2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Test and tune over a couple obstacles

Went out to the local OHV area, found a couple obstacles to play around on.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Body lift heater core hose problems and solution

Two weeks after installing the body lift I did a 20mile 4x4 tail, 5 miles in low coolant light turned on. I pulled over (stopped right in the middle of the trail) popped the hood and noticed that one of the hoses connected to the front heater core is not attached. GM uses super amazing plastic quick connectors to attach the heater lines from the water pump to the heater core. Two T connectors and two quick disconnects. One of them broke. I removed the broken piece, released the hose fro the clamp to gain extra slack in the line, re-connected it bypassing the quick connector and finished the trail. Returned back into town, replaced the broken part and that was it 3-4 months ago.

Couple days ago, once again on a trail, low coolant light turns on, I can smell antifreeze. Little puzzled, I look for the cause.

cSQLlxQ.jpg

I outdid myself this time I snapped the connectors of both lines.

0BHdgvz.jpg

Another angle. Left, black connector, I snapped off the part of the T-connector itself, the quick release I broke and replaced months ago was still attached and undamaged. Right side, the white quick connector broke off just like the one couple months ago on the black side.

5fhXtgQ.jpg

Dorman black T-connector part 800-414CD, Dorman white T-connector part 800-413CD, black quick connect Dorman part number 800-403. White quick connector does not exist outside the GM dealer, Dorman 800-403 connector works. Playing with the parts even more both the white and black T-connectors are interchangeable on my truck. Black T-connector is 2mm longer than the white counter part, go figure.

a20170821_093949.jpg
I just happen to have a 1/2" piece of pipe laying in my spare parts bin, used it to connect the two hoses together to make it a closed loop system rendering the heat inoperable in this 102 degree heat.

After closing off the leak, I topped off the cooling system with 2galons of water and we continued our 4x4 adventure. I finished my planned adventure, even had a chance to shoot some videos of the Sub navigating obstacles at the local OHV park, video in an earlier post. The following day I decided to trouble shoot and fix the problem. The truck is 17 years old with 1/4 million miles, I do beat the crap out of it but two parts breaking in the same area this close together is not normal.

81geEtU.jpg

I removed the quick connector from the white T-connector by breaking the quick connector completely.

eFtKgv1.jpg

Black quick connector came off easily from the aluminum lines by squeezing the tabs/wings and pulling out.

tWO5mPf.jpg

Black T-connector completely removed. White T-connector is still attached. I believe in if it ain't broke don't fix it, if it still works then it ain't broke. None of that prophylactic part replacement, I can't afford to replace my entire truck.

lBwqKD3.jpg

Old broken T-connector and new connector.

IjMmOv2.jpg

Once the T-connector was replaced I routed heater hoses to try and figure out why they keep on braking. I aligned the hoses into the clamps with the white lines marking where they should sit.

FyBHIT6.jpg

This was my first look at how the hoses sat in relation to the connectors. ******, thats not right, no wonder they keep on snapping on me.

kh2tkIR.jpg

Much better angle. There is a 2-3" gap between the hoses and the T-piece connector. Even if I would have had the quick connectors attached to the hoses, there would still be a 1-2" gap. Apparently when I swapped out my buddies body lift into my truck I did not notice that the heater core hoses needed to be extended. Off-roading makes the motor wiggle so much that the tension on the 17 year old plastic parts causes them to break.

G5alAlT.jpg

New hoses cut to correct length and attached to the quick connectors which are attached to the T-connectors.

9SjKEqN.jpg

Another angle of the T-connectors with hoses attached.

Xq9smZp.jpg

Plenty of slack for spirited driving and off-roading without putting any extra strain on the plastic connectors.

hsxptmR.jpg

Both hoses sit very comfortably in the appropriate clamp groves.

pr8C0cQ.jpg

I had to cut the return hose (I'm guessing that its the return hose) and use a 5/8" heater hose coupler to run the new hose to the quick connects.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
well those heater connection Tees are certainly easier to work on when you break them clean off. The whole mess is detailed in my 'Vortec' topic. Best / easiest time to replace thsoe things is when the intake manifold is off.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ckup-Suburban-Yukon-etc?p=2041488#post2041488

intakeswab23.jpg

and on the clutch fan thing, I'm pretty sure GM made the change to electric fans in the second half of the GMT800 series, '03-'06. My '05 Tahoe is factory electric fans. I'd like very much to do a similar upgrade on my '02 Sub.

Is your front bumper bent out of alignment from tire interference issues, or did you hit something?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Is your front bumper bent out of alignment from tire interference issues, or did you hit something?

Rayra,

When I did the body lift I was in a hurry and might not have taken all of the parts off my friends truck and swap them onto mine. The front bumper was held in by 6 or 8 bolts, I only managed to attach it with 3 bolts and decided to finish it later, it never happened. When it cools down and I have some extra time I will actually level it so it looks cleaner.

Electric fans are awesome, they make a huge difference in overall drivability of the truck. I put 1,000 miles on it in LA and San Diego traffic couple weeks ago. AC was ICE COLD, and engine temp never came up above 190.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Exploring 4x4 roads and trails at Lake Mead

Lake Mead level has been dropping for almost a decade and new areas which used to be underwater are way above water and have been used as locals for great new lakeside camping spots. We explored Boxcar Cove and then ventured to West End Rd, Anniversary Mine, Ore Car Mine and Muddy Mountains Wilderness.

N0iGGlE.jpg

Boxcar Cove was a great example of how much water level has receded at the lake. We drove past the areas I used to dive and spearfish in as well as several beaches that used to only be accessible by boat. Currently editing a video of the new trails in Boxcar Cove to be uploaded in the next week or so.

ZvaXtSS.jpg

We drove up north towards Callville Bay and jumped onto West End road and took the Anniversary Mine Rd cut off.

GgAYJhQ.jpg

Anniversary Mine is an on-off active mine which closes the trail down to public when outside the park and on private land. Looks like the mine has not been in operation for a while and all the gates were open.

tGecMdB.jpg

Some abandoned structures. This area is where the fuel and diesel tanks for the mining operation used to be.

to5GHUI.jpg

Exploring the canyon below near the mine shaft.

rIh7Ecs.jpg

Pretty cool terrain to venture into in 2wd.

tsi8B69.jpg

Another shot of the truck at the bottom of the canyon.

KHsuMv9.jpg

Nevada Gem and Mineral Society has numerous sites around the state where the public can go to abandoned mines and extract gem stones with hand tools for personal use.

gGPVH18.jpg

On the way out from the trail I noticed a new area I have never seen before, we drove the trail all the way to the end and found a fun slot canyon 3-4miles in.

fcCRsY5.jpg

End of the line for the truck.

DJ1Qs8C.jpg

I have done many canyoneering trips however a Suburban is a little too big for slot canyons.

K6hcWcZ.jpg

End of the trail, start of the 150ft long mini slot canyon.

kyHc3nr.jpg

My kiddo and father in law exploring a slot canyon.

Great day at Lake Mead, had a chance to visit new areas I have never been in before and explore newly surfaced areas which I have explored underwater in the past. Had some video camera issues and working on the videos right now.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Exploring 4x4 trails in La Madre Mountains Wilderness Area

Kids woke up this morning asking to go off-road. Didn't want to wander too far away from home so we ventured back into the La Madre Mountains Wilderness right in our back yard. We drove to Red Rock Canyon to explore the trails.

1tOJkgo.jpg

Beginning of the trails.

ZlLZ1iX.jpg

Pretty vista where the trail changes from red sand to rocky outcroppings.

iEcaziR.jpg

Fun trails are wide enough for two cars to get by and other areas are barely wide enough of the Sub to make it through.

2qO2l35.jpg

Took a wrong shortcut where the trail ended abruptly and had to turn around, this was the widest part of the trail, and it was way better than backing up 1/2 mile.

XG4tqVR.jpg

Best picture of the day. I drove across a 3ft wide 3ft deep washed out section of the trail and jumped out of the truck, optical illusion makes me look like a midget.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you are getting out of the heat, makes you wish we could get some of that rain from Texas. I was just thinking/wondering why they used plastic fittings instead of copper/aluminum, but it makes sense to have a quick-connect to prevent damage to the metal that usually occurs when folks remove the hoses via cutting and twisting.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Glad to see you are getting out of the heat, makes you wish we could get some of that rain from Texas. I was just thinking/wondering why they used plastic fittings instead of copper/aluminum, but it makes sense to have a quick-connect to prevent damage to the metal that usually occurs when folks remove the hoses via cutting and twisting.

Jeep-N-Montero,

We can definitely use some rain that Texas is getting. It was 114F at the lake and 83F at 7,000ft in the mountains. Summer needs to be over already.

GM is inconsistent with their connectors. I had clamps on my hoses with what looked like to be original quick releases. and Rayra had crimped on connectors from the factory, just weird. I am happy that they lasted 1/4 million miles in the southwest heat but if my fix needs repair again I will have to come up with a different solution that's more heavy duty.

20915351_10106248687312388_5000641672612977935_n.jpg

My hose attachments.

intakeswab23.jpg

Rayara's hose attachments.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure the plastic tees are all about speed and ease on the assembly line and nothing else. Same for the color choices, despite the connectors being dimensionally the same. 'white goes on the right'. Takes literally seconds to stab those on when the body is put on the chassis. How much time and trouble it is to mess wtih them later is of little concern to the designer / manufacturer. They're good for 100k+ mi, or until you look at them funny. Or in my case, bump it while changing knock sensors and intake manifold gaskets.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
CB radio install

Every time I go off road I rely on cell phones for communication. Sometimes I bring my FSR 2-way radios for areas where cell phones do not work, which is most of the trails I have been running this summer. As the kids get older and we venture into more remote terrain I was looking for a more practical solution short of getting a HAM radio license and running one in the truck. I have used CB radios in the pat on the road and off, and when properly set up was always able to reach out to someone in case of an emergency even in the most remote trails.

I found a Cobra 18 WX ST CB radio with a forward facing speaker that looked like it should fit into my existing cassette player slot. Have used firestik antennas inthe past with great results and easy tuning however stayed low budget and picked up a 36" Procomm antenna, mirror mount and 18ft coax cable to to run a no ground plane setup.

pI9WvTH.jpg

Old cassette player in factory location. Or iPhone holder as the younger generation refers to it.

iejyBLS.jpg

Cobra 18 WX ST CB radio.

ZvFfPKA.jpg

Tape deck removed and ready for some trimming.

QqrnDww.jpg

Ended taking out way more than I initially expected. I am thankful that the 17 year old plastic has become brittle in the desert heat and was easy to remove.

brOWhE2.jpg

Not the cleanest install I have done but for eyeballing the cuts in 104F heat with two toddlers running around in the garage not too bad.

NQGP1JR.jpg

Routed the coax cable across the dash, up the A-pillar and stuffed the extra above the head liner.

piar8te.jpg

Dremeled a notch in the door frame under the weather strip, routed the coax through it, a little tape to keep it from sticking out, closed the door and that was not good enough.

JS76VNm.jpg

Had to notch the upper weather strip and the metal rail onto which it attaches.

Uh7TFI9.jpg

Another angle of the notch.

2iz7mHR.jpg

Great clean route which does not interfere with door operation. Desert heat will work it's magic and mold the upper weather strip around the coax cable for a cleaner better fit.

BhGu7ry.jpg

Antenna mounted a the front of and inside the cargo basket so it's protected from the elements and does not interfere with the usable space of the basket.

DM4HuNY.jpg

All done. I might get another plastic cover and re-cut it to make a much cleaner fit but until then I have a fully functioning CB that has weather and with a forward facing speaker I do not have to add a remote speaker.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Playing on the 4x4 trails again

We ventured out to Rocky Gap Rd trail today. We had two missions: drag my buddies 2wd Frontier to the top and play around in my friend's 99 Tacoma and see what it can do. We accomplished both.

RWkhzB9.jpg

I picked the more tame lines through the 1-3 foot high boulders.

BmVAUAM.jpg

Found a flat spot on Rocky Gap Rd.

GhqELFR.jpg

Another flat spot.

h2m6wXf.jpg

We ended up doing the fun part in 200-300ft sections, I spot the Tacoma, then he spots me.

47P7w61.jpg

Tight and narrow section with a 4ft drop.

ZR0W0ok.jpg

I pulled the spare tire off because I have not raised it yet and did not want to snag it or puncture it on the sharp pointy rocks.

We shot a couple videos of the fun technical sections, I'll get them up soon.

Last edited:

bdp1978

Adventurer
Man, all the haters sure are getting quieter with every new trip you post about taking that burb on! Great thread!!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Man, all the haters sure are getting quieter with every new trip you post about taking that burb on! Great thread!!

bdp1978,

Thanx and you are absolutely right, however I do miss all the BS that went around from the arm chair philosophers in the early months of the build. I had a couple goals for a true overland vehicle as well as a budget and I am pretty darn close to the end of build so I can spend even more time adventuring.

Seat 6 people comfortably: CHECK
Tow 10,000#: CHECK
400+ mile range: CHECK
Safe comfortable vehicle for kids: CHECK
Daily driver: CHECK
Off-road capability of Jeep Rubicon: CHECK
Do something that everyone failed at: CHECK
Keep the truck looking stock: CHECK

After all the adventures I know that I want 4.10 gears just so I can use 4th gear on the highway, fender flares and routine maintenance.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: undercarriage views off road

Found a technical section of the trail where there are 1-2 foot deep tire ruts in the clay in an uphill turn. set up the camera and drove over it with the Sub and my friend's 99 Tacoma, note Sub is in 2wd hi and the supercharged Tacoma is in 4x4 low with the rear locked. He tried to go up in 2wd first but did not have the power and could not lock the rear locker in 2wd.

Stay tuned for more videos and shenanigans.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles