For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalko43

Explorer
I kinda skimmed this thread so I dont know if this has been covered.

In Alaska, if you are a resident you dont need a permit to carry concealed. No matter where I go, even out of state, I consider everyone is armed. I dont carry daily but I can in my state.

On river floats, or if Im just camping I always have my river/trail rifle with me, Its an AK variant so its not ideal but I have 30 rounds at hand. I finally replaced my shotgun that was stolen 20 years ago, so floating or camping Ill be bringing that along as well. I also just got an AR variant in a 7.62 chamber, if I have my trailer on road trips or overlanding Ill have all three long arms, AK and Glock in the Jeep, and the other two in the trailer. If I just have the Jeep it would be the AK and Glock.

If I get to do my drive to the east coast next summer Ill ship what I cant bring through Canada to my self at my first stop state side and leave them with family before heading to NY and Boston.

Years ago there was a group of friends fishing on the Kasilof and got charged by a black bear. The guy with the 12 gauge didnt know if he had a round chambered so he just threw the gun at the bear. Another member of the group had a high capacity 10mil Glock and he dropped the bear, took every round to do it. When they pulled the 12 gauge out of the river they found it did have a round in the chamber.

Before I had my dog Ive had bears in camp and we got lucky. With my dog/s I havent had a bear in camp. Still I do not like going into bear areas unarmed.

Recently I dont like going into Anchorage unarmed so I have my Glock.

Great selection of firearms there.

Is Anchorage really getting that bad?

akpostal

Adventurer
Great selection of firearms there.

Is Anchorage really getting that bad?

Last year January had at least one shooting every day, and I keep hearing news of shootings in Anchorage more and more. With the lack of a CCP required you need to consider everybody is armed.

TurboChris

Adventurer
I would not qualify the lack of a gun as unprepared.

If you found yourself in need of a firearm.....but had made the choice not to bring one.... then IMO yes, you would qualify as having been unprepared.

I don't keep insurance on my health, auto,home and possessions and a fire extinguishers in the garage because I'm expecting a accident, fire or a flood......I'm just trying to be prepared in case of such things.

MOguy

Explorer
If you found yourself in need of a firearm.....but had made the choice not to bring one.... then IMO yes, you would qualify as having been unprepared.

I don't keep insurance on my health, auto,home and possessions and a fire extinguishers in the garage because I'm expecting a accident, fire or a flood......I'm just trying to be prepared in case of such things.

If you are exploring in Utopia then I suppose you don't have to concern yourself about protection.

A couple years ago my area faced the worst outbreak of rabies we had in decades. Bad people aren't the only thing to worry about.

devero4

Adventurer
I recently purchased a Ruger LCP to go in the center console of my 4Runner. As stated above in Alaska, in Texas we also consider everyone to be armed. When I'm sleeping in the tent, it's right next to me. All other times it is safely secured in the console with a full mag and empty chamber.

ClayH

Adventurer
Carrying a gun unchambered is dangerous. Saw a video in a C store recently where the owner and his son were killed because he couldnt rack the gun fast enough.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
For our road trip the next 2 weeks the guns will stay home, but we will have our 2 dogs and plenty of bear mace just in case, taking I-80 across then north to Maine. Camping at KOA's along the way tend to be pretty safe, but the biggest worry will be deer and moose on the roads.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Mainly because I can not conceal it the way I dress. Now in winter it's concealed by my coat.
Its my belief (and is also a proven point in a lot of cases) that the presence of a gun will detour a thug. Its also a known fact that most thugs are cowards and want no conflict. A gun on my hip tells them 1 thing, they will be met with conflict if they rob the restaurant I am in. These cowards will go on down the road to a different target. And before you claim "I'm making myself the first target by displaying a gun". Thats BS. Cowards, remember? And these cowards mostely want to get some drug money, not murder someone.

Or they will shoot you first, then rob the restaurant.

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
While exploring the deserts over the last 25 years I have encountered some weird and creepy situations and people. I often camp alone and have had people visit my campsite late at night under suspicious circumstances. I always carry a ready AR or AK variant in a locking rack in my Jeep and always carry a loaded Glock within reach if not on me.

Call me whatever you will, I am going home at the end of my trips and it's up to the assailant if he is too, or not. It's the other Golden Rule: better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles