For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigSense

Adventurer
How good are the biscuits/shrimp and grits? I'll take that risk if its worth it.

Agree. But there are occasions where people conduct their attacks in NO-Gun Zones. According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, from the 1950's through July 10th of 2016, 98.4 percent of mass shootings have occurred on gun-free zones, with just 1.6 percent occurring where citizens are allowed to have firearms with them. Life is about choices.

Source: https://crimeresearch.org/2014/09/m...ty-on-guns-analysis-of-recent-mass-shootings/

The Wizard

Observer
FYI - In the third edition (1918) of "The Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway" in the section entitled "Don'ts for Tourists" it states "Don't carry loaded firearms in the car. Nothing of this kind is in the least necessary except for sport, anyhow.". I strongly disagree with this advice. If I was overlanding on the Lincoln Highway back in 1918 you can bet your sweet bippy I would be carrying a loaded firearm, especially west of the Mississippi River.

sologeek

Observer
FYI - In the third edition (1918) of "The Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway" in the section entitled "Don'ts for Tourists" it states "Don't carry loaded firearms in the car. Nothing of this kind is in the least necessary except for sport, anyhow.". I strongly disagree with this advice. If I was overlanding on the Lincoln Highway back in 1918 you can bet your sweet bippy I would be carrying a loaded firearm, especially west of the Mississippi River.

Well, said and I agree. There are several stories about robberies on the highway. I would like to find an old guide like you are referencing. I love that kind of history.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Quote: "Wouldn't it be great to hear from those who have taken firearms and other weapons into areas that prohibit them? I was hoping to hear about some of the different countries' laws, work-arounds, and how best to hide and carry weapons abroad. For the forum moderators, I'm not advocating breaking any laws as self defense is one of our inalienable rights that we cherish and choose to uphold. If you're reading this, you've probably already thought about this issue, and I'm sure most of you carry concealed and or have appropriate weapons in your vehicles. Maybe we should include in this thread or start a new one on the different ways that folks pack and carry their guns in their vehicles and campers?"

Oh God no. Please no. Other countries aren't messing around when it comes to bringing illegal firearms into their countries. Totally not worth it. Please don't try to outsmart border control folks by hiding weapons in your vehicle. They know the hiding places.

And I'm an NRA life member and really like my guns, but when traveling to other countries, I follow their rules (or don't go to those countries).

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
There is no way in hell I would be stupid enough to blab about my secret hiding places on the friggin' Internet.

Others can if they want.

brentbba

Explorer
There is no way on God's green earth I'd even remotely consider concealed carry into a foreign country without knowing and obeying THEIR laws. It may be a 2A inalienable right here in the USA, but it certainly is not in other countries and the absolute best thing we can do is abide by their laws when in their country. Being land locked to either Canada or Mexico, I wouldn't drive into either country with a handgun.

zimm

Expedition Leader
There is no way in hell I would be stupid enough to blab about my secret hiding places on the friggin' Internet.

Others can if they want.

most people cant take a 1911 in the cornhole, so dont worry about it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
We recently attended the Overland Expo East event in Asheville, NC. While we enjoyed the seminars and visiting the exhibitors, we were disappointed to hear that the event organizers consciously choose not to offer any "self-defense" or "self-protection" classes. We were told this by no less than four (4) instructors who previously submitted self-defense related course suggestions and class offerings and were denied. I have no reason to doubt these instructors' comments as they are very well-trained and respectable instructors that have taught classes at the Expo events over the past four to five years.

I completed the participant surveys after the events and did indeed make suggestions to offer these types of courses, but I'm curious as to why the organizers would purposefully not want any courses of this nature to be taught. According to the instructors and many of the event attendees we spoke with, we know for sure that the interest for self-defense courses is there.

I don't expect the European and international overlanding community to embrace our American spirit of self-reliance, independence, and our desire to protect ourselves in whatever way we see fit. I don't know the exact breakdown of the Expo attendees as far as country of origin, but to me it looked as though the majority of the attendees were US citizens. We met a few Danish, American, and English couples, much older, who are retired and have been and are still traveling the world. The topic of self-defense came up several times while waiting in drink and food lines and waiting for classes to start, and their attitude on self-defense is completely passive and they tended to look down at, shake their heads, and snicker with our idea of wanting to have and carry a firearm or other weapons for self defense. "Oh... you don't need a gun while traveling the world... how silly...". I've heard the same comments here in the States for years, and I still find this amusing considering the crazy events and weird-beard towel head muslim attacks that we hear about every few weeks, unfortunately.

You also have to look at the areas and length of time traveled by the "overlanding" attendees. I would posit that most vehicle-based extended campers attending the Overland Expo events travel in the mainland USA first for one to four weeks, and the next group travel longer periods to Canada, Alaska, and perhaps South and Central Americas. Two-year and continual around the world trips don't comprise the majority of "overlanders" and event attendees, so I will hope that in the future the event organizers will accept reality and let these types of classes be taught. I see political correctness and anti-gun sentiment creeping into the overlanding community, at least from the international and extended-trip multiple country types.

Wouldn't it be great to hear from those who have taken firearms and other weapons into areas that prohibit them? I was hoping to hear about some of the different countries' laws, work-arounds, and how best to hide and carry weapons abroad. For the forum moderators, I'm not advocating breaking any laws as self defense is one of our inalienable rights that we cherish and choose to uphold. If you're reading this, you've probably already thought about this issue, and I'm sure most of you carry concealed and or have appropriate weapons in your vehicles. Maybe we should include in this thread or start a new one on the different ways that folks pack and carry their guns in their vehicles and campers?

stop being so frightened. besides, if youre any good at self defense, you'd know a 2 hour course over a weekend get together, would do more harm than good. no point in leading someone on that they are now qualified to stand their ground after a 2 hour seminar. if you really need that, the best seminar would be learning to get the **** out of dodge.

now you live in the US, so where the hell are you going to go with your gun stashed, but yet readily available in a sudden emergency? canada??? please, go to mexico with a gun velcroed to the back of the second row seat, or up by the steering column. they wont look there!

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I wasn't talking about guns in particular. Just responding to the idea of, "Hey, let's talk about hiding places".

Doesn't matter what it is, it's a bit daft to post about secret hiding places on the net.

Right up there with posting Youtube vids talking about the crimes you're planning to commit.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I wasn't talking about guns in particular. Just responding to the idea of, "Hey, let's talk about hiding places".

Doesn't matter what it is, it's a bit daft to post about secret hiding places on the net.

Right up there with posting Youtube vids talking about the crimes you're planning to commit.

Or filling notebooks with rap lyrics highlighting the crimes you've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles