For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I think Scott pretty much nailed.

Want it, bring it. Don't, leave it.

Obey the law.

And I would agree that "fine people enjoying nature" is just a perception because you just don't know.

I had a "nice guy" but known crack head show up on my door step early one morning with some bull story about why he needed money. And he wasn't alone. Nothing came of it but I was ready.

Went for a walk back through the woods via dirt road headed for a favorite fishing hole only to surprise 3 glue sniffers having a party. One couldn't rouse himself out of the puddle he was camped out in, the other two tried babbling some version of English to show how not high as a kite they were.

People like that, their disposition can go from harmless babbler to raging lunatic in nothing flat and I'd rather not rely on me being the baddest dude in the group.

rruff

Explorer
I can think of 50 things more likely to be my demise in the backcountry that get priority over shooting my way out of a confrontation.

I don't carry a gun. I did in the beginning of my 13 year vagabonding adventure. A .357 magnum loaded and usually close at hand.

What I realized fairly quickly was that if anyone approached me with ill intent, they would already be armed and ready for a confrontation. The only way I could get the drop on them was if I was constantly alert and greeted everyone I saw with a loaded gun in my hand. I didn't want to live that way, and the more time I spent in the wilderness, the more absurd it seemed. I regularly wandered alone many miles from any humans and hours from the nearest hospital, and if I'd gone missing no one would have even wondered about me for months. Were other people really a significant danger in comparison?

I decided I'd rather go the whole way and be completely vulnerable and defenseless. I'm definitely not a ************. I totally understand the comfort of having a weapon "just in case" especially when you have a family along. But we do not operate in a vacuum. If an aggressive person has any aggression reflected back to them, the situation naturally escalates. Is that what you really want, even if you have superior firepower?

Most people you see in the wilderness are happy nature lovers. Predators will tend to stick to areas where prey are easy to find. But not all. Watch that Son of Sam movie if you want to get paranoid!

I've encountered a couple people in the wilderness who seemed potentially threatening. More in town actually, when I was parking in poor neighborhoods. I greet them like a friend, just like everyone else I meet. In every case an initially aggressive and agitated person softens and mellows. I think it's a natural law, but one we don't often hear about. Oddly, I didn't have to fake a lack of fear, because I really wasn't afraid. It's a nice feeling. Someday if being friendly and fearless doesn't "work" then that will be an interesting day, but I don't think I'll be wishing I had a loaded gun in my hand either.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I almost always have my S&W Model 40 snubbie 5 round .38 on me when in the field, which almost no one ever sees or knows about.

Only time I've actually had to use it, was as a flash bang to run off a pack of wild dogs who just wouldn't listen. It's not an assault weapon by any means, but it's not nothing either, and it certainly speaks with authority (loud as hell). And the two foot flame it spits is impressive at night.

If there's a chance of rabbits, squirrels, snakes or plinking, I'll usually also have a .22 pistol in a flap holster. Often loaded with snake shot. I like the desert, and the older grouchier snakes can occasionally decide to assert themselves. Dragging my feet and stomping around usually warns them off, but they don't always take the hint.

Usually have a pump shotgun in the truck as well. Mostly for those weird late night wakeups that seem to happen to everyone sooner or later.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
With the world as crazy as it is what are the laws with guns while camping. Growing up in 70s and 80s in MO we used to camp on friends farms, campgounds or go to Arkansas and do Buffalo River canoe trips and not think twice about danger, great times.
It was not until later the whole "deliverance" got me thinking. We used to hunt all the time but stayed in the farm house and of course locked and loaded. Trying to get my wife to camp in the new build, not we would go anywhere to off the beaten path, but I would do what I needed to do to protect her if I had to.
So just wanted to see your thoughts on carrying while out in the wilderness.
Kevin

Umm. Alaska has had 7 serial killers claiming 57 victims* since the 1980s and BEARS. I don't leave the house. Wilderness is a scary place. *Source murderpedia

Last edited:

jschmidt

Adventurer
You carry a gun to make you feel safe. The liklihood that you'll ever need it to be safe is infinitesimal. But if it makes you feel safer, have at it. Just remember that almost all the strangers you meet will feel less safe around you, wonder why you feel so unsafe, and be less likely to become your friends. It's a tradeoff. The downside comes with the upside.

Mine is an XdM9. But I don't find much reason to carry it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Thanks guys all good input on the subject. I was thinking more of having one in the camper to feel safe at night similar to here at the house. Knowing I have it if needed. My camper will have a commercial deadbolt and lock latch on the inside. I wont have a pass through to the cab.
Kevin

Tazman

Adventurer
It's like my American Express Card, Don't Leave Home Without It. Unfortunately I have found need on multiple occasions. I am licensed in most states and well trained. Pistol on hip, shotgun and rifle in trailer. I find that an armed society is a polite society and when bad guys see you are not easy prey, they leave you alone. I don't encourage everyone to have my beliefs. But if you are going to be armed, get trained otherwise you will get hurt or hurt others. I refuse to ever be a victim again.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I hear ya Taz. Funny my buddy Taz and I grew up together he had AR 15s in 7th grade and we actually new how to modify them back then. He picked up a MAC early years in HS, we used to shoot all the time. Actually has some patents out there for ARs
Kevin

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
Like Tazman says get trained. I will add, if you are not mentally prepared to kill, and deal with the consequences, don't get one.

ol' scott

Adventurer
Not necessarily for "Overlanding" but certainly while traveling.

I have a bad habit of trying to help people and having a weapon makes me feel less guilty about partaking in said habit when my family is around. This summer while traveling through the Tate's Hell area of the Florida panhandle I was surprised by two rough looking men trying to flag us down. Extremely remote area, 11:30 at night, hadn't seen a car in 30 miles. I handed my wife my G19 and she put it in her lap. Because of this I felt safe enough to stop, find out they had a flat tire 2 miles down a dirt road. I drive 200 yards down the road, my wife gets into the back seat, then we drive one of the guys back to their truck (and his 7 year old daughter and wife) and the other 40 miles back to civilization. No way in heck I take this chance if I don't think I have a chance of defending myself. Situational awareness and gut instinct told me it was safe to slow down, the G19 and some faith in God allowed me to stop and help those men and their family.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Wow Scott not sure I would have put myself in that situation but good on you helping them out. You just never know..
Kevin

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You carry a gun to make you feel safe. The liklihood that you'll ever need it to be safe is infinitesimal. But if it makes you feel safer, have at it. Just remember that almost all the strangers you meet will feel less safe around you, wonder why you feel so unsafe, and be less likely to become your friends. It's a tradeoff. The downside comes with the upside.

I'm still trying to find the downside part of this statement.... :sombrero:

Strangers leaving me alone, wondering what kind of dangerous person I must be, not wanting to be my friend and ask me to do stuff for them.....sounds great!

I should start open carrying, I don't think enough people are seeing my gun. They still come up and bug me even when I'm wearing it. I know, drop leg holster! That's how I should pack it.

I can't even shop anymore, every time I stop to look at an item I got 3 people elbowing in to make sure they don't miss a deal....I should get paid to sell stuff just by looking at it.

Freaking panhandlers asking me for money. Yeah, I hear you've needed gas money all over town buddy.

Strangers asking me for a ride at the gas station. Umm, no, try Uber I hear it's the same thing....

It's not like I got hot chicks flocking to me and cool people asking to hang out now. Just annoying people wanting stuff or invading my personal space. So I'm not going to loose what I already don't have, and maybe I will loose what I don't like. Win win. :wings:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
You carry a gun to make you feel safe.

Nah. I carry a gun in the field in case I need, or want, to shoot something.

Being born a big mean bastard is what makes me feel safe. And I couldn't leave that at home even if I wanted to.

Just remember that almost all the strangers you meet will feel less safe around you,

I'm 6' 4". Nobody feels safe around me anyway. Especially on the dance floor.

wonder why you feel so unsafe,

Pshaw. Yea, right. Most I've met are more interested in the hand-tooled leather flap holster and who made it.

and be less likely to become your friends.

Fine with me. I've always been of the, "many acquaintances, few friends" school anyway.

zimm

Expedition Leader
With the world as crazy as it is....

the world isnt that crazy. its not crazy at all. its not perfect, but its not crazy.

im not telling you to carry or not to carry, but if you start with this as the foundation, you'll never carry for the right reason. youre like 99% of the people, carrying scared and to insecure to admit it.

training for combat efficacy is essential. training for self defense is over rated. the sheer quantity of rounds you need to put down range to reach any sort of expert level above what a couple classes can teach you, turns the gun into a full time hobby, and you dont need that to defend your person.

the other reality is, having a gun and knowing whats going to happen when you use it. I'm not not talking about the reality of killing a person, im talking about the fact you dont have the FOP at your back, and you better damn well be right. theft or being a dickhead isnt a capital offense.

i go to happy hour. i have a wine at dinner. i honk at the guy that cut me off. its a drop in the bucket for a good DA to make me the bad guy if i guess wrong. and if youre shooting first, to win, youre guessin'.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've been carrying a concealed handgun for over 30 years. It is a matter of person preference. If one does decide to exercise their civil right to do so should always be proficient and responsible. We see the world in in the way it is with good and bad.

People who choose not to exercise their civil right really don't have a right to criticize those who do. They have advocated that right for whatever reason.

Better to have and not need than need and not have. Some are sheep some are sheepdogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94