M-416 Build

socaljeeper

Adventurer
kjp98TJ said:
awesome.

how much did you shorten the tub? i was also thinking of doing that.

IH8RDS said:
Impressive! I never thought of shortening the tub like that. Makes sense.

Thanks! There was some significant damage to the front right area of the tub that was beyond repair. So I decided to cut 15 inches off and rotate it 180 deg. and fab the tailgate. I probably would never of thought about doing that if the tub was in good condition. It is nice because it gives space to mount everything and it is not too far forward as far as tounge weight. I think I have a perfect weight distibution with how it is. Thanks again for the compliments.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Action Photos

Here are some pictures of a weekend trip i did a few weeks back. The trailer did good, but my only gripe is the noise from the lunette. I am definately switching to a lock and roll system.

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03535.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

DSC03530.jpg

DSC03512.jpg

DSC03529.jpg

DSC03526.jpg

DSC03517.jpg

DSC03508.jpg

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Robert Bills said:
I don't recognize the trail. Where were you?

That is 3n16 in Big Bear. That particular section in the photo's with the more difficult terrain is called the ball buster.

Robert Bills

Explorer
socaljeeper said:
That is 3n16 in Big Bear. That particular section in the photo's with the more difficult terrain is called the ball buster.

That's 3N16?!?? I haven't been up there since the last fire. Sure looks different. I don't recall anything difficult at all. What portion of the road is in your photos? I'd like to mark it on my topo map.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Robert Bills said:
That's 3N16?!?? I haven't been up there since the last fire. Sure looks different. I don't recall anything difficult at all. What portion of the road is in your photos? I'd like to mark it on my topo map.

Sorry Robert, Im on drugs:bigbossHL: . It is 3N34 at Dishpan springs. There are two areas that are rated most difficult on this section. We were on our way to camp at Crab Flats.

Robert Bills

Explorer
socaljeeper said:
Sorry Robert, Im on drugs:bigbossHL: . It is 3N34 at Dishpan springs. There are two areas that are rated most difficult on this section. We were on our way to camp at Crab Flats.

Now I recognize it.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Final Touches

So I am in the process of dismantling the trailer and I am not sure what I should do for the final touches. I plan on getting the inside of the tub spray lined. As for the outside, should I get it spray lined as well? Or paint it? The guy at the liner place told me he can match the jeep for an extra $250. The outside of the tub has some blemishes that I think spray liner would hide. I also plan on powder coating the frame an the fenders as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Robert Bills

Explorer
socaljeeper said:
So I am in the process of dismantling the trailer and I am not sure what I should do for the final touches. I plan on getting the inside of the tub spray lined. As for the outside, should I get it spray lined as well? Or paint it? The guy at the liner place told me he can match the jeep for an extra $250. The outside of the tub has some blemishes that I think spray liner would hide. I also plan on powder coating the frame an the fenders as well. Any input would be appreciated.

I am not a fan of spray liners on exterior surfaces. If it were mine, I'd do the best body work I could to repair the blemishes and then paint it. I haven't tried to do body work on metal coated with a spray liner on both sides, but I imagine it would be a hassle. Paint is relatively easy to repair.

As for powdercoating the frame and fenders, why? As noted in another current thread, proper preparation is critical (and adds to the cost). Also, powdercoat can and will get rock chips. It seems to me that semi-gloss black paint for the frame would be the most cost effective and the easiest to repair in the future. As for the fenders, I would paint them to match the trailer (or contrast if you like the look).

My two cents.

Ramjet

Explorer
Holy Crap. That is awesome. I've been looking for an M-416 trailer for some time. I'm in the process of just ordering a custom trailer. I love yours though. Nice work!

miller_au

Adventurer
Fantastic setup mate!! looks great... love the bench top with stereo! :victory:does the contents of your shelves get wet in the rain tho??

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Ramjet said:
Holy Crap. That is awesome. I've been looking for an M-416 trailer for some time. I'm in the process of just ordering a custom trailer. I love yours though. Nice work!

Thanks Ramjet, what type of trailer are you thinking about ordering.

miller_au said:
Fantastic setup mate!! looks great... love the bench top with stereo! :victory:does the contents of your shelves get wet in the rain tho??

Thanks! I put some weather stripping around the edges and it has a tight fit when closed. I spray tested it with the hose and there was no water gets inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior