The Dog Gen1 Build

ETR005

So, I bought a 1991 Montero. Dubbed "The Dog" by the previous owners. It had a blown radiator cap and wasn't running but the engine rolled and despite some bumps and dings I couldn't help it and wound up paying $400 for it. Being from Ohio, rust is the devil and this thing was fresh from California without a speck of rust on it, so that to me was priceless after battling it on past vehicles. Long story short, the truck, which had been sitting about a year, fired right up when the radiator cap was soldered back together. However it was clear a new head gasket was needed. During that project I re-did the timing belt, any gaskets/seals I came in contact with and the water pump as well as checking the head thoroughly. I had bad terminals and ground and didn't know it or check them so I cooked the starter in my excitement to drive it, so it has a new one of those too. After all that it has been running fairly well, with the exception of a few things that don't seem to impact performance. My goal throughout is to keep it as stock as possible while making a capable camping/overland rig.

IMG_0501 (1).jpg

Although the truck is rust free it has some pretty severe clear coat rot, some dents and bumps that id like to pull and fill and I want to keep things rust free. I don't necessarily want to dump a bunch of money to repaint it and then take it out and have it striped up by sagebrush and whatever else. I have been looking into the monstaliner (I like the fact it doesn't have crumbs in it) route and that seems to turn out pretty good and people like it. I just like the look of them stock and hesitate to do something as drastic as that. Any thoughts on this or other ideas?

Also I am trying to diagnose the seemingly infamous ticking/knock. Does anyone have any way to discern whether it is a knock or the noisy lifter/guide issue? I am currently running royal purple 5w-20 oil with some Marvel mystery oil and it seems to quiet it down slightly. I tried the 3000rpm cycle and it made no difference either. the noise seems to be equal in loudness from the top and bottom and is definitely on the driver side.

I appreciate any feedback/answers and apologies if this should be in a different area, I am still getting my bearings on here.

1morebike

Adventurer
Sweet! My gen one just blew a head gasket and as much as I loved it it was time to get something with a few more safety features for the family. I grew up in Michigan and always wanted a gen one but yeah rust had destroyed them. When I moved to the west coast I sold my rusty land cruiser and bought a gen 1. Anyway the engine noise is a pain. Mine had it bad and I tried a few things. I used a oil additive that was supposed to clean the valves but it didn't really work. I bought some expensive fuel injection cleaner and before the gas tank was empty the sound was gone. I also had two cracked manifolds that Im sure we're also making noise. Good luck

mitsu delivered a pretty stout platform from its factories.you wont have to do much to improve it.

the tick /knock can be anything. a careful diagnosis is first.

go back over your previous efforts look at everything: look again. listen. check your timing belt is still clocking the cams properly.
there is huge satisfaction in getting the diagnosis right. and repairing only that issue.
i have your twin rig. a 91

these rigs are simple in the extreme.

exhaust leaks
timing belt
tensioner (did you go in and re tension after a few hundred miles)?
lash adjuster(s)
loose distributor?

anything can cause a knock. a hiss a terrible sound that careful searching can find pretty quickly..

one good tip: remove your taillights and the reflector socket, both sides. run your water hose inside and flush with gallons of water. this will rinse out the rocker panels and help to open up the clogged rain ports. -so important in the midwest road salts. be aware this will wet the carpets with too much water too quickly
behind rear mud flap bracket too. up near the gas tank filler port.
use compressed air (or water) to flush your sunroof drains.
regularly rinse the rear bumper underneath and around the brackets
your rig will love you all the more with fresh fluids bumper to bumper.

avoid the mistake of changing out parts just because they are old. the mitsu parts even old are likely better than you can buy new.

Last edited:

Oso

Forest Defecator
I like monstaliner and have it on my gen 1. If I ever want to paint my rig, it can be sanded out nicely and used as a high build primer. Also, it can be sprayed or rolled on smooth to avoid texture. this wasn't an option when i put it on my rig years ago, then again i think they only had 13 colors back then. IMG_1098.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Start by replacing the lifters, if the cam and rockers are worn from being run low on oil often or just age/miles you may need a new pair of cams and rockers.

ETR005

I like monstaliner and have it on my gen 1. If I ever want to paint my rig, it can be sanded out nicely and used as a high build primer. Also, it can be sprayed or rolled on smooth to avoid texture. this wasn't an option when i put it on my rig years ago, then again i think they only had 13 colors back then. View attachment 378393

That looks really good, I was thinking of doing the "blood bath" color or a forest green. You also answered another question I had of whether they would look good with a white roof or not!

ETR005

Excellent tips, thank you all. I am definitely impressed with the platform and my buddies who all have landcruisers are even impressed with the quality.

I will definitely have to go back in and check everything we did, and make sure everything is still tensioned properly. It has gone about 500 miles since the head gasket was put in. The knock seems to disappear when warm and idling but otherwise rpms make no difference. The heads and other internals looked great for 224,000 as well.

With those lash adjusters is it better to service them/refill them or just to buy new?

ETR005

I like monstaliner and have it on my gen 1. If I ever want to paint my rig, it can be sanded out nicely and used as a high build primer. Also, it can be sprayed or rolled on smooth to avoid texture. this wasn't an option when i put it on my rig years ago, then again i think they only had 13 colors back then. View attachment 378393[/QUOTE

Did you use monstaliner on the roof too? I'm thinking white would look good with either red or green. Also what kind of roof rack and mounts is that if you don't mind?

Oso

Forest Defecator
I like monstaliner and have it on my gen 1. If I ever want to paint my rig, it can be sanded out nicely and used as a high build primer. Also, it can be sprayed or rolled on smooth to avoid texture. this wasn't an option when i put it on my rig years ago, then again i think they only had 13 colors back then. View attachment 378393[/QUOTE

Did you use monstaliner on the roof too? I'm thinking white would look good with either red or green. Also what kind of roof rack and mounts is that if you don't mind?[/QUOTEt

The roof is monstaliner. The rack came from a SWB I chopped up. I believe it's a Wilderness/Gavin rack and mount. Kinda small for my rig but it doesn't interfere with the moonroof so it works well.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
With those lash adjusters is it better to service them/refill them or just to buy new?

I used new, but bought a set for my '95 DOHC engine off Ebay. Look for a set labeled as 'improved, 3mm' or something of the sort. Bleed them per the factory service manual, in diesel fuel, and install. Since you'd be right there anyway, replace the valve stem seals, which are also a revised part for the half of them (can't remember if they're all the old exhaust seal number or all the old intake number now, but they all work...now) and you'll be a happy person.

John B.

ETR005

I used new, but bought a set for my '95 DOHC engine off Ebay. Look for a set labeled as 'improved, 3mm' or something of the sort. Bleed them per the factory service manual, in diesel fuel, and install. Since you'd be right there anyway, replace the valve stem seals, which are also a revised part for the half of them (can't remember if they're all the old exhaust seal number or all the old intake number now, but they all work...now) and you'll be a happy person.

John B.

Sweet thanks for the advice- I just picked up some valve stem seals today and have some lash adjusters coming in. Hopefully this weekend everything can be addressed.

Does anyone have any sources for aesthetic/body parts? I have been driving myself crazy looking for one of the exterior vents for the back window. The only luck I have had is the recycling place in california: http://m.mstrecycling.com

Oso

Forest Defecator
Sweet thanks for the advice- I just picked up some valve stem seals today and have some lash adjusters coming in. Hopefully this weekend everything can be addressed.

Does anyone have any sources for aesthetic/body parts? I have been driving myself crazy looking for one of the exterior vents for the back window. The only luck I have had is the recycling place in california: http://m.mstrecycling.com

which side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94