2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Don't let the naysayers discourage you. Most have never done what they are saying can't be done.

I ran 37s on my Silverado for a few years with no problems, wheeled it as well. Only broke 1 CV at a hardcore offroad park in sticky clay. I was running keys and a 3" body lift. It cleared the fenders fine and would have cleared a stock bumper with trimming.

I also ran 2" rear spacers for 5 years with zero issues as well. Get some tie rod sleeves while you are in there.

I was running 4.56 gears and later went to 4.88s with 37s so don't fear the gear, keep an eye out on craigslist, guys are always upgrading.

IMG_5636_1.jpg

Mccustomize,

Your truck looks fantastic, love how you put the dana 44 on it for back woods driving but not crawling. There is no naysayer that will ever discourage me, they are all full of poop because they have been brainwashed by the aftermarket parts manufacturers non substantial advertising as the only acceptable industry standard. There is a heated argument in this thread because everyone thinks that just because there is a round home in the axle the wheels on the truck are hubcentric, yet they have to match the bevel in the lug nuts to the bevel in the rims otherwise they are not centered on that magical hubcentric hub, LOL.

I have rod sleeves, I'm going to put them on before I run 37s as a daily driver.

Thanks for the positive vibes.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm interested to see what "Jeep trails" you have in mind that you hope to casually cruise in 2wd without busting the rear axle or burning up the trans while trying to turn those 37's. I am a GM guy and wouldn't even try to fit 37's on our Yukon 2500, a full size rig with a leveling kit running 255/85r16's and proper body armor is all you need for most trails that a burb will even fit on. But best of luck to you.

No reply??

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
geronracing,

I appreciate your concern regarding running 37s with the 8.25 up front especially with 3.73 gears until I find a good deal on 4.10 or 4.56, however this is a negative hypothetical armchair philosopher stance with no real world examples to back the claims. I used to have a 1988 Isuzu Trooper 2, I put 3" lugcentric wheel spacers and 35x12.5s on the stock 15x5" rims, ran that setup for 115k miles with absolutely no issues, and I beat that truck up on 4x4 trails every weekend for over three years. Suburban drivetrain is much stronger (all parts are visually larger/thicker) and will have absolutely no problems with the 37s.

4L60e is a terrible transmission on paper and the towing package on the Sub sux too, especially since it's only rated to 8,200#, however I have pulled a 12,300# boat (no electrical or surge brakes) from Vegas to LA 8-10 times a year for the last two years in 115 degree heat with 6 people in the truck and AC running at 55-65mph and the thermostat never read above 195.

I am concerned about blowing up my tranny, diffs, axles, u-joints, drive shaft however I can not find any actual numbers of the shearing or torsional values that support these claims.

So to stay on the positive side of the build, 1,000 miles with the rear spacers and no wobble or problems, front spacers are going on in a couple days, so I'll put the pics up in a week or two.

Only shenanigans I see is someone knowingly bragging about breaking the law and putting the lives of other people at risk, and for that I do hope you find yourself stranded far from innocent bystanders in the middle of nowhere....:coffeedrink:

rayra

Expedition Leader
You have an odd relationship with reality. I leave you to your broadbrushing, mischaracterizing and emotional drama. Enjoy your build.

Burb One

Adventurer
EDIT- Not going to comment the the rest.... it was a good discussion in regards to the hubs, cvs, etc... thought the point of forums was to discuss pros, cons, experiences.

Just at a loss, don't really know what to say with towing 12000 pounds with a 1500 truck without (or even with) trailer brakes. That should be considered attempted murder. Hope you and your family stay safe, please don't put them, or anyone else in danger.

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
Wow a lot of hate for running around with big tires. People need to get out more and off the Internet.

Cool build, cheap and to the point. I always liked the idea of a low center of gravity with the smallest lift and largest tires possible.

My f250 came with a 4in lift and 35s and I always think about moving it back to a leveling kit with the 35s.

Ivan

Lost in Space

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say just give er Mr Crazy and lets see how your build goes. Remeber to post lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli..:)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Lol, you won't run 37s on 2500 running gear?

You know there's an Escalade running around with 2500 running gear (axles and all) on 37's tackling Moab, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeneralTire/status/712440830976393216

https://youtu.be/Py19tdVvVOI

Custom work aside, that's a 2500 swap upfront with a full floater 14bb in the back.

Man this is starting to look more and more like the old days of DiscoWeb...

I just find it pointless to try to make a full size rig run trails it was not designed for, been stuck behind far too many rigs on the trail in Moab that shouldn't have been there in the first place. If you want to be amused, go watch the videos of the Ford Crown Victoria running Hell's Revenge, seeing an Escalade on 37's running the same trail is laughable at best. The OP stated he was building his rig so he could have the "ability to cruise 4x4 Jeep trails in 2WD", I can tell you that any real trail worthy of being called a "Jeep trail" will have him in 4wd, otherwise it would be called a Subaru trail....

And I am all too familiar with GM axles, I can tear down and set up a 14b axle with my eyes closed, I used to help out a close friend who designed and engineered the torq 14 bolt axle http://www.torqaxle.com/

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I'm interested to see what "Jeep trails" you have in mind that you hope to casually cruise in 2wd without busting the rear axle or burning up the trans while trying to turn those 37's. I am a GM guy and wouldn't even try to fit 37's on our Yukon 2500, a full size rig with a leveling kit running 255/85r16's and proper body armor is all you need for most trails that a burb will even fit on. But best of luck to you.

Jeep-n-Montero,

First of all, you have a fantastic truck, have a good friend with a Montero SR and we have been on some fun adventures in that truck. To answer your question, when I say Jeep trails, I really mean Subaru trails such as Steele Pass and Lippincott road in Death Valley, Rocky Gap road in Red Rock Canyon NV all of which I have done in 2wd high in my Suburban thanks to the amazing G80 GovLock rear diff. Back to my buddies' Montero SR and Rubicon and FJ, they have absolutely no problems on any of these trails either, it's a lot of fun watching them navigate the same trail in 4wd low with the rear locks engaged. I'm not looking to build my truck to run Hell's Revenge, if I did I would spend the extra money on a body lift, LOL.

You are clearly mislead by your own misconception that every truck with 37" tires has to be a $50k rock crawler, that is not what I am building. I am building a truck that seats 6 comfortably and camping gear for 3-4 weeks comfortably and can run 500miles on a single fill up without gas cans hanging off the bumper or roof rack. All this on a budget. And the option of doing light off road trails with more comfort than my 32s provide with 70PSI.

PS: you spent more on your Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks than I did on the 3" lift and wheels and 37" tires, and ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning cost you more than what I paid for the truck to begin with. Let that one sink in for a moment.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Cool build CrazyDrei, I like your low-budget approach!

While 37 inch tires are indeed a lot of tire for 8.25" IFS front differential (or any 8-1/4" differential come to think of it) and CVs, my humble advice and an option that I haven't seen anyone mention is "carry a spare CV axle" and have the tools, supplies, knowledge and practice to do a trail swap-out if needed. The chance of having a complete CV failure to the point of making your rig no longer drive-able would be pretty small, and you'll probably never have to do it (it would be a PIA out on the trail), but if it comes down to it, its definetly an option.

Now if your front differential fails completely (I've never seen a documented example for the 8.25," pictures anyone?), that becomes a slightly more interesting problem, but it's still possible to get off the trail in 2wd if a little ingenuity (E.G.: trail hackery) is used...

I think the key with a tire this big on a rig this heavy, is be gentle with the go-pedal. Treat it like a sensitive friend that doesn't take criticism well. ;)

For a rear axle that is better capable of handling those big meats (it would be more difficult to find then a replacement 8.5 ten-bolt, especially for a reasonable price, but they are out there) you might considering looking for a 6-lug 9.5" semi-floater 14-bolt out of a similar-year Suburban, Escalade or GMC Yukon, but make sure it has 4:10s and don't fall for the rear axle from a 1500HD pickup because it's setup for leaf-springs and not coils. Here's a link to an individual that did this: http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=34465 These rear axle assemblies are notoriously hard to find, but a great upgrade, as the ring-gear is one inch larger and the axles are 1.37 inches in diameter. Not quite a 14-bolt full-floater, but much better then the stock 10-bolt you currently have. You'll need a conversion u-joint to work with your stock driveshaft when installing this axle.

Another option, and one that would be worth considering, is the more commonly available rear axle from a Hummer H2... Supposedly, because of the H2s weird hybrid frame design which is some parts 1500 and 2500 if I understand correctly, the rear 5-link 14-bolt 9.5" axle will bolt into your Suburban, but please investigate this if you consider it because I've never personally done this particular swap. These axles came from the factory with 4.10:1 gears and a factory Eaton e-locker (electric locking differential) and can be had online for $600-$800 with free shipping. The problem with this swap is that it's 8-lug and the width of the axle is 3-4 inches wider then your current axle. The width isn't a problem, since it would allow you to just not run wheel spacers on the rear, but the lug-pattern is, because then you'd have to carry two-spares with you. Not a deal breaker, but annoying, especially for a matched set of wheels. They do make 6-to-8 lug conversion wheel spacers that are 2 inches wide that would work for the front if you wanted to run 8-lug wheels all-around, but being that those are 2-piece spacers, and that your running 37" tires, that would personally make me very nervous.

Of course, with any of these swaps, you'd need to find a matching 8.25" front diff (option code "GT5" for 4.10:1 gears on the RPO code sheet in the glove box) in the wrecking yard as well.

Lots of options to consider, some of which are affordable and some of which aren't, but at least there's options. :sombrero:

TwinDuro,

You are absolutely right, there are so many options to consider that my build options are virtually limitless. My main focus is to see how far I can take my G80 GT4 with a $1,000 budget. I also don't want to change the factory suspension angles but want to roll over bigger obstacles. Not a rock crawler or a trophy truck by any means. I'm building something that no one else has and no one can grasp this concept. I like you analogy to the sensitive friend that doesn't take criticism well, sounds like there are many entertaining this thread, haha.

I used to have a 88 Trooper II, put 35x12.5s on the stock factory 5.5" rims. Everyone told me that it's suicidal and dangerous and I will be braking parts every time I drove it, but after 115k miles and running 4x4 trails with my Jeep friends every other weekend for two years I got stuck plenty but never broke down. Trying to do something similar with the Suburban. I am more focused on comfort of running 37s and my 500+ mile range without gas cans.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'm building and will keep the pictures coming to shut up the naysayers.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep-n-Montero,

First of all, you have a fantastic truck, have a good friend with a Montero SR and we have been on some fun adventures in that truck. To answer your question, when I say Jeep trails, I really mean Subaru trails such as Steele Pass and Lippincott road in Death Valley, Rocky Gap road in Red Rock Canyon NV all of which I have done in 2wd high in my Suburban thanks to the amazing G80 GovLock rear diff. Back to my buddies' Montero SR and Rubicon and FJ, they have absolutely no problems on any of these trails either, it's a lot of fun watching them navigate the same trail in 4wd low with the rear locks engaged. I'm not looking to build my truck to run Hell's Revenge, if I did I would spend the extra money on a body lift, LOL.

You are clearly mislead by your own misconception that every truck with 37" tires has to be a $50k rock crawler, that is not what I am building. I am building a truck that seats 6 comfortably and camping gear for 3-4 weeks comfortably and can run 500miles on a single fill up without gas cans hanging off the bumper or roof rack. All this on a budget. And the option of doing light off road trails with more comfort than my 32s provide with 70PSI.

PS: you spent more on your Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks than I did on the 3" lift and wheels and 37" tires, and ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning cost you more than what I paid for the truck to begin with. Let that one sink in for a moment.

I'm not mislead by anything, as a matter of fact I disagree with most rigs "needing" big tires, the Jeep I sold recently only had 35's and was way too built to the point it made obstacles too easy to get over. All of my rigs have been built on a budget with a low center of gravity and comparatively smaller tires than most you see on the trail, I simply learned how to drive better. I just don't see the point in trying to run 37's on a rig that would be more reliable and just as capable with a smaller tire setup, but if you feel the need to justify something or compensate/prove something by doing so then good luck in your attempts. And I have far less invested in Monty than you assume, bought the rig and everything I installed on it for less than what most folks earn in a single month, being smart and mechanically inclined tends to save a lot of money.

Burb One

Adventurer
TwinDuro,

You are absolutely right, there are so many options to consider that my build options are virtually limitless. My main focus is to see how far I can take my G80 GT4 with a $1,000 budget. I also don't want to change the factory suspension angles but want to roll over bigger obstacles. Not a rock crawler or a trophy truck by any means. I'm building something that no one else has and no one can grasp this concept. I like you analogy to the sensitive friend that doesn't take criticism well, sounds like there are many entertaining this thread, haha.

I used to have a 88 Trooper II, put 35x12.5s on the stock factory 5.5" rims. Everyone told me that it's suicidal and dangerous and I will be braking parts every time I drove it, but after 115k miles and running 4x4 trails with my Jeep friends every other weekend for two years I got stuck plenty but never broke down. Trying to do something similar with the Suburban. I am more focused on comfort of running 37s and my 500+ mile range without gas cans.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'm building and will keep the pictures coming to shut up the naysayers.

LOL a 1500 GMT800 37's with a body lift and cranked keys is not unique, go to any local mall in many areas and look under them. I'd guess you wouldn't see any pinstriping on them either.

What is rare is a GMT800 with a bodylift and 37's on the trails. Reason is those trucks will break something and then that $800 tow bill or the hastle of buying parts in a middle of nowhere town wont look so great next to the cheap minded mods some of us are recommending. Once that happens people dial it back to sensible tires and start looking at other things or trash the truck.... Been there, done that.

Yes, some of us spend a bit much into our trucks (3-4k lift kits, etc.) Maybe, I'm one of those people (my suspension is half homemade sweat, weld and blood and the other half $3k for coilovers, 14 bolt, etc.- which is a steal compared to newer trucks) but none of us are saying you have to do that. Simply saying look we've had these trucks for years on 35's with the mods you are talking about, and broke ******** a lot. From these experiences we'd say 37's are a bad idea and we'd stay to 35's or below and here's some sub $300 options for that.

It DOES look like you plan on actually offroading with your truck (and seems you have with trucks in the past), which is awesome, but there's a reason many of us GMT800 owners are telling you not to go to 37's, we've been there (albeit not on 37's but on 33's and 35's) and are warning you that it WILL break your CV axles and your G80. I have spent more than a weekend in my life in the mud and rain fixing a CV or disconnecting a shaft so we still have 4x2 on GMT400's and 800's. Albeit there's different driving styles and technical terrain, but at some point with these trucks in particular it's not skill involved in regards to breaking stuff at some obstacles. With heavy rotational mass and undersized and bad angle tripod joints, you'll break them.

The point of this forum is to share information, experience, etc. Sometimes people are wrong, sometimes are right. Coming in here with a tone like this, won't get much rise. Many of us simply don't give a ********.

The only point I'm saying this, is this 37's talk/debate/ disagreement, is fine. I hope it does work out for you, I think some of have said our piece. I hope I'm wrong and we can see some pictures of you getting through your trails with a giant smile on your face because you know, that guy on the interent, was wrong. You know maybe we can all meet up and enjoy it all together. I love it when a buddy proves me wrong at an obstacle (also love seeing myself right if I'm not the one doing the trail side repairs)

What I'm not about and what some of use are not wrong about, and what many are missing in this forum, is 37's, 12000 lbs in 1500 TRUCK, that's not you in the forest getting stuck, that's you barreling down the grapveine and taking out a family at the bottom because of brake failure. That's what I give a ******** about

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles