2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

AlexCold

Observer
Very cool. I've seen the Puma out there but hadn't found a good price and then got a show price on the 450C. I'm curious to see the final setup, I was thinking about something similar since it takes so long to do one at a time.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Snorkel, grrrr.

OK, 2 trips with the snorkel and I am a little disappointed. MPG went up that's mostly due to the restricted factory airbox, however the motor felt like it was suffocating and the second I put in in 4x4 low and pointed it up the hill check engine light came on and codes did not stop until I disconnected the snorkel from the airbox and put the cold air intake back on.

2WnLmZM.jpg

First error code, have seen this one before a couple years ago.

Jq61K8p.jpg

First time I have seen this one.

X4HNHug.jpg

First time I have ever seen this one too. There were two other codes that popped up the first day, but I did not write them down before clearing the computer.

QY0upQX.jpg

Bye bye factory airbox once again and welcome back oiled K&N. I also pulled out all the spark plugs to make sure they were in acceptable shape and checked all the spark plug wires, ended up ripping a couple apart and shortening them by an inch while waiting for new wires to arrive.

Spark plugs were dirty but no unusual wear. I also ran three cans of seafoam in the gas tank with a 1/2 tank of gas and everything said and done did not get any check engine codes on the last 400mile trip.

8iUn0GZ.jpg

Keeping the snorkel on for looks until I figure out how to make the factory airbox opening bigger to accommodate more air so the motor doesn't feel like it's chocking at low speeds.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Watt maker

Did you reset the ECM when you installed the factory airbox and plumbed in the snorkel? I'm wondering if it the air flow/temperature difference was too much between the snorkel and intake you have pictured. I would think you would have more issues with the hot air intake you have pictured than being plumbed into the snorkel. The only other thing it could possibly be is that the air from the snorkel is too turbulent, especially at speed.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Did you reset the ECM when you installed the factory airbox and plumbed in the snorkel? I'm wondering if it the air flow/temperature difference was too much between the snorkel and intake you have pictured. I would think you would have more issues with the hot air intake you have pictured than being plumbed into the snorkel. The only other thing it could possibly be is that the air from the snorkel is too turbulent, especially at speed.

Watt maker,

I did not reset the ECM after putting the airbox in and connecting it to the snorkel. I took the truck out and within 3 miles of driving and 100ft in 4x4 low check engine light turned on, and another mile down the trail check engine light started blinking,. I drove it home and reset the ECM, but no change, anytime I stepped on the throttle the engine would bog down, and check engine light would turn on and start blinking. If I step on the throttle hard enough to downshift, the motor did not feel like it was bogged down.

K&N filter setup that is pictured used to have a heat shield around it to limit how much hot air enters the intake, however even without it no check engine codes in 1,000miles and I spent a day in Death Valley where it reached 102F the other day climbing from below sea level to above 6,000ft several times.

Turbulent air from the snorkel has no effect on the performance, since at above 55mph there is no bogging down at all.

I am still sticking to the fact that my opening in the airbox was decreased from nearly 35 square inches to 7 is the choke point and I am working on opening the snorkel outlet to 4" which would increase the intake area to 12.5 square inches from the 3" opening and go from there.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What I take most from this photo (aside from your boys having fun!) is the Sub is nearly the same height of the 4Runner (which looks to be stock). Yet you have much bigger tires. That's pretty neat.
Also how did you mount the light bar if you don't mind?

AlexCold,

Light bar was the first modification I did to the truck some 5 years ago when I first got it and it has saved my butt many times. I originally wanted to get a windshield mounted light bar but after driving in friend's trucks the glare from the hood was unbearable. 36" bar fits perfectly inside the Chevy grill.

I mounted it with 4 pieces of galvenized L brackets from Home Depot, I think they cost $0.57 each, and a couple self tapping screws to the radiator support.

WFkwh9Z.jpg

Drivers side mount.

dXbUJgQ.jpg

Passenger side mount.

rrlfORv.jpg

Passenger side mount again.

a94hDI8.jpg

Driver's side mount again.

My original plan was to cut the brackets shorter and paint them black, but 5 years later I don't think it's going to happen.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Death Valley Day Trip!

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

The weather is becoming warmer and our trips to Death Valley are going to become more rare, with this said we ventured off to explore two canyons that are accessed off the West End Rd on the west side of Badwater Basin.

HeBepYo.jpg

We pulled 1/4 mile off the pavement to air down the trucks.

BprnYal.jpg

Boys were let loose to explore the area just outside Devil's Gold Course.

dV5Owyc.jpg

Boys recovered from their two hour drive and trucks ready we headed several miles south on West End Rd until we reached our first trail: Trail Canyon.

5Hm8Sex.jpg

We climbed approximately one vertical mile up a never-ending wash for what seemed like an eternity and were rewarded with a mining camp to explore. 37" tires and 2wd on the Jeep trail where the Jeep and 4Runner crawled in 4low I had a 25 minute head start on enjoying the destination while waiting for the other two. (they were much quicker on the way down)

rtT39qt.jpg

All three of us at the end of the road.

9PjeH8t.jpg

One of many cabins in Death Valley that is maintained for tourists to use.

Fx8BE0J.jpg

Old rake outside the cabin.

Z5GrX6Q.jpg

Custom made stove in the cabin to keep warm in the winter.

OaJnMF2.jpg

Refreshments for future visitors.

FIDlk0v.jpg

Pretty floor wallpaper.

K5F8r4V.jpg

Old battery for an electric fence.

qjeCa1W.jpg

Old shop with lots of supplies for the mining operation.

sHYzxi5.jpg

Closer look at the shop bench.

LiwV0Ee.jpg

Bunk house.

cBzmWJq.jpg

Inside of the bunk house with a grand fireplace.

iZ5Fg7z.jpg

Bunkhouse kitchen.

RcmBclW.jpg

Ore hopper.

0k5wJaw.jpg

Better view of the hopper and foundation of a what used to be a refinery or processing plant.

ln0j4zs.jpg

Remains of a tower and a cart from an aerial tramway.

t6aockZ.jpg

Aerial ore cart.

More adventures continued in the next post.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Death Valley Day Trip! Continued from previous post.

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

jAJC4i3.jpg

Pile of trash just outside the mining camp.

6jdKaLT.jpg

Found this little gem at nearly 6,000 above sea level, 1950 Buick Super, thanx to AlexCold for identifying!

5BnDgv1.jpg

Side view of the sedan.

9IKIyhr.jpg

This was all my touch, adding a snorkel to a junk yard relic.

Great trip but we spent so much time exploring that did not get to all the canyons that I planned n doing in one day. Hopefully we will get to them before the weather gets too hot.

Last edited:

Watt maker

Interesting snorkel on the side of that old car!

I really need to take some trips out there to explore. So cool to see that it’s not vandalized or picked apart yet.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Interesting snorkel on the side of that old car!

I really need to take some trips out there to explore. So cool to see that it’s not vandalized or picked apart yet.

Watt maker,

The snorkel was all me, I found it in a pile of junk, there was a hole on the side of the car that fit the snorkel perfectly. The snorkel came out of a truck that was 1/2 mile up canyon, the boys were too much trouble to hike up to it and take pictures. I am glad that it was not vandalized, however after 12-14 miles up a nasty wash and over 5,000ft of elevation gain, not too many vandals can get to it.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Cool pics Crazy. You always seem to find the cool places to adventure. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Chilli,

Thank you, just enjoying my budget build and watching me running these 4x4 Jeep trails in 2wd high. Thanx for believing, encouraging and following my adventures. Many more to come all summer as long as I don't destroy too many of my friend's trucks and they stop going with me.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Crazy I have always liked your get it done aditude to keeping your rig rolling. The only way we can see if something is going to work is by doing the modification and then getting out on the trail and testing it. This is exactly what you have done and proven that it works fine. Love your adventures and your rig as I am sure both you and your family do. This website is in my oppinion a way to give people constructive and positive info and encouragement to helping them along. Thanks for keeping us tuned to your shennigans. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

AlexCold

Observer
It's a 1950 Buick Super (pretty sure it's not a 51, and can guarantee it's not a 49 (different side trim) or 53 (different headlamp)), with a hot straight 8 and an automatic! 0-60mph in 14.5s which is fast for back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior