Question about Warn M1200 Winch

I recently acquired a Warn M1200 winch. It has no rotation arrow anywhere on it. I have no idea what is the correct rotation. Currently the steel rope is in need of replacing. The way the previous owner had it setup is the line comes off top of drum and motor is on right side when facing the winch. If I was to make a half wrap the cable would be on bottom playing out toward rear bumper. Yeah I could turn the winch around but then motor is on left side. That is backwards to me.
I am thinking it is wrapped backwards. I know the cable can come off top or bottom depending on which way you mount the winch.

Originally where was the rotation direction arrow mounted Which way was it pointed? I have searched and not found a picture of M1200 with arrow showing. Seen other but not this one.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I recently acquired a Warn M1200 winch. It has no rotation arrow anywhere on it. I have no idea what is the correct rotation. Currently the steel rope is in need of replacing. The way the previous owner had it setup is the line comes off top of drum and motor is on right side when facing the winch. If I was to make a half wrap the cable would be on bottom playing out toward rear bumper. Yeah I could turn the winch around but then motor is on left side. That is backwards to me.
I am thinking it is wrapped backwards. I know the cable can come off top or bottom depending on which way you mount the winch.

Originally where was the rotation direction arrow mounted Which way was it pointed? I have searched and not found a picture of M1200 with arrow showing. Seen other but not this one.

On an M12000, the clutch handle should be on the right (passenger's) side of the vehicle. Rope should come off the bottom of the drum.

M12000.jpg

You can find the M12000 user manual here: https://www.warn.com/truck/assets/pdf/63418_B7_LargeFrame_WinchOperatorsManual.pdf

- Andy

verdesardog

Explorer
I'm pretty sure power wagon winches were run backwards from standard warn winches, better make sure what you have!

Yes the Warn winches supplied to Chrysler were reverse rotation. I don't know all the particulars but I think there was maybe other changes in the clutch area. I know I am at least third owner so tracing down if it was originally on a Power Wagon would be impossible. Unless there is some way to visually identify it as supplied to Chrysler the most likely bet is that it is a standard Warn M1200.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Yeah, Power Wagon stuff is a whole other ball game. Those winches are actually a Chrysler part number and are made to their spec. We also do not support them directly as it's not simply an M12000. If it is a Power Wagon winch, the Dodge/Ram dealer has to provide support.

Andy

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
the Dodge/Ram dealer has to provide support.
Yeah, good luck with that. My local dealer (last time I asked) has never sold a PW and nobody there had ever seen one on the lot. When I needed a winch part, Warn was no help at all (because they don't support that winch even though it has a Warn label on it), and I found a dealer in the boonies three or four states away who had what I needed.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Yeah, good luck with that. My local dealer (last time I asked) has never sold a PW and nobody there had ever seen one on the lot. When I needed a winch part, Warn was no help at all (because they don't support that winch even though it has a Warn label on it), and I found a dealer in the boonies three or four states away who had what I needed.

Sorry to hear you had a problem with parts; I know that's never fun.

That winch is custom-built to their specs and such and we sell it to them. So calling us would be like calling DANA to get axle parts vs. going to the dealer. We are an OE supplier in this case.

Andy

-Andy

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I've got a much older M12000. Very similar looking in early pic posted to say where cable wraps.

Can I upgrade solenoid box?

Old picture to show entirety better, as its already mounted.

IMG_20160319_170252186.jpg

TwinStick

Explorer
Warn Industries,

When I go to my Dodge dealer for ANY part, let alone winch parts, & I say Power Wagon, they all look up like deer in the headlights. VERY FRUSTRATING. What about the winch solenoids, are they the same as the M15000/M12000 ? Part #'s ?

2008 Dodge Power Wagon.

TwinStick

Explorer
Warn Industries,

When I go to my Dodge dealer for ANY part, let alone winch parts, & I say Power Wagon, they all look up like deer in the headlights. VERY FRUSTRATING. What about the winch solenoids, are they the same as the M15000/M12000 ? Part #'s ?

2008 Dodge Power Wagon.

??????????????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles