spark plugs- i need advice for a gen 1 3.0 v6

after the refresh, i usinstalled whatever was oem spec. but i see coffeegoat using irridium. is this the best thing for my 3.0?

what is commonly accepted as the best plug for my 3.0?
thx

RyanY

Adventurer
Iridium plugs will last several times longer than standard plugs and considerably longer than even platinum plugs, so they're really nice for vehicles where plug access is difficult. I've always felt that Iridium plugs ran smoother than whatever plugs I had just replaced, but that's to be expected when replacing worn plugs. That said, I still run ND or Denso Iridium plugs in every vehicle I own for the sake of being able to forget about them for 100K miles or so.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
You didn't ask, but you'll also get a recommendation from Ryan for MagneCore silicone wires. He swears by them, and I probably spelled the name wrong, but you get the point. For everybody else, if you're looking at rotor and cap sets for a Gen 1, and there is a choice, get the better set, the ones with brass contacts instead of aluminum.

A lot of Gen 1's seem to have misplaced a seal that usually sits between the cap and the distributor. Try to find whatever your engine was supposed to have, as it really helps keep moisture from getting under the cap and causing your engine to die after bombing through large mud puddles (because that is fun).

Don't leave out a dose of dielectric grease on both ends of the boots of the spark plug wires, both for ease of removal later and to keep moisture out. I like that stuff so much I have an aerosol can of it, like a ten year supply it would seem. I even use it on bulb sockets after hitting them with electrical contact cleaner and before replacing a light bulb.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior