Snow Chains... what are you using?

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
chains.jpg I use a cut down set of triples from my old next door neighbors rig got a full set fronts and rears for when im going ice fishing but for a highway commute i have a set of light ones bought from Canadian tire. this is the set for the rears mounted on my spare as i check for the correct sizing as I had just cut them down :chef:

Clutch

<---Pass
You better be careful, you might get all the jackholes from CO moving there to escape the influx. Her employer's HQ is Boise and I'm lobbying for relocation. It's not as simple as all that since she's the only one doing what she does in the Ft. Collins office, so if the tables were reversed they'd be relocating her from Boise to here anyway.

You are right, Idaho is awful. Nothing but potatoes and sagebrush :D

anickode

Adventurer
I got a set of use d triples and cut them down as well... V-bar cross chains on 3 link spacing with cam locks. I rarely get to use them here in Michigan. They make the ride miserable on a 32" tire... Feels like driving sand paddles on the road, but you keep moving.

bigskypylot

Explorer
LOL, already ahead of you on that. I run Camburg UCA, 235/85R16 (32x9.5) on stock rims with 2.5" of lift so I can fit my fist between the upper arm and tire and around the wheel well. It's a little tighter than I'd like at full lock since I still have mud flaps (not stock, 1/4" rubber bolted on).

View attachment 378777

All of this was honestly because of trying to fit chains. I use them mainly for less maintained secondary roads when we go skiing. I usually chain up before parking and it's saved my bacon a few times when you come back to find your truck plowed in or a bunch of new snow a day or two later.

I bought my v-bar chains from here, http://www.glacierchain.com/
I can't recall the owner's name, but he was very nice and had great customer service. They are up in Alaska but have several distributors in the lower 48. Mine came out of Auburn, CA. Quick and cheap shipping to Bozeman. I am running a PRG extended travel kit with 285/75/16s at the moment and didn't have the clearance for the front but thinking about doing spacers front and back but doing the Titan Swap this year so I'm hoping that gives me the clearance I need for up front when using them on the FSRs when getting up to our hunting spots next year. Think next time, I may go to Pewag but they are quite a bit more spendy

bigskypylot

Explorer
You better be careful, you might get all the jackholes from CO moving there to escape the influx. Her employer's HQ is Boise and I'm lobbying for relocation. It's not as simple as all that since she's the only one doing what she does in the Ft. Collins office, so if the tables were reversed they'd be relocating her from Boise to here anyway.

As long as all the Jackholes from California stay away from Montana, I'm fine lol

booth9c1ss

KC1BSS
I use some made be Peerless. They have a automatic tensioning device the allows you to put the chains on without moving the truck. They use an aircraft cable on the inner side, and chains with two tensioners on the outside. The chains that contact the ground feature an H pattern so the resist side slipping as well. I have one set for my ZR2 with 31x10.5R15 BFG ATs, and two sets for my GMC Sierra with 265/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires. The latter also fits 265/70R17 and 32x11.5R15.

Keep in mind that I live in Maine. The last storm dropped 18"-22" for snow, and the municipal trucks had a hard time keeping up. I am a firefighter in my community and need to be able to travel in all conditions. These hit the mark.

These sell for about $80. I got mine at Cabelas and Tractor Supply.

Steve

Last edited:

booth9c1ss

KC1BSS
I would rather have the chains only on the rear for a few reasons.
  • the rear axle is stronger. My truck has an 8.6" ring gear in the rear, 7.2" in the weaker aluminum front.
  • similar to studded tires, chains in the back allows for safer stopping. If the front has more traction, then spinning is likely in a panic stop. Studded tires in the front only is illegal in maine for a reason.
  • there is less tire to fender clearance in the front.
  • when the chains are on, I can leave the truck in 2hi, allowing the front wheels roll freely for traction. I don't need the front wheels pulling until I'm in 6"+ of snow, plowing/pushing snow, or off road.
Steve

sargeek

Adventurer
Chains on all four corners is the best; however many modern 4x4 vehicles do not have the clearances on the front to support the use of tire chains. Chains on the rear are great when going up steep hills, the weight transfers to the rear increasing traction. Chains on the rear also helps keeps the rear of the vehicle from trying to pass the front end going up or down hill. For pure traction, for pulling or doing work, tire chains on the front are great when you only have one set. Most on road use, you would only need to chain the rear.

On my TJ - I generally chain all four, since the vehicle will accommodate them. On my old 06 Tacoma, or my 2015 GMC 1500 - I can only chain the rear.

Jason4

I don't have enough clearance for chains in the front but I run a set of Rud Olympia Sprint chains from Chainstop on my Ram 2500. I use the truck to get up logging roads in the winter with a couple of snowmobiles on a deck over the bed and have been really happy to have them for the few times that I've needed them.
http://chainstop.com/rud-olympia-sprint

Rockhounder

Explorer
Everyone vacationing up in Big Bear Ca seem to buy cables. Probably because they are cheaper. I can't tell you how many rescues/road clearances I have assisted in pulling vehicles off the right of way (blocking all traffic) because they got their cables wrapped around their axles, tearing out their brake lines, abs, etc....sucks for them, and it seems that modern vehicles seem to have less than 1/2 inch clearance between the innerr side of the tires and something vital..... modern vehicle engineering sucks, for those who really need a truly bulletproof work vehicle....

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
My $.02 cent,
Get yourself a good set of dedicated Blizzaks, never look back. I have W965's for my 1st gen Tundra, deep tread blocks and wicked siping. I carry a set of chains for the rear (just in case) but have never had to use them and we have had 300 inches of snowfall at my local mountain, Stevens pass, this year. I also have made fresh tracks wheeling in the snow in 12" of new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier