For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Artisan

Adventurer
With the world as crazy as it is what are the laws with guns while camping. Growing up in 70s and 80s in MO we used to camp on friends farms, campgounds or go to Arkansas and do Buffalo River canoe trips and not think twice about danger, great times.
It was not until later the whole "deliverance" got me thinking. We used to hunt all the time but stayed in the farm house and of course locked and loaded. Trying to get my wife to camp in the new build, not we would go anywhere to off the beaten path, but I would do what I needed to do to protect her if I had to.
So just wanted to see your thoughts on carrying while out in the wilderness.
Kevin

Last edited:

goin camping

Explorer
My travels are all in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts. Always have a pistol and sometimes take a rifle if I plan on plinking.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This is a popular topic, if not a little prone to swirl the drain in short order. Without infringing on anyone's opinions, trying to sway an argument one way or another, and respecting all inputs, I'll only offer my experience.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'll get treated like Waren Baetty, but in my 45 years I have never carried a gun into the woods, not even when I lived in super heavy bear country when I lived in Alaska. Because I live in the West, I may also be lucky to only frequent places where few nefarious people congregate. Most, okay....ALL...of the people I have encountered in the wilderness over 40 years, have more often than not been super nice people of like mind, just out enjoying nature. And I spend as many as 40-50 nights in the wilderness some years.

I can think of 50 things more likely to be my demise in the backcountry that get priority over shooting my way out of a confrontation.

Again - only my opinion.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I respect all opinions and the following are mine. I have very strong beliefs. Nothing here is meant to offend anyone or cause any unhappiness.
I think having a gun available if it is really needed is very important. In the USA your chances of needing a gun for defense are slim but still possible. Unless you are a police officer you probably do not encounter the need to go face to face with dangerous people very often. Then there is the random encounters. At home in any neighborhood in America a person can run from the cops. He may go into your neighborhood. He may run down the side yard of your house or jump the fence into your yard. He may then try a door to see if he can come in to hide or take a hostage. If this happens you may want to be able to defend yourself. Now in the "wild" such as off-roading or hiking the same thing could happen, meaning you could randomly encounter a person who is hostile for a variety of reasons. Drugs, alcohol, mental issues etc... It is very common in the desert South-West to have a large percentage of meth users or meth makers in rural areas. Could you drive by them or unknowingly camp near them? Yes that could happen. So maybe the strong ability to defend yourself is a good thing. I think another part of the discussion is what do you have to do different to have a gun on you or close by while on an offroad trip? Will it change the experience, weigh you down, cause you to pack more gear, need to install heavy duty suspension? No, none of those things. If you get dressed and put on a typical, medium sized handgun like a Glock 19, mid size 9mm and put a shirt over it then no one will ever know and your experience and the experience of all of your fellow travelers will be exactly the same. The difference is now you could employ an extremely high level of force for self protection if needed. If you don't bring a gun then you are left to find some kind of self defense solution. This will be based on your physical ability, training, circumstances, ease of access to weapons or tools used for this purpose. A gun gives the average person the ability to protect themselves from a superior attacker with very little effort or training. (that last statements assumes you have a cool, calm demeanor and reasonable, minimum weapon handling ability for this.) And finally I would comment on part of a statement from above: "Because I live in the West, I may also be lucky to only frequent places where few nefarious people congregate." I think that there are bad people everywhere. It varies how bad they are and how often they do bad things. Those of us who are never intentionally bad or looking to victimize others may see most people as a similar reflection of ourselves and therefor think we are all pretty ok. To that I would say that people who do bad thing like abuse kids or beat there wives or even rob banks "look normal" when not doing horrible things. So we cannot walk by a crowd of people and just because we were not assaulted or victimized think, "that was a fine group of citizens and none of them would do me harm..." I think that much of what happens in life is unpredictable. Sometimes life is wonderful and filled with amazing experience. Sometimes there are terrible hazards we face without notice. In my life I have had one person die while driving and two other co-workers require me to call paramedics and rush them to the hospital in the last 6 months. All of that was unexpected. If I could have taken some simple, convenient precaution to prevent what happen I absolutely have done it. That is why almost 100% of people have insurance, because you might need it and it will be too late if you don't when something happens. We must all do what we can live with whether it is self defense or knowing that we choose another way. I respect that. I will always try to help anyone in need. Good luck to all and be safe.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
We at times travel with a pistol, I consider it just another tool in my toolbox. You will never see me carrying it while on the trail or hanging around camp with friends though - its always securely out of sight. I dont feel the need to broadcast its presence.

Based on my experience I believe that any situation in which I may need it while four wheeling/camping, it will not be an imminent threat and I will have ample time to retrieve it if necessary.

The Artisan

Adventurer
All good points Off. I was lucky and learned how to handle guns at young age. From Pellets/BB guns at age 7 to full auto 20 guage for hunting at 12 along with deer rifles.
I don't have any high powered guns any longer but I keep a SW 22 M&P under the bed along with 2 modified tactical Ruger 1022s. They would be plenty enough if I had to defend myself or my wife.
I would not actually carry while hiking or away from camp but I would keep the SW along with few clips and box in the camper locked up and easily accessible thats for sure. Really just a peace of mind...
Kevin

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
We at times travel with a pistol, I consider it just another tool in my toolbox. You will never see me carrying it while on the trail or hanging around camp with friends though - its always securely out of sight. I dont feel the need to broadcast its presence.
Pretty much what I do.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This is starting to read like all of the other gun threads as of late. As for myself, I grew up with guns and used even bigger ones in the Army, these days though I typically leave the guns at home unless I am actually going hunting. We always camp with our 2 dogs who know what's going on around us better than we do, and most folks are easily deterred by just the sound of barking. We do however carry bear mace as a precaution.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
We always camp with our 2 dogs who know what's going on around us better than we do, and most folks are easily deterred by just the sound of barking. We do however carry bear mace as a precaution.
You do go prepared in your own way. Completely valid approach, too.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
"Now that said, I did trip across an illegal grow camp once."

That was from one of our travelers on ExPo talking about some of his travels...

Which leads me to this:

This is kind of a funny example for me in my life considering I have been to a few illegal marijuana grow sites in the local mountains. In one of them we found a gun so that was interesting. Not occupied which was good. I really appreciate that everyone on this thread is being cool and level headed. I think we have a lot of reasonable people in this particular "on-line community" and have good motives.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Don't like or feel the need to carry a gun- don't carry one
Like guns and feel the need to carry a gun- carry one

It is legal to own a gun in every state.

If you do carry a gun, get training on how to use it safely and effectively.

Maintain control of the firearm at all times to protect children from injury and to reduce the likelihood that it is stolen and used for a criminal act.

I carry a Walther PPS daily
I typically carry a carbine in the vehicle when in the backcountry
I get training on these weapon systems once or more times per year and shoot often to maintain proficiency. Gunsite is just up the road.

Do I 'need' to carry a gun, probably not. But that time when a drug-crazed man came to my door when we were living on my aunt and uncle's ranch (20 years ago), I was so, so, so thankful I had a gun on me. That has shaped my experience and perspective for the next two decades.

I was also active duty military and grew up with guns. I served in a contractor MP capacity on an Air Force auxiliary field. Guns have been a part of my life as a veteran, contractor, hunter, and recreational shooter. However, I also understand and respect some of the anti-gun argument as well.

When I travel internationally, I don't bring a gun and have no issue with it. Well, except for the last time I was in South Sudan. . .

evilfij

Explorer
I always have one (or two). I am much less concerned in the middle of no where than I am in the city. The biggest issue I see is that there are a lot of states which you cannot legally carry so it ends up being jumping through hoops to transport through those states. This is why I have always supported nationwide concealed carry. Hopefully that comes through with the new administration.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I can think of 50 things more likely to be my demise in the backcountry that get priority over shooting my way out of a confrontation.

I'll bet you carry all kinds of emergency supplies, recovery gear, rations, extra water, medical supplies, etc., etc. and you likely never use any of them either.

Maybe you remember the Boy Scout motto and great advice: "Be Prepared"

Scott Brady

Founder
I'll bet you carry all kinds of emergency supplies, recovery gear, rations, extra water, medical supplies, etc., etc. and you likely never use any of them either.

Maybe you remember the Boy Scout motto and great advice: "Be Prepared"

I know Christophe well, and he is an experienced backcountry traveler. Some people just don't want to carry a gun.

I would not qualify the lack of a gun as unprepared. There are way more places in the world where you cannot carry a gun then where you can.

I actually respect someone for deciding not to carry a gun- it is their choice. What I take major issue with is the vast majority of gun owners that do not get real training in the use of a deadly weapon. At the range 75% of those I see shooting are a danger to themselves and to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles