Unique 2005 F550 Expedition Camper - $68,000

AuntieM

Observer
$59,000 REDUCED PRICE

Here is an incredible opportunity to own a unique Expedition camper. My husband and I built this with the goal of traveling in South America for an extended period. However, after his recent passing, I am reassessing my ability to utilize and maintain this assume rig. Prior to his illness, we traveled throughout Mainland Mexico with no issues. It was great, no stops at checkpoints… they thought we were a work truck.
front_LI.jpg

The Cab and Chassis:

2005 F550 Single Cab dually 4WD
6.0 Turbo Diesel w/Bulletproof installed 12/2014
Stock Running Gear, Front - Dana Super 60, Rear Dana 110
Goodyear 225/70R195 G622 14 ply's
Rear View Camera with 7" Monitor
Condition: Mileage 135,849 mi.
1/2011 engine replaced with a Jasper Rebuilt # 937948
new Oil Cooler and EGR installed 1/2011
Approximately 22,000 miles on new engine
Rear Bumper with 2 spare Tires , hitch and wiring

Box and Equipment:

box: 15'L x 8'6" W x 6'7"H
4 Dual pane windows in rear, 2 are sliders
8 Exterior Storage Bays, ranging from small to one very Large
The stairs fold- up into a bay
An insulated Bay holds 4 - 5 Gallon propane Tanks

Solar and Electrical:

2 Kyocera 250W Solar Panels
2 Lifeline AGM GPL-4DL Batteries
Xantrex Freedom 2500W Inverter
Morningstar Solar Battery Charger
Coleman A/C
Fantastic Fan

Interior:

3 Burner Propane Stove
Stainless steel sink and In Counter trash bin
Side by side Novacool Fridge/Freezer
Atwood LP Gas on Demand Hot Water Heater
Propex HS2800 Heater
LED under cabinet lighting
JVC Stereo
Vizio Tv and Dvd player
Dinette converts to Queen Sized bed
Dinette table with Hydrolic lift
Numerous Cabinets all with Southco latches and several Drawers
Dinette with stove.jpg
Plumbing:

70 gallon fresh water tank
2 Grey water tanks
3M Whole Vehicle Water Filtration System
Thetford C200 Cassette Toilet
Oxygenics Shower

This unit was built for BJ Oilfield Services as a mobile environmental test lab. BJ Services, now part of Baker Hughes, is a world leader in environmental services to the petroleum industry. The truck was delivered to General Truck Body in Houston, Texas where the build was completed. General Truck Body has been building custom units like this since 1917. By the time the dust settled, this unit cost BJ Services >$150,000, about $60,000 for the truck and $90,000 for the box. Why should this matter to you? For one thing, no company is going to pay $90,000 for a box that is not exceptionally well built. Time is money in the oilfields, so breakdowns are not acceptable. The box must be able to withstand extremes in temperature, minus 50 to plus 120.

BATHROOM:

Bathroom.jpg

This vehicle has everything you need to travel anywhere. At just 24’ long, if a delivery truck can get there, so can you. Travel in comfort, why not? You can pull up anywhere and stay independently. Enjoy dinner on that secluded beach and go to sleep listening to the sound of the surf.

It is hard to think of selling, but it is too much for me. I have all of the receipts and manuals. Please feel free to PM me any questions. I may not know the answer, but hopefully, I can find out.

Attachments

• Kitchen from dinette.jpg
    Kitchen from dinette.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 835
  • pass side.jpg
    pass side.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,210
  • rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,202
  • driver bins.jpg
    driver bins.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,141
  • Large bin.jpg
    Large bin.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,144
Last edited:

AuntieM

Observer
View attachment Bulletproof.docx
It was suggested that I include the receipt for the Bulletproof install. Also, The Camper is registered and insured in the State of California as an RV. The registration is approximately $130/year. I also have stated value insurance through State Farm and mexinsurance.com, full coverage with both.

Some of you may have seen the Vehicle at the 2014 Overland Expo in Flagstaff where we were a Featured Vehicle in the Recycled Vehicle presentations.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Nice setup; we loved our F550 6.0 liter! Once they are bulletproofed they are super nice to drive and reliable. liking the massive water and propane capacity, with the solar you are good to go for a long time away from facilities!

GLWS.

adam88

Explorer
Just wanted to pass on my condolences for the loss of your husband. This is a pretty neat expedition vehicle you guys built at a great price. Someone will be very lucky to buy this! Good luck.

AuntieM

Observer
Exterior Pictures

As requested:

Passengers Side

Passengers side with bins open

Rear Bumper

Drivers Side
Drivers Side with bins open

Large storage bin

Propane bin with (4) tanks

Tool bin

Attachments

• Large bin.jpg
    Large bin.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 8,023
  • driver bins.jpg
    driver bins.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 8,025
  • pass side bins.jpg
    pass side bins.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8,022
  • pass side.jpg
    pass side.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 8,022
  • rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8,017
  • propane bin.jpg
    propane bin.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8,060
  • tool bin.jpg
    tool bin.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7,939
Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Having seen this rig go from concept to completion and crawled all over, around, under and inside it I can say it is one of the best constructed rigs out there. This rig was built with real overlanding in mind. For example it would of been a lot easier to go with normal RV tanks for the propane but they went with the more easily filled 20lb bottles (and a lot of them). The cassette toilet instead of blackwater so that it can be easily emptied outside the USA. Enough water (plus filters) and solar to stay off grid for a long time.

Also having escaped the weather in it during Snowverland Expo 2014 I can vouch for the insulation and heating capabilities. (plus the great meals vouched for the quality of both the kitchen and the cook)

Someone is going to get a well setup, well sorted rig at a great price (and be out using it long before I finish my DIY rig).

Best of luck with the sale.

jamesk

Observer
Very interesting. I'm curious what the wheelbase is, and overall length. Also, does it have an on board generator to run the rooftop AC?

AuntieM

Observer
I beleive the wheel base is 141", buyer would need to verify. The overall length is 24'6" and no generator, we never used the A/C unless we were plugged in.

AuntieM

Observer
Rear View Camera

After some help, I was able to load better pictures to the above post. Please check out the new photos.

jamesk

Observer
To the people smarter than me:

Is a rig like this able to be modified with a lift and converted to super singles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles