2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: West Side Rd in Death Valley

This is the last timelapse of last week's trip. West Side Rd is a relatively well maintained road that parallels Badwater Rd. Northern terminus is approximately half way between Artist Drive entrance and exit and the southern terminus is just north of Ashford Ruins.

I drove and filmed the timelapse going northbound starting near Ashford Ruins. I did not take any side canyons this time however I did pull into Eagle Borax Works half way through the drive.

It's a very well mainatined dirt road where any vehicle including sedans should be able to navigate with minor scuffs on the underside. Any SUV fro the factory will make the drive with no issues at all. 4x4 or high clearance is not required on West Side Rd.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
eBay hood pin failure

The hood latch broke of several months ago, I temporarily held the hood down with a couple canoe straps. I did not want to spend $60 on a new hood from a junk yard so I bought eBay hood pins. They worked really well on my rice rockets of high school days so I gave them a fair shot.

I was surprised that they lasted as long as they have. Over 500 miles of fast washboard dirt roads. However just as I thought, cheap made in China aluminum is no match for my Sub.

5FI0Fpo.jpg

I sheared one of the pins clean. So the canoe strap went back on. I might change the aluminum pins out for grade 8 steel, I am sure it will hold a little better but until then canoe strap it is.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
40s would be fun.

I just found a gmt400 suburban that I hope I will be able to purchase. It’s so clean that it makes me want to do bad things to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexCold,

I absolutely love the GMT400 platform and if I didn't already have my GMT800 and actually had money to spend I would pick up a GMT400 K1500 with barn doors in a heartbeat.

OJmc4mT.jpg

My old '98 K1500 GMC Suburban with 6" lift and 35s. There are 6 people in the truck in that picture and nearly 1,000lbs of camping gear to keep up self sufficient for a 6 week trip, and consistent 650-700 miles per tank of gas fully loaded.

Hope you got that truck and better be sharing pictures with us.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Snow Fix

Last few weeks we have been exploring the dry and desolate corners of Death Valley, and despite the amazing and never ending landscape I needed a short break. My opportunity came the other day when I decided to take the one and two year olds skiing. On the way up the mountain I took a quick detour trail that should have kept some of the 2-5" we received the night before.

Even though it snowed just a few hours earlier, unseasonably warm temperatures melted most of the snow, with a snow area that I could play in at the end of the trail.

jmYOAjo.jpg

Little hill in 2-3" of snow.

a0DT6dw.jpg

Another angle.

kdT8H93.jpg

Nothing too steep or dramatic but pleasant to get the tires on the snow after returning from 80 degree days in Death Valley.

DveGNj6.jpg

Last angle of baby suspension articulation. The snow was so wet and slippery that the Sub was slowly sliding sideways and down the hill while I was taking pictures.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Snow play

I was leaving the snow play area and saw this innocent looking stump. I remember seeing a video on YouTube with a Jeep Wrangled with front and rear Detroit lockers climbing up a stump much taller than this one in snow and had to give it a shot.

Chilliwak these flexi pics are for you!

hotXc9H.jpg

Yes all wheels are in contact with the ground.

gVoHXcS.jpg

Stump is approximately 24-26" high.

x8WwpFx.jpg

I am getting the most out of the 8" front wheel travel.

6s9F90h.jpg

I was going to use the rocks as stepping stones but then it would be too easy, so I went up the stump without using the rocks, look at the tire track carefully.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
DAY TRIP: Aztec Wash trails at Lake Mead

After spending a day playing in the snow I decided that I needed a day on the river so we went out to the Aztec Wash area of Lake Mead to explore the trail system in that area. I have done some trails there in the past like exploring the old mining camp in Eldorado Canyon and a trail that leads to the water of the most popular cliff diving area of the lake however I have never explored any of the other trails and though it would be a great way to spend the day with the boys.

eC6lTqW.jpg

We started our adventure in the town of Nelson and the Copper Cache trail head and continued down the Aztec Wash Road all the way to the eriver's

TzBtnt9.jpg

We soon reached the end of the line at the Aztec Cove.

BozOucQ.jpg

Boys got out and ran around to play in the water and climb up every rock they could see.

Nu6hC3K.jpg

Next trail we explored was marked with a ribboned shovel, we had to explore it.

kriynh9.jpg

Looks like an entrance to a private mining operation.

