1976 Land Rover Series III 109 build "Montoya"

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
So the egt tried real hard to be tough, but it failed. Originally, I was going to drill the boss on the front of the exhaust manifold, but that proved difficult. The egr block off plate is the obvious spot, but you have to weld the probe bung in at an angle and the probe is too short to get into the exhaust flow. As I was scratching my head, I realized I could weld the bung on the inside of the plate and the extra 1/2" would get the probe in the flow!

I had to sacrifice my 1/8" npt tap by cutting 1/4" off the end once I got the threads started for the boost connection in order to fully tap the shallow hole I drilled in the plug. It made a perfect plug to protect the threads and use as a handle to get the angle right while welding the bung on the inside of the plate.

IMG_0848.jpg

I tacked a trial position, tested it in the manifold, made a slight adjustment, and welded it in.

IMG_0849.jpg

A perfect fit!

IMG_0850.jpg

Oh, and Ronin is now mad at me for taking another friend to the Spurs game last night. I'm more concerned about the throb of my head from one too many single malts on the front porch after the game. The price we pay for good friends.

Exciting crap coming up next weekend, so stand by!

blauvelt

Observer
All is amiss it seems, there have been no updates as of late! This build thread is almost the highlight of my day! A bottle of wine at the end of the day would actually be the highlight...

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
I would be happy to entertain you with tails of bravado over a brewed or vinted product of your choice.

For now, I'll share my tail of woe. Two weeks ago I announced my retirement and since have been working like a dog!

Undaunted, I showed the powers that be and bought another might steed. A 1988 Defender (LR 90). Unfortunately, when considering my act of defiance, I forgot to coordinate with the cfo and she is now understandably depressed at the thought of a negative balance sheet offset by an overflowing garage and a predictable cash flow now reduced to reserves. Ah well, you're never really living unless it's on the edge of destruction.

So, my temporary working requirements have stalled my commitments to Montoya and this board. The wife started to forgive me and I was having none of it. A couple of eBay "buy it now's" and a large PayPal purchase with Rovers North and I'm back in the zone!

Most of the electrical work is complete, so I'm cleaning up little details like new brake lines (what kind of bastage uses 7/16 fine bubble flares when the replacement lines have 3/8 fine bubble flare fittings? Even Dorman doesn't make an adapter!). So nothing big to share until mid-May when the big bad financial services Gods and I part ways, but maintain our loving relationship.

Here's the noob:

IMG_0857.jpg

blauvelt

Observer
Mine goes into the shop (was supposed to happen Thursday, but that seems to have been delayed until next week now...shops) for a new clutch and a few minor touches prior to shipment out to the great state of Texas. Hopefully I will be Rovering around by June! Thoughts on a particular vinious liquid? A particular AVA? maybe you are more fond of a touch of terrior? Been digging through the escarpment that is Chablis as of late, with a general view into the Bourgogne. Lived in Napa for years, so I do keep a selection of things that I enjoy, though it has been displaced thanks to more worldly travels.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
The gods be damned!

The CFO literally HATES the new beastie. I mean despises it, can't stand its presence, sneers at it with distain, farts in its general direction. She loathes it even more than she does Ronin and she has no use for him. So, I have a cunning plan.

I park it at the top of the driveway. Every few days I'm going to tart it up a bit. Next weekend - new shoes. Then a bumper, a new grill, some doodads, a whatsit, a couple thingamajigs..you get the gist. She had the nerve to say, "it looks like some boy's car." That's a man's truck, baby!

I'm in NYC this week, but when I get back whoopass is coming. And then when she thinks I'm done, I'm dropping an LS engine and 6 speed in it just cause I can. I'll be back on the Series III finishing it up soon, but no foul goes unchallenged in my house. She is toast!

I'm so glad she doesn't read this forum.

I meant every word I said above. Stand by.

Last edited:

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Mine goes into the shop (was supposed to happen Thursday, but that seems to have been delayed until next week now...shops) for a new clutch and a few minor touches prior to shipment out to the great state of Texas. Hopefully I will be Rovering around by June! Thoughts on a particular vinious liquid? A particular AVA? maybe you are more fond of a touch of terrior? Been digging through the escarpment that is Chablis as of late, with a general view into the Bourgogne. Lived in Napa for years, so I do keep a selection of things that I enjoy, though it has been displaced thanks to more worldly travels.

I'm in on all, err, any fermented beverage. I've even enjoyed a Unicum Zwack here or there (not for the feint of heart). Bring on your mightiest. We'll make a day of it. Very familiar with Napa. Used to run HR for Diageo. Lived in London, partied at Chateau Mignon in the south of France. The wife will banish us to the garage, but throw me in that briar patch. Good luck with the Series, changing the clutch is easy...once you get the engine out! That's a *****...

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Well, had to take a break on Montoya and do a little work on Vizzini. He is an urban Sicilian and will see only tenderfoot rated trails, so a slightly different approach is required. If you are a purist, turn away now. You have been warned.

Vizzini is a 1988 90 with the old pre-TDI 19J turbo diesel (yes, the oil sucker). Has new paint and a nice interior, but most importantly no rust. Unfortunately, it rode like a buckboard wagon. Springs and shocks gone. So, new shoes, 2" lower springs and a set of Bilsteins and off we go! I pulled the shocks and the bushings crumbled. Never seen that happen before. Once Montoya is finished, Vizzini will receive the crown jewel - LS3 with a 6L80 transmission.

So, let's run the tally - 2" lower, 18" wheels, non-Rover engine, egads! An abomination! But, it's my abomination and purpose built. This is an expedition forum, so I will document that build elsewhere. Just wanted you to know that I have not been slacking, just dabbling in the black art of tunerdom. Here's some pics anyway.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Last edited:

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Haven't started that thread yet, but will be on Defender source. I'll share when started, but the Vizzini profile is over there.

Back to Montoya. I retired last Friday. Took some terminal leave as my actual date is in a couple of months, but that means some needed time off. I've worked since I was 15, including 11 years in the Navy and I wasn't sure what to do with myself.

So, we went to New Orleans. Much debauchery ensued. The highlight was an R rated tour guided by Jeff. Due to a scheduling snafu, we waited for him in a small bar off Jackson Square and he didn't show up. The wifey called him, waking him up (it was 4:00 in the afternoon) and he apologized profusely, urged us to have another drink (easy), and said he would arrive in 15. By the time he showed we were three margaritas into the evening and given the afore mentioned snafu, were the only two on what was now a very intimate tour.

He started off by saying the tour would be a bit PG, to which my partner replied, "What? We're up for the R rated version."

"Well ******king A, then. Let's go."

This has real possibilities.

Over the next two hours, Jeff showed us areas we never would have seen on our own and regaled us with bawdy and tawdry tails of daring do, drunken misconduct, criminal politicians, and cathouse cunning. My kind of tour!

Interestingly, we didn't set foot on Bourbon Street (well, we crossed it once), but stayed in the French Quarter. We finished the tour at Irene's and had the best meal I have had in years. Even the wifey was impressed, and that is high praise given her culinary gifts. Highly recommended!

Finally, a couple rounds at the Carousel Bar and decades of work were washed away!

Here we are at the end of the evening. Even the camera wasn't working properly.

IMG_3368.JPG

I believe this qualifies as a proper expedition, even though we were on four foot drive and didn't really carry any of our own provisions, more relying on local sources for sustainment.

This week I'll finish up a few Vizzini changes and hopefully get him registered and then back to buttoning up Montoya.

Until then my friends, breathe deeply of family and fun.

blauvelt

Observer
Congratulations! Now go have fun and adventures for many many years to come!

One of the toasts from the Maritime Academy was may your travels have "Fair winds and following seas". There is, of course, the old English maritime toast of "To Wives and sweethearts, may they never meet."

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Drop by next time you're in town. We have lots to discuss and world peace to solve and I have all the time in the world!

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Great build thread. Having just picked up a 67 series 2a 109 I'm sure I will venture back to your experiences as help in mine. This being my first dealings with a vehicle such as this.

49328e6d7ec6313c546ba0aa8996f6e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShearPin

Adventurer
Enjoying your build thread and looking forward to updates. I am settling in for a long, cold winter here in Canada...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier