Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Callen campers back business?

Default Callen campers back business?

Apparently Callen's back to making steel framed camper shells.
    Good news indeed.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/5904453851.html
    2007 Dodge 2500 Regcab 4wd 5.9 CTD. G-56 , TC800 Northstar popup 24/7. Suspension mutt. Kore,Thuren & Carli. Anarchy EFI Live.

Damn I hope so. I just bought a used one for $350 down in Murrieta and I'll need parts!

I bought a radius sided one brand new for $500 for my '89 Chevy 3500.
    It was at Valley Campers in Escondido. The prior owner's wife couldn't see out the rear windows.
    I had a couple others also.
    Hopefully,with Jim's oversight the quality will come back.
    2007 Dodge 2500 Regcab 4wd 5.9 CTD. G-56 , TC800 Northstar popup 24/7. Suspension mutt. Kore,Thuren & Carli. Anarchy EFI Live.

Has anyone contacted Jim Callen yet? I am hoping to get them to freshen up my rear barn doors and install a ladder on my driver side one. Reading about their past customer service issues is making me nervous to be the guinea pig haha.
    2000 Tacoma 4WD TRD 219K 5VFZE, 5 speed, Old Man Emu Shocks + Dakar leafs w/ D43XL Add-A-Leaf , 235/85r16 BFG KO2' LRE, Badlands Bumper Bambi Basher, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Sleeping/ Drawer Platform, Callen Camper....

Build Thread:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-Callen-Camper

Nice write up on your truck and trips. In May of 1988 my friend and I drove the north road in his F-250. We got stuck in the mud flats and a Mexican guy with a Chevy 1/2 ton stepside and our snatchum strap boinged us out. That was a long day. El Rosario to Scorp with about an hour of daylight left.
    Our friends had been sitting in the dirt for two weeks,zilch for surf. Back then there were only four camps with perfect tides and a 3-5ft swell breaking for 5-6 days.
    Anyway back to the present. I don't know of anyone who's contacted Callen but the Craigslist indicates Jim will answer. I'm sure they can accomplish a tune up on your camper.
    Keep surfing!
    PS. I think those racks are as heavy as the campers.

Default It's a miracle!

Whoa! That's amazing!!

Happy to hear Callen campers will be back in production- I love mine! Picked it up second hand a few years ago, have used it from Death Valley to end of Baja with lots of shorter trips in between. Get a lot of questions and compliments from people who like the look.

There are plenty of the old styles around here- they last forever. Good to know some fresh models will be appearing soon.

Here are some action shots:
    IMG_7528.jpg

IMG_7523.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe I've spotted your truck in Clairemont.
    That's a nice rig.

For those interested in a Callen camper- here's another listing from CL in San Diego:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/5937664993.html

Yes, that's probably me- I live near the post office.

There are a lot of older Callens in this neighborhood. I fit right in!

Quote Originally Posted by Regcabguy View Post
    I believe I've spotted your truck in Clairemont.
    That's a nice rig.

Update re:timelines for Callen builds, from a friend of the Callen family:

"I talked to Jimmy Callen this morning and he says he is building shells again. He's doing it at his house in Lakeside. He is going to take orders and build campers between October and April but after April he goes to his place in Colorado and goes hunting. He's thinking he will just do 2 or so a month."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast