James Baroud Evasion vs. Autohome Air Top

crfster

Good afternoon:

I have searched but wasn't able to find too much on this specific question. I am looking for my first RTT for my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek that I look forward to taking on many road trips across Canada and the US. Could anyone please help me to understand the differences between these two tents or what should help direct my attention to one over the other? Overall, they seem fairly similar in style and setup as well as both being from established brands. From what I have seen of pricing, it looks like the Air Top is a fair bit cheaper.

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have.

Thanks for your help!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I can chime in on a few of the features of the Evasion Evo by James Baroud.

The main difference in my opinion is the solar reflective aluminized fabric and 360* mesh screening found on the Evasion Evo. This fabric helps reduce internal temperatures in hot climates and with full wrap around screening you maximize your chances of enjoying a breeze while still having the privacy of the lower half of material.

Another notable feature is the solar fan, which controls condensation in colder climates and during rain storms.

Another option to consider if you are tight on space with your Crosstrek is the Explorer Evo. The same tent with the exception of a cargo carrier on the top allowing storage of items up to 60lbs.

Here is a link to our web designer's Crosstrek with an Evasion https://www.instagram.com/advsubi/

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
If you are asking for opinions, I think simple is better, and would recommend a standard Maggiolina rather than an AirTop or a tent that utilizes gas struts, this may be why there isn't a lot of discussion here. It is like a trick question, we need to know more about what kind of conditions you plan to encounter to be able to weigh in on what you might need.

The old fashioned crank mechanisms have a lot going for them. For example, if you take the crank out and it is like a key, unless you know how it works, you aren't getting into the tent so your stuff is safe inside. In high winds I like to be able to tighten the side fabric drum tight. I even like the older systems where you can tilt the roof away from you when closing so all the ice and water sheet off away from you. The fabric can be easily tucked in as you close it as you can stop at any time and adjust the way the everything fits in. It isn't temperature dependent, works the same in high and low temperatures.

The downside is that the crossarms take up space in the front and back of the tent so your mattress is a little shorter and if you are tall, you can't sleep in the middle. It isn't really so bad as it sounds as you have space on either side of the crossarms and you put you pillow on the shelf above the lift mechanism.

That being said, my own tent uses gas struts, it is much lighter duty than the tents you mention.

Dozer Dan

Observer
I bought an Evasion not long ago. I obviously also looked at the AirTop, there are a few reviews and impressions about the AirTop around the place, various forums etc - Google is your friend.

What turned me off the AirTop more than anything else was the locking mechanism. The latches seem difficult top operate and there are reports they don't last that well either. I never felt this tent was a runner when I was deciding.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Dozer, my thought was to open up the discussion. If you chose a tent on the quality of the latches, then an old style Maggiolina would make the most sense, as latches are almost not needed, the tent will not open if you forget to latch them, so if they are lousy, who cares?

Again, I don't see the advantage of having a Maggiolina style tent with air struts, that includes the Air Top. The only advantage I see is you can use the front and back as an entrance so if you have a fixed ladder like on an old Disco, it might make sense. So, I know that both these tents are very well thought of but why limit your choices to either of these tents?

Dozer Dan

Observer
@Lemsteraak Just wanted to offer my reasons for not even considering one of the tents asked about and ended up buying the other. You can't go wrong with either a JB or Maggio and the regular Maggio has a lot going for it. But I don't think the AirTop is a good pick.
On the back the AirTop has a single plastic strap to secure the (gas strut loaded) top. You wouldn't be as concerned about the latches on a maggio as they aren't as important but on a gas strut tent the latches are crucial.

Flyer69

Observer
I don't have any experience with Autohome tents, but I do own a JB Evasion Evo and I absolutely recommend it. The quality is superb, and the 360 ventilation is amazing. I've had all the panels open and slept in the heat of summer, and the open-air feeling is sublime. The insulation kit works well also in cold weather. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to help.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
eight years ago, i bought a well used maggiolina airland and i've logged many hard miles on it since then. i absolutely recommend maggiolina. i have no experience with baroud, but i am interested although reading someones post about losing a chunk of gelcoat when hitting a tree is a bit concerning (i've done my fair share of tree vs. tent experiences, including one that picked up a tree as i drove under it and the tent showed almost no damage outside of some stickers on the side getting the centers of them sliced out by a broken branch on the side of the tree).

i do agree with the concerns over the airtop latching system. i would be afraid of the rubber latch breaking and the tent deploying while on the road. i've also wondered how good the struts are in the cold (i do a lot of cold weather camping). i never considered the security, but they are right...without a crank, you can't get in the airland

crfster

Thank you very much for all of your replies! This has been tremendously helpful and it certainly seems like I should stick to the known reliability of the Maggiolina or JB but probably stay away from the Air Top.

Abitibi

Explorer
I've had the Airtop, nice tent with very good interior quality but as mentioned, locking mechanism left to be desired. I've since replaced it with a James Baroud Classic Evo and one area that hasn't been mentioned and where I believe is a big plus is in the lift mechanism. The JB has a connecting rod between both front and rear lift mechanism which adds a lot of structural integrity. There are other neat features with the JB (small awnings above windows, better weatherproof material, solar vent, side vent ports, nice locking latches and the front and rear wall's fabric have an integrated elastic in the middle to avoid the fabric getting stucked in the lift mechanism, clever!)

Either way one can't go wrong with these tents!

Last edited:

Z Bronco

I have a medium AirTop which I bought used last summer and is mounted on my 2009 Subaru Forester. I have had zero issues with it and its latching mechanism and the tent goes up and down easily. With the gas struts you do have to make sure you tuck the fabric in correctly when you close as to not pinch the fabric. Do check your rack system as to the overall weight you can carry. The James Baroud was too heavy for my Subaru setup so the decision was made for me, but I have always liked the Maggiolinas and am very happy with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online