51Hv4Nj.jpg

More welcoming desert signage.

zOEJOQB.jpg

Just in case the first two warnings were not enough, be aware of the quick sand, we turned around and returned to the main trail.

p8ik5EQ.jpg

Next trail was the Fire Mountain Trail which was by far the most enjoyable trail of the day and also the most pleasant trail in the entire Lake Mead NRA. THe trail started off as a washboard but quickly found it's way up to a spine of a finger that ran all the way to the water with spectacular views.

WT988tE.jpg

The end of the trail had two options: main overlook where you had a 100yrad walk to the water and Fire Mountain Point Rd which took you within 10ft of water access, both options had clear water and spectacular views.

maNvsxc.jpg

Ferocactus, a type of barrel cactus.

3JZCX6U.jpg

Opuntia basilaris, the beavertail cactus or beavertail pricklypear cactus.

CEddDWl.jpg

Cylindropuntia also known as Cholla cactus.

T26Afuj.jpg

I think this is buckhorn cholla cactus but not sure. Many different varieties of cacti growing in the same area.

MA7tmAL.jpg

We continued to explore several more coves and trails in the area however Montana Wash Rd and cove was my favorite.

Mg8zg88.jpg

This was the biggest cove of the day, with the most gradual incline of the water, however the boys were too tired from exploring all the other areas and fell asleep.

l34F0If.jpg

There are signs for no overnight camping and this would make a perfect day trip getaway with the camper in the hot summer months.

1MtfpBE.jpg

Crystal clear water provided endless visibility all the way out to the end of the cove which is different from the upper portions of the river as well as Lake Mead itself.

Great day overall, exploring a new area of the lake I have never been to before, found several excellent coves to come back to and enjoy during the hot summer months. I shot a couple videos of the trails and will get them edited and uploaded soon.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Aztec Wash and other trails

These are my favorite videos from exploring the trails around Aztec wash.

Aztec Wash Rd

Fire Mountain Rd is my all time favorite trail in the Lake Mead area. towards the end the trail the road winds through an open area tht park service decided to fence in on both sides so that there is only barely enough room for one vehicle to get through, this fenced in section runs approximately 1/2 mile all the way to the camping area, overlook and waters edge.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks for the posting of your trips! Your really motivating me to get my old bronco out there.

Cheepsk8,

You are most welcome. I broke a couple parts in the process but proved so many people wrong with this budget build. Hopefully I inspired someone to get up and go explore with what they have instead of perpetually building an ideal rig that looks great at SEMA but never leaves the driveway. Many more trips ahead this summer.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
DAY TRIP: Death Valley Deadman Pass Lost Section and Owl Spring

This beautiful spring weather is a fantastic reason to get out and explore parts of Death Valley which would be too dangerous with toddlers in the summer months.

This trip we headed out to the remaining areas of the park that are known to be the most lonely that is remote and hardly ever frequented. Deadman Pass and Lost Section Rd, then we headed south to Little Dumont, up Harry Wade Rd to Owl Hole Spring Camp, Black Magic Mine and the remote abandoned military radio tower/repeater at the end of Owl Hole Spring Rd.

334 miles covered with 171 miles off pavement.

SV8vg89.jpg

Finding the trailhead was easier said than done, there is a network of criss crossing streets at the former townsite of Greenwater Canyon where the clearings that used to be streets are now blending into the desert landscape.

0JYkm2U.jpg

Boys are checking out the USGS marker at the top of the pass. Driving up the pass was smooth and fast 35-40mph with occasional slow downs for ruts.

KVznsPT.jpg

Deadman Pass USGS marker, very smooth and gradual pass, not quite as exciting as it sounds.

We made it to Furnace Creek Wash Rd, turned north and then west onto Lost Section Rd. This is the water tank and trough at the beginning.

ZTVhNcM.jpg

Second half of the road consisted of miles of dips that had to be navigated at 5mph, was a fun drive once in a while but not enjoyable.

krPhKlp.jpg

Inside the toppled water tank.

ImuGoTR.jpg

End of the line for the main drag of Lost Section Rd.

hYGT9cb.jpg

Looking the other direction from Willow Spring.

1G7Xguk.jpg

Just past the rocks at the end of the road there are remnants of a mining operation.

MItU88b.jpg

More mining equipment debris.

oVOBXDK.jpg

Man made wall and a flat area with steps which was likely to have been the foundation of a house in the area.

pmmm0Ae.jpg

Loos rocks that fell off due to erosion were reconstructed into a fire pit by visitors. Very pleasant area with wind protection, shade and seclusion.

2TLsCts.jpg

Desert road sign, we turned around and headed back to Furnace Creek Wash and explored a spur trail that reconnects. It lead to a mine and had a killer narrow cutout climb up and then back down a 4ft high waterfall that only left 1-3" on either side of the Sub. I didn't take any pictures but will let others explore that little gem on their own.

QXn4k85.jpg

Harry Wade Exit memorial plaque. This was by far the easiest route of any of the other 49ers.

RwPS9jQ.jpg

We headed north on Harry Wade Rd to the intersection of Owl Hole Spring Rd where we turned west and headed to one of the least frequently visited spots in the park.

GImqFxW.jpg

Owl Hole Spring Camp, this was the home base for New Deal Mine just up the road and Black Magic Mine 3 miles up the road.

um0tpah.jpg

Upper Spring pool.

tIkpO4S.jpg

Both the pools. At one point BLM created a burro coral around the pools to trap the burro that have been overpopulated in the area and transplant them elsewhere but there are no remains of the coral left on site.

1DaXfL0.jpg

View looking down at the Spring.

mWI1IL2.jpg

Burros leaving the Owl Hole Spring as we arrived.

wy2EuyS.jpg

Unknown structure.

BCrvJ5t.jpg

Boys wasted no time getting dirty and exploring.

Yu3nQ6e.jpg

Structure at the top of the spring.

mp89Azx.jpg

Building foundation.

rIRGSpY.jpg

Vintage Coors can.

osWelUc.jpg

I always see cans and cans laying around every mining operation and always was intrigued by why they are scattered around and were not thrown away or recycled. PENZOIL SAE 10 on this can and there were numerous SAE 80 cans. Oil cans are dirty and they were thrown away so they do not contaminate other food grade cans which are much easier to clean.

We did not explore New Deal Mine because the boys were getting tired and I did not particularly want to hike in the desert by myself with two toddlers, next time I am in the area I will make it out with them to the mine and abandoned excavator.

Adventure continues in part two with Black Magic mine, Microwave Rd and the end of Owl Hole Spring Rd.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
DAY TRIP: Death Valley Black Magic Mine and Owl Head Spring Rd

Continued from the last post.

After exploring Owl Spring Camp we took a quick trip up the New Deal Mine Rd. We did not stop at the New Deal Mine but rather continued to the way more exciting and easily accessible Black Magic Mine.

IWcyAyI.jpg

First signs of the mining operation is this ore processing area with several piles of ore scattered in the area. Black Magic Manganese Mine produced Iron, Aluminum, Phosporus and Managanese and had ore mined from three distinct bodies: fissure vein, shear zone and breccia fill.

untME9y.jpg

Continuing up the trail we came to the ore bucket.

EHoOZn6.jpg

Top of the ore bucket.

mgkRfkF.jpg

Looking down the ore bucket.

kH5iT6A.jpg

At one of the claim sites.

mfSgAx8.jpg

This used to be a vertical shaft at one point.

EsPb2gi.jpg

Collapsed shaft.

tPG5lat.jpg

Abandoned mining truck cab. circa 1941 GMC CCKW “Deuce-and-a-Half” big shout out to AlexCold and nitro_rat for identifying it.

Y7YFeVs.jpg

Looks like the road upto the mine was once very well maintained so that this vehicle can make it up this far.

uw17K61.jpg

Sad face of a once beautiful Hudson Hornet, big shout out to nitro_rat for identifying it.

lGRv1T0.jpg

Dodge Power Wagon far down in the gully. Once again a big shout out to nitro_rat for identifying it.

gM8usty.jpg

We continued to explore the mine roads.

2RjBWIw.jpg

This landscape of the Iron and Manganese ore is very alien and lifeless. Others have used this area for camping with the fire ring right behind the truck and a very well protected area with breathtaking views.

9mSoagu.jpg

End of the line at the top of the furthest in mine road.

novLJ3e.jpg

Feels like we are on Mars.

6DJ6dgX.jpg

Breathtaking views of Armagosa River valley.

CnY0oKt.jpg

Red rock landscape is surreal.

TuKH0Zb.jpg

Watched a couple jets buzz us then drop something onto the Leech Dry Lake Bed.

We left Black Magic mine and continued on old Microwave Rd now called Owl Hole Spring Rd to the dreaded dead end.

C2jLTIE.jpg

All of the sudden the signs make sense why everyone is advised to stay out.

jjrIQNw.jpg

Not only should the travelers be weary of the unexploded ordinances but lasers too.

McSRW0Z.jpg

Death valley sign after prolonged radiation and laser beam exposure.

Kv7QVj7.jpg

Old twisty roads sign near the end.

vYq8uTS.jpg

We made it to the top.

Ia8AN6G.jpg

Abandoned military radio tower/repeater.

nAJVqvC.jpg

Great spot on the top of the world where you can see Mt Whitney to the west and Mount Charleston (Las Vegas) to the east.

Pretty amazing trip covering many miles of seldom explored areas of Death Valley. The boys had a great time, saw many burros and explored several mines. The truck did very well and managed to get everywhere in 2wd with no issues. Airing down 37" tires to 15psi made the ride soft and plush even on the roughest sections, however I was careful driving 80+ miles home worried that the tire could unseat in a fast turn. 18-20psi seems to work the best all around for the Sub.

I shot several more videos and will be working on them in the next few days.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Continued from the last post.

After exploring Owl Spring Camp we took a quick trip up the New Deal Mine Rd. We did not stop at the New Deal Mine but rather continued to the way more exciting and easily accessible Black Magic Mine.

IWcyAyI.jpg

First signs of the mining operation is this ore processing area with several piles of ore scattered in the
Top of the ore bucket.

mgkRfkF.jpg

Looking down the ore bucket.

kH5iT6A.jpg

At one of the claim sites.

mfSgAx8.jpg

This used to be a vertical shaft at one point.

EsPb2gi.jpg

Collapsed shaft.

tPG5lat.jpg

Abandoned mining truck cab.

Y7YFeVs.jpg

Looks like the road upto the mine was once very well maintained so that this vehicle can make it up this far.

uw17K61.jpg

Sad face of a once beautiful car, if you know what this was let me know and I will update.

lGRv1T0.jpg

Another truck far down in the gully.

gM8usty.jpg

We continued to explore the mine roads.

2RjBWIw.jpg

This landscape of the Iron and Manganese ore is very alien and lifeless. Others have used this area for camping with the fire ring right behind the truck and a very well protected area with breathtaking views.

9mSoagu.jpg

End of the line at the top of the furthest in mine road.

novLJ3e.jpg

Feels like we are on Mars.

6DJ6dgX.jpg

Breathtaking views of Armagosa River valley.

CnY0oKt.jpg

Red rock landscape is surreal.

TuKH0Zb.jpg

Watched a couple jets buzz us then drop something onto the Leech Dry Lake Bed.

We left Black Magic mine and continued on old Microwave Rd now called Owl Hole Spring Rd to the dreaded dead end.

C2jLTIE.jpg

All of the sudden the signs make sense why everyone is advised to stay out.

jjrIQNw.jpg

Not only should the travelers be weary of the unexploded ordinances but lasers too.

McSRW0Z.jpg

Death valley sign after prolonged radiation and laser beam exposure.

Kv7QVj7.jpg

Old twisty roads sign near the end.

vYq8uTS.jpg

We made it to the top.

Ia8AN6G.jpg

Abandoned military radio tower/repeater.

nAJVqvC.jpg

Great spot on the top of the world where you can see Mt Whitney to the west and Mount Charleston (Las Vegas) to the east.

Pretty amazing trip covering many miles of seldom explored areas of Death Valley. The boys had a great time, saw many burros and explored several mines. The truck did very well and managed to get everywhere in 2wd with no issues. Airing down 37" tires to 15psi made the ride soft and plush even on the roughest sections, however I was careful driving 80+ miles home worried that the tire could unseat in a fast turn. 18-20psi seems to work the best all around for the Sub.

I shot several more videos and will be working on them in the next few days.

I love the pics of the old trucks and cars abandoned in the desert Crazy. Makes me want to go out and rebuild them. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94