The Dog Gen1 Build

ETR005

Been awhile since last post... haven't done much to the truck. Had a few coolant system issues with hoses blowing, heater core leaking and soldering back together mixed with flamboyant profanity.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had any good lists of montero specific parts/kit components that are good for long trips. We are planning a long run to Labrador Canada this summer and am trying to start getting ready for that and don't want to have something avoidable stop us or be underprepared for a common issue.

As for other upgrades... I am about to order the green (jungle love) monstaliner now that the weather is warming up a bit and going to embark on the hydraulic lash adjuster replacement and valve seal replacement. The pesky ticking still persists even with the heavier royal purple oil I have in it currently. Can't wait to fix that and throw some rotella in it- nothing against royal purple...

Hopefully here soon to a sleeping platform will be in the works. If anyone knows of any gen 1 platform build threads that'd be awesome. I looked around and saw some sweet ones but no gen 1s.
Cheers!

in Labrador it matters.

maybe an route that includes bay of fundy, p.e.i.
the canso gut any place on the gaspe' is a lifetime of memories. and a reasonable certainty of returning home intact

Last edited:

ETR005

IMG_2052.jpg
Been busy on the truck! Finally got the monsterliner and got that done. I am very happy with the product and definitely recommend it. With proper prep and tools it isn't hard to get a good result. I tore the engine down to the heads again and redid my valve stem seals, and serviced the hydraulic lash adjusters. Also welded up a roof rack and modified a set of work van ladder racks to mount it; need two more mounts though. Up next is re-building my fan clutch. Noticed my temp creeping up when idling,so I tested the fan and it's slipping, a new radiator may be on the docket too depending on the results of the fan clutch.

Last edited:

Oso

Forest Defecator
nice! yup looks like Ohio. where are you located? i'll be in the state for a week early june. maybe get a beer or coffee and talk rigs?

ETR005

Evidently my fan clutch isn't the issue and I can't figure out why but the engine keeps wanting to overheat. The hoses appear to keep overpressurizing even though I know I have good flow and have flushed and can't find any evidence of a clog anywhere, new radiator cap, and it passes the sulphur test for a intact head gasket . My best guess is that the block may have a crack from the previous owner as it has never worked flawlessly.

I am looking at doing an engine swap too. I wanted to see if anyone new about the 3.0 to gen 2 3.5 swap being done, there seems to be mixed reviews of this in terms of ease with wiring being the concern but equally as many say it's easy to do? Would this be a better route for more power or like most is a stock 3.0 the best route?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles