the diffs and the Frontier threw in a towel completely? GEARS, it's all about the engine power output, transmission, differential components, gears and tires. All of you naysayers were absolutely correct, your little underpowered Japanese overlanders MUST have different gears for any tire size increase from the factory or even if you want to keep the factory size tires and actually go off road. (This is what all the aftermarket parts manufactures brainwashed everyone with.)

View attachment 410105
We parked it to cool off, but damn the truck looks sexy with the 33s.

2000 Suburban weight ~6,000# engine ~300hp and ~300ft/lbs of torque.
2015 Frontier weight ~4,000# engine ~160hp and ~170ft/lbs of torque.

Frontier is 30% lighter than my Suburban and has 50% less HP and torque. It looks like a world traveling overlander but if you look at the numbers it's all just the looks without any substance. Frontier's 4.08 rear gears and the 160hp are not strong enough to push a 4,000lbs truck on 33s over any obstacles. Now we are trying to figure out what to do with the Frontier so he can keep up with me on the "dirt roads" which I got made fun of in earlier post for calling "Jeep trails."

So the moral of the story is that non V8 full size truck owners need some serious gears or a larger power plant in their rigs to power the larger tires, making 31x10.5 such a popular tire size in that community. Full size trucks, if driven with any common sense off road and on, function perfectly and reliably with stock gears and oversized tire. I have 15k miles with this setup without any problems.

Do not fear the gear, get out and run what you have, try what you have before you buy what you don't need.

The poop is getting deep in here! Anytime you feel like your pig can back up your claims and ASSumptions, take a drive up, I have cash that says your pig will "require" 4-lo long before my little underpowered/under-geared/oversized 7 passenger Japanese 20 year old truck with a whopping 1 inch lift and stock gears.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
My main concern would be burning up the transmission. Are you able to run in 2wd low ?

Uhauler,

The only gears I use are 2wd high for 99% of trails and 4wd low for really steep or really big obstacles. I tried 4x4 high but it puts way too much strain on the transmission. I am able to lock the rear wheels in 2wd which avoids constantly switching between 2wd high and 4wd low. I also have a towing package in the Sub with a good size transmission cooler.

My buddy in the Frontier almost burned up his clutch, two days later I could still smell it when I came near his truck. We are thinking about finding a same gen Frontier in a junk yard, pulling the transfer case and rear drive shaft along with all necessary cross members and bolting it up into the Frontier to have 2wd high and 2wd low, this would take the stress off the transmission.

Andrei

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
The poop is getting deep in here! Anytime you feel like your pig can back up your claims and ASSumptions, take a drive up, I have cash that says your pig will "require" 4-lo long before my little underpowered/under-geared/oversized 7 passenger Japanese 20 year old truck with a whopping 1 inch lift and stock gears.

Jeep-N-Montero,

You are right I would need 4x4 low gearing for a really steep paved driveway before your underpowered/overgeared/overweight Japanese truck does, however from my past experience on any trails where I could not take a honda civic on my good buddy with a Montero SR always had to put it in 4x4 low and lock the rear locker for obstacles I cruised over in 2wd high an that was with 32" tires.

Also your super amazing truck is plenty capable but if you see a trail with 2-3ft rocks all the way across you turn around and go back home, because your truck is not physically capable of driving over such obstacles without causing irreparable damage.

You keep on talking trash cause you spent more on your bumper than I did on everything and can't do half of what my truck does, I understand, thank you for following the thread. Btw, put up a pic or a video of your truck in action all I can imagine it's used for is commuting to work and exercising that tennis elbow when you wash it every weekend.

Cheers!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Of course he can't, it's a 2-speed factory case with 2-hi, 4-hi, and 4-lo.

Correct,

Factory transfer case, 2wd high, 4wd high or 4wd low. But I can lock the rear diff in forward and reverse in 2wd and 4wd which comes in very handy.

CrazyDrei

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I must have missed it if so, but did you put an aftermarket selectable locker in the rear axle?

McCustomize,

I'm running the factory G80 govlock, it's been exactly what I need and do not foresee changing it to an aftermarket selectable unit. Sorry if I confused you when I said I can lock, I mean that I can have it automatically engage in any gear and travel direction as long as there is 100rpm wheel spin difference and I'm under 25mph.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Gotcha, just wanted to clear it up that the G80 is a limited slip, not a true locker.

Wow, lots of interesting thoughts here. This is fact above.

G80 is a "limited slip"- period. It is NOT a locker. It will not lock as it cannot lock- it is a limited slip. Limited slips do not "engage", you cannot force them to engage, or "lock" as folks put it. It is actually just the opposite- you force a limited slip unit to- slip. When the combination of power/torque and traction is right, the applied torque from the engine overrides the amount of traction at the wheel/tire through the diff, the reaction is compressing the springs inside the unit on clutch based units and allowing the clutches to "slip" thus allowing for the common one tire fire famous with an otherwise open diff. Helical gear LS units are a little different. Limited slip units are great for drivers in inclement weather conditions-rain, snow/sleet, etc. where you may have patches of ice on the highway with one tire on good traction pavement and the other on snow/ice. A limited slip will keep both tires turning as this scenario isn't likely to overcome forces great enough to compress springs and allow it to slip so both tires maintain traction. Limited slip units are NOT a great choice for an aggressive off-road driver in the mud/rocks for instance where high traction is required, rocks and greater amounts of suspension movement with lifting a tire likely occurrence. For this type of situation, a real locker would be a better option for a more off-road rig.

Gearing- proper gearing is essential to vehicle performance, period. Think of it like riding a 21 speed mountain bike. Your engine is essentially a vacuum pump (your lungs) and the transmission and axle gears put the power (your leg strength and pedal input) to the ground for propulsion. Your engine wants to operate at optimum efficiency and makes maximum power and mileage in that optimum efficiency range. Add bigger tires or weight and you add strain to the vehicle thus requiring greater in put-more fuel, more effort to turn. This generates more heat (you work harder and breath harder and sweat). Heat kills. Heat kills everything and especially automatic transmissions. Add bigger tires to your truck and you are essentially starting out your 21 speed mountain bike in top gear. This takes you huge amount of strain/stress to get the bike moving from a stop. You will find yourself standing up in the seat and using all your leg strength to turn the pedals. This requires a great deal of effort and strength to get going. Once you're moving, it gets slightly easier but you're strained and fatigued. Add a hill and you're back standing again fighting to keep pedals turning, and won't keep top gear for long. Your truck is doing same thing. Constantly shifting in and out of overdrive on the highway. Only heat from your muscles and sweat from your brow is heat buildup within the transmission and added fuel to burn to power the rig. Re-gear the truck to gain back lost performance. This is moving the operating range of the vehicle back where it wants to be for optimum performance. You are no longer fighting to maintain 70 and kicking in and out of overdrive, you're now holding gear and have passing power. You now have control and finesse off road in low range. You can go too low a gear- start your 21 speed bike out in 1st gear and at that same stop light, you'll pedal like mad moving your legs as fast as you can and running out of wind quickly but barely able to keep balance as you're not moving anywhere very fast. Huge input but no resulting output at the tire. Key is to find balance and gear the truck to get vehicle back to proper operating range for optimum performance. Most people believe they have enough power and the truck is "just fine" without gears. This couldn't be further from the truth. You can't or won't want to run your bike in top gear- that's why you bought a 21 speed. Your truck doesn't either.

Sorry for my long winded basic response. Drei hit the nail on the head- "don't fear the gear- embrace it". Gears are your number 1 over looked and misunderstood modification, yet offer your biggest bang for the buck without question. Whether you realize it or not, everyone with modded truck and bigger tires need gears.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Ivan

Lost in Space
Lol, I can't tell if this is the best thread ever based on the run what you brung attitude, or the most perfect trolling ever.

Keep it up, it's awesome to see what you're doing with your Suburban so far.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Wow, lots of interesting thoughts here. This is fact above.

G80 is a "limited slip"- period. It is NOT a locker. It will not lock as it cannot lock- it is a limited slip. Limited slips do not "engage", you cannot force them to engage, or "lock" as folks put it. It is actually just the opposite- you force a limited slip unit to- slip. When the combination of power/torque and traction is right, the applied torque from the engine overrides the amount of traction at the wheel/tire through the diff, the reaction is compressing the springs inside the unit on clutch based units and allowing the clutches to "slip" thus allowing for the common one tire fire famous with an otherwise open diff. Helical gear LS units are a little different. Limited slip units are great for drivers in inclement weather conditions-rain, snow/sleet, etc. where you may have patches of ice on the highway with one tire on good traction pavement and the other on snow/ice. A limited slip will keep both tires turning as this scenario isn't likely to overcome forces great enough to compress springs and allow it to slip so both tires maintain traction. Limited slip units are NOT a great choice for an aggressive off-road driver in the mud/rocks for instance where high traction is required, rocks and greater amounts of suspension movement with lifting a tire likely occurrence. For this type of situation, a real locker would be a better option for a more off-road rig.

Gearing- proper gearing is essential to vehicle performance, period. Think of it like riding a 21 speed mountain bike. Your engine is essentially a vacuum pump (your lungs) and the transmission and axle gears put the power (your leg strength and pedal input) to the ground for propulsion. Your engine wants to operate at optimum efficiency and makes maximum power and mileage in that optimum efficiency range. Add bigger tires or weight and you add strain to the vehicle thus requiring greater in put-more fuel, more effort to turn. This generates more heat (you work harder and breath harder and sweat). Heat kills. Heat kills everything and especially automatic transmissions. Add bigger tires to your truck and you are essentially starting out your 21 speed mountain bike in top gear. This takes you huge amount of strain/stress to get the bike moving from a stop. You will find yourself standing up in the seat and using all your leg strength to turn the pedals. This requires a great deal of effort and strength to get going. Once you're moving, it gets slightly easier but you're strained and fatigued. Add a hill and you're back standing again fighting to keep pedals turning, and won't keep top gear for long. Your truck is doing same thing. Constantly shifting in and out of overdrive on the highway. Only heat from your muscles and sweat from your brow is heat buildup within the transmission and added fuel to burn to power the rig. Re-gear the truck to gain back lost performance. This is moving the operating range of the vehicle back where it wants to be for optimum performance. You are no longer fighting to maintain 70 and kicking in and out of overdrive, you're now holding gear and have passing power. You now have control and finesse off road in low range. You can go too low a gear- start your 21 speed bike out in 1st gear and at that same stop light, you'll pedal like mad moving your legs as fast as you can and running out of wind quickly but barely able to keep balance as you're not moving anywhere very fast. Huge input but no resulting output at the tire. Key is to find balance and gear the truck to get vehicle back to proper operating range for optimum performance. Most people believe they have enough power and the truck is "just fine" without gears. This couldn't be further from the truth. You can't or won't want to run your bike in top gear- that's why you bought a 21 speed. Your truck doesn't either.

Sorry for my long winded basic response. Drei hit the nail on the head- "don't fear the gear- embrace it". Gears are your number 1 over looked and misunderstood modification, yet offer your biggest bang for the buck without question. Whether you realize it or not, everyone with modded truck and bigger tires need gears.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for a great explanation and I truly hope that everyone takes time to read your comment. Other than the driver heat is the engine's worst enemy. I am lucky to have a 2 core radiator (which is beginning to leak after 17 years) and a transmission cooler to compensate for the abuse I put the truck through but changing the gears is a simple yet really expensive way to reduce the load on the engine.

I put 1,500 miles on the Sub couple weeks ago when I wen to Yosemite for a week. Regular driving and commuting as well as easy dirt roads with a couple fun obstacles here and there the truck does great, but once I put a load on it I can feel it. 2,500# trailer and 1,000# of people and gear in the truck bogged me down to run in 2nd or 3rd gears at the same speed I would run empty. With lower transmission gears I had to run at higher RPMs. The last 100k miles the Sub never saw anything above 2,500 RMP, Yosemite trip I spent a lot of time at nearly 3,000RPM. Crazyness, I know. I need to get at least 4.10 gears to get back to my happy place, it's on my list, but I just don't have the money to burn like that. Already have a new front diff in the garage but need to figure out what I want to do with the rear end to keep it under budget.

Your explanation of the G80 is spot on, I only refer to it as a locker out of habit from pissing off my off road buddies with true lockers.

PS. I chose ExpeditionPortal to have my truck build and adventure thread due to it being the most positive off-road forum compared to pirate4x4 or Z71 only, other than the few rotten apples this forum has been a great asset to the Suburban build and our adventures thanks to the positive feedback from users like you.

Thank you and stay tuned for more shenanigans.

Andrei

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Lol, I can't tell if this is the best thread ever based on the run what you brung attitude, or the most perfect trolling ever.

Keep it up, it's awesome to see what you're doing with your Suburban so far.

Ivan,

I am truly enjoying the running commentary as well.

We live in the world where people spend a lifetime chasing a dream while forgetting to live it and get upset when someone else is living it.

I have another fun budget project in the works as we speak which will surely stir things up when I post the write up.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Ivan,

We live in the world where people spend a lifetime chasing a dream while forgetting to live it and get upset when someone else is living it.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Andrei-you nailed it here! My Suburban HD build has snowballed into this exact scenario- though I'm not upset but thrilled to see you living yours. I envy you. I have huge respect for the budget builds and mine started out exactly that way. Fortunately, or Un-fortunately depending on how you look at it, I stumbled onto some "deals" that took my build a different direction and now I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn back. It will be awesome when it's done, but the whole point was to take my little girl out on adventures before she's too old to want to hang around mom and dad anymore. I'm at a point where I'm stuck building and not out adventuring which sucks. You're doing it- and I love every minute of it! Props to you buddy, that is outstanding and keep the adventures coming! Suburban HD will come, for now we'll stick to the Jeep. :)

Refresh my memory again- what axles are you running front and rear again? I'll keep my eyes open...

Best of Luck,

Mike

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Andrei-you nailed it here! My Suburban HD build has snowballed into this exact scenario- though I'm not upset but thrilled to see you living yours. I envy you. I have huge respect for the budget builds and mine started out exactly that way. Fortunately, or Un-fortunately depending on how you look at it, I stumbled onto some "deals" that took my build a different direction and now I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn back. It will be awesome when it's done, but the whole point was to take my little girl out on adventures before she's too old to want to hang around mom and dad anymore. I'm at a point where I'm stuck building and not out adventuring which sucks. You're doing it- and I love every minute of it! Props to you buddy, that is outstanding and keep the adventures coming! Suburban HD will come, for now we'll stick to the Jeep. :)

Refresh my memory again- what axles are you running front and rear again? I'll keep my eyes open...

Best of Luck,

Mike

Mike,

Don't give up on your dream, put the wheels back on your HD and take it for a spin, getting the old lady out of the driveway could always turn into an adventure your girl will never forget.

I'm running 8.25" front IFS and 10 bolt 8.6" factory rear axle with 3.73 gears and G80 limited slip.

Andrei

PS, do you have a build page for the HD, would love to see what you did with it and steal some ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior