For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Reminds me of that Kurt Russell movie exactly. The guys ended up taking the wife and holding her for ransom. Heck kurt and his wife were in a jeep, the other guys were in a truck, in the same part of country you mentioned. They first met at a gas station I think.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Our families are life long shooting, hunting, camping and wilderness enthusiests. I as well as my wife are proficient with all of our personal weapons. That said, although I've never encountered any individuals over the past 40 plus years in the wilderness that gave me much in the way of 'pause'. Last May 2016 my wife and I were traveling through northern Utah heading toward Nevada, we had on a whim chosen to take the road less traveled. We found a spec of a town on the map and chose to head in that direction. It was a nice little place, that sort of 'out west small town' kind of vibe. People were friendly, we ate a little cafe. Just before we decided to leave, we stopped at the ONLY gas station in town. Two rugged looking guys in an old white pickup pulled up on the other side of the pump, their truck bed was filled with 'hunting/camping' gear, a couple of cross-bows were visible. A rifle hanging in the back window. One of the 'gentlemen' took a very long look at our expidition trailer, made a comment to his buddy about how handy that would be in the woods. The other 'gentleman' made a rather obnoxious comment about my wife. About that time, our tank full we decided to leave without returning comment. On our way out of town, they began to follow us, so we turned 6 or 7 times in an attempt to 'lose' them. When we thought they were off our 6, we headed toward Nevada, honestly a little above the speed limit. About 15 miles out of town, we see them agian on our 6, coming hard. This was a two way, zero turn road. We were driving a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, lifted for extreme off road, pulling an expidition trailer...we weren't going to out run anyone. There was no cell service, despite that we attempted to make a 911 call. We were almost 18 miles out when we decided to stop and face whatever these 'gentlemen' had in mind. We pulled fully off the road, turned slightly toward the oncoming vehicle, both of us were carrying, although until that point the pistols had been in lock boxes under the seats. As they approached they rapidly reduced their speed pulled off the road behind us, got out of their truck, save now there were 4 of them. We made it a point to make sure we weren't interested in conversation, that we weren't suffering from a broken down vehicle, that the best course of action for them would be to leave us alone. They chose the latter, amidst a hail of foul language and finger gestures. In the end, we had no real idea what they wanted, but there was a feeling, its one everyone is familiar with when a fight is brewing, we did everything in our power to avoid it and fortunately we did. That said, we always carry and I was extremely thankful for two things that afternoon in May, 1. we were carrying and ready and most importantly 2. we weren't forced to do anything.

Go outside, visit nature, enjoy the amazing grandure...be safe, be prepared have fun.
IZSM

Just curious which town was this in? Made me think of this video, be warned of excessive expletives being expressed by trashy people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDYcfycWVOk

Last edited:

Matt.H

Adventurer
Is New England not part of the United States? Does the Constitution not apply here? The precedent has been set, "constitutional carry" is an imaginary thing.

MOguy, I don't have the authority so it makes no difference.

N.H. eliminates license requirement to carry concealed gun, effective immediately

It’s now legal to carry a concealed loaded gun in New Hampshire without a license.

Republican Gov. Chris Sununu signed so-called “constitutional carry” into law Wednesday morning, his first signing since taking office in early January.

“It is common-sense legislation,” he said during a ceremony in the Executive Council chambers. “This is about making sure that our laws on our books are keeping people safe while remaining true to the live-free-or-die spirit.”

*1 New Hampshire is already an open carry state, meaning anyone who legally owns a gun can carry it exposed without any license or permit.

In the past, gun owners have had to apply for a conceal carry license with their local police chiefs, who determined whether applicants were “suitable.” The license came up for renewal every four years and was one of the only times gun owners in New Hampshire underwent a review process after initially purchasing a firearm.

Critics argued the process was too subjective because “suitability” could be interpreted differently by police chiefs. Others suggested the system was unfair.

*1 This is true. One aspect of the, now old, law was that you could open carry loaded but if you got into a vehicle or a suitcoat covered your pistol/revolver that was considered concealed and a Pistol and Revolver Permit was needed.

NOW, immediately, anyone that is not a PP, prohibited person, can carry open or concealed in or out of their vehicle and not worry about inadvertently obscuring their side arm from view.

New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine are now states in which a permit/license is not needed to carry a sidearm. [STRIKE=undefined]for self defense.[/STRIKE] :oops:
Matt

http://www.concordmonitor.com/sununu-signs-conceal-carry-bill-8252381

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
I kinda skimmed this thread so I dont know if this has been covered.

In Alaska, if you are a resident you dont need a permit to carry concealed. No matter where I go, even out of state, I consider everyone is armed. I dont carry daily but I can in my state.

On river floats, or if Im just camping I always have my river/trail rifle with me, Its an AK variant so its not ideal but I have 30 rounds at hand. I finally replaced my shotgun that was stolen 20 years ago, so floating or camping Ill be bringing that along as well. I also just got an AR variant in a 7.62 chamber, if I have my trailer on road trips or overlanding Ill have all three long arms, AK and Glock in the Jeep, and the other two in the trailer. If I just have the Jeep it would be the AK and Glock.

If I get to do my drive to the east coast next summer Ill ship what I cant bring through Canada to my self at my first stop state side and leave them with family before heading to NY and Boston.

Years ago there was a group of friends fishing on the Kasilof and got charged by a black bear. The guy with the 12 gauge didnt know if he had a round chambered so he just threw the gun at the bear. Another member of the group had a high capacity 10mil Glock and he dropped the bear, took every round to do it. When they pulled the 12 gauge out of the river they found it did have a round in the chamber.

Before I had my dog Ive had bears in camp and we got lucky. With my dog/s I havent had a bear in camp. Still I do not like going into bear areas unarmed.

Recently I dont like going into Anchorage unarmed so I have my Glock.

My river/trail gun.

20248413_735504413314558_7027339334086476147_o.jpg

My plinker.

20424158_740665369465129_5033533607870547384_o.jpg

Shotgun.

20543686_741544176043915_2456476692983436096_o.jpg

The new AR, Windham Weaponry in 7.62x39.

20451940_741544366043896_7811274760997229960_o.jpg

Glock 23 in the Jeep with standard and high cap magazine.

20616974_742351622629837_1767442725054925215_o.jpg

20545465_742351862629813_2499322887238708732_o.jpg

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
When legal, the handgun should be on your person.

If not... You have to run for your gun when needed.

I'm covered in all 50 states, but of course, not in foreign countries. Yet, they do allow (in some cases) firearms to be brought into their nation.

If possible, keep your handgun on your person. It's always available, without an unarmed retreat to your vehicle.

FWIW, Guy

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
BTW, I have a strong hatred for the AK.

For me it was always the enemy gun. And it killed a friend of mine. He was a U.S. Marine at the time, and a serious Christian. A far better man than I have ever been.

Good rifle, but... Pardon me if I don't like it. I'll shoot the AR-15 or other American type rifles.

Regards, Guy

Matt.H

Adventurer
BTW, I have a strong hatred for the AK.

For me it was always the enemy gun. And it killed a friend of mine. He was a U.S. Marine at the time, and a serious Christian. A far better man than I have ever been.

Good rifle, but... Pardon me if I don't like it. I'll shoot the AR-15 or other American type rifles.

Regards, Guy

So sorry for your loss.

Without starting a thread-war your friend was killed by someone. A rifle is inanimate. Anthropomorphic traits being applied to the pistols, rifles and magazines is why the anti-gunners are so successful. We need to stop doing it ourselves.

akpostal

Adventurer
I joined the USMC, didnt graduate boot due to injuries.

My SAR1s, Romanian AK47 variants, are 20 years old maybe older. Never had a fail to fire or a jam.

My Windham Weaponry SRC in a 7.62 chamber has a 1 in 4 jam or failure to fire and it is brand new, havent had it a week yet The WW is basically a Bushmaster AR, original owner, same factory, same tooling, and many of the original employees. I like the firearm, its light, comfortable and easy to shoot when it shoots. It can probably reach out farther then my SAR1s, just need to fix the jamming issue.

My best shot was 1200 yards, probably just luck and it was with a Bushmaster. I doubt an AK could pull that shot off, a Dragunov yes.

I bought my Glock for the same reason as I bought the AKs. Its reliable.

The AK platform is heavier and not as accurate or has the range, but it just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior