Does anyone recognise this Camper?

63tlf8

Observer
Hi,

I'm very interested in getting any information that I can about this camper. Does anyone recognise it or have any idea where it was made? In particular I am interested in the pop up section. Any help gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Tony
View attachment 20573

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The pop-top looks like the one on the ActionMobil Outback:

page15-1038-full.jpg

But the one in your pic doesn't look like the quality of workmanship one would expect from Actionmobil.

haven

Expedition Leader
Is this manifold on the camper body using the 'Mog's compressed air
to lift the camper roof?

liftingroof.jpg

oonimog

Adventurer
Tony,
I took that photo in Tunis while waiting for the ferry. The truck was home built by it's German owner. The cabin is skinned in aluminium and roof raised using hydraulic cylinders. Also, IIRC, the original MB engine was replaced with an MAN!! That's about all I can recall. I need a RAM upgrade...

Pete

63tlf8

Observer
oonimog said:
Tony,
I took that photo in Tunis while waiting for the ferry....Pete

Pete,

Thanks very much. I had the photo filed away as one of two final options for my camper and it rose to the top of the list as I need a 800mm lift and the other design was 400mm. Unfortunately I couldn't remember where I found the photo and there is always a faint hope that the owner may have had a web or blog site with comments.

Mine will also be home made and I expect that it will look much the same when finished. Looks like I'd better get the design finalised and cut some metal.

Thanks

Tony

63tlf8

Observer
steve.lorimer said:
I take it you're aware of unicat?
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, and many of the others. I don't have a unique problem but do have restrictions which include tight forest trails with low overhead clearance in some areas and very dodgy old bridges with 5 tonne weight limits in others.

I have a LR and 2 Mtr Jurgens Oryx that I have used for the last 4 years so to keep in the ballpark I'm putting a camper on the back of my 404 Unimog. Specifically this choice because all up weight less than 4.5 tonnes, length 5 Mtr and height not much more than the LR. Had the option of a 1300 Mog but far too heavy for the circumstances. A small 4x4 Fuso would also do but I already have the 404 so thats it.

Cheers

Tony

63tlf8

Observer
Overland Hadley said:
Do you have a build thread?

In a word, no. We're off to Germany in a few days for 2 months so planning and preps for that have occupied most of my time lately. I've been doing over my MOG for the last few years, converting it from a Fire tender to a flat tray, tanks, extra fuel etc. With it's slow speed and mechanical simplicity, I didn't see that as being of particular interest to this Forum so didn't set up a thread. We don't have much interest in covering more than 300 Km a day, it's all about the trips and not the vehicle.

Will be putting up some pictures and progress from early next year. So far it's been postulation, rejection, prototyping, rejection and so on. Over the years we have had some experience with tents, RTT's, trailers, the Oryx concept so we know what we need in the next iteration. Most of the time has gone into refining the concept and working out how to successfully go low tech. I guess I can afford to take my time with this as the LR rig is always there for us to get away.

I'll start posting early in 2009, all going well.

Tony

63tlf8

Observer
Do you have a build thread?

Now that we're back I'll get one up and running in the next month. We spent a few months in Germany late last year and now that Christmas is done and dusted the build should start shortly.

The MOG is almost complete; that is in relation to the various undertray stowages for extra water, fuel and spares. I have hung all the stowages from the chassis rails and left the tray clear of attachments. And of course there are always other things to do and places to go.

Essentially the camper will be a 2 x 3 mtr floor plan, level with the top of the drivers cab in travel mode, using a hard side sliding top section. Commercially the Alaskan is the closest concept that I have been able to find, although there are some privately built examples that will probably resemble my finished product more closely.

I also have a preference to keep the Camper somewhat in context with the age of the MOG as well as building in redundancies for "critical" equipment, a fallback from my past. This concept helps to drive the direction of the design that will suit us but maybe few others. For example while we will have a comprehensive 12v and 240v (via inverter) system, a refrigerator is unlikely, leading to no Solar system in the initial build although space has been included for solar if future needs dictate.

I've been accumulating many of the bits and pieces needed to construct the camper and having a debate with myself on the multitude of options for the construction. As always cost is a driver and a lot of stuff readily available overseas is expensive here by comparison, up to 30% more this year just on exchange rates before any local surcharges and international freight. The latest head banging exercise has been the lift mechanism for the sliding top section. The options have been hydraulic, pnuematic, electric via linear actuators and even spring lifters. As the top needs to rise squarely to avoid binding, some options fell by the wayside as they couldn't be phased or sychronised at reasonable cost. At the moment it looks like screw jacks will be the solution. If I don't go for the industrial linear motion jacks I will have to make them myself to get the stroke needed. There are commercially available camper jacks for slide ons which would do the job but at $1800 a set compared to $500 for a DIY soultion, that choice is becomming a no-brainer.

I'll post some pictures in the build thread as something worthwhile occurs.

Tree

Adventurer
How does the 404 handle it? Big difference in power? I would love to see some pics even if it isn't finished. :drool:

63tlf8

Observer
How does the 404 handle it? Big difference in power? I would love to see some pics even if it isn't finished. :drool:

Hi Tree,

No camper yet so I can't honestly say. It handles and rides better with a load so I expect it will be OK. All the weight will be low.

What power? Then again, we want it to crawl around and check out the more isolated places at a leisurely pace. I doubt if we would exceed 70 KPH most days and likely much slower. I honestly don't expect it to show any radical change, it's slow without any load.

The 404 picture is mid last year and doesn't show any of the undertray stowages or jerry cans. The other picture (although a very different model) is an indication of the style of the finished product.

Attachments

• MOG 124.JPG
    MOG 124.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Pop_up.jpg
    Pop_up.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 132

Tree

Adventurer
Hi Tree,

No camper yet so I can't honestly say. It handles and rides better with a load so I expect it will be OK. All the weight will be low.

What power? Then again, we want it to crawl around and check out the more isolated places at a leisurely pace. I doubt if we would exceed 70 KPH most days and likely much slower. I honestly don't expect it to show any radical change, it's slow without any load.

The 404 picture is mid last year and doesn't show any of the undertray stowages or jerry cans. The other picture (although a very different model) is an indication of the style of the finished product.

Sorry I read your post wrong. Anyway that is a very nice mog. Did you make that hardtop your self? If so you did a very nice job!

63tlf8

Observer
Did you make that hardtop your self? If so you did a very nice job!

Thats the factory standard hard top. Previously the MOG was a TLF-8, initially used for civil defence then as a local fire engine in a rural area.

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier