picked up a 2003 Yukon XL 2500

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just looked and it was the 8.0 that was 320hp. Of course torque was much higher, 440 ft lbs it looks like.
Yes, and MPG rarely gets out of the single-digits.
Oh the other thing I'm envious about is your 37 gallon gas tank. :drool:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes, and MPG rarely gets out of the single-digits.
Oh the other thing I'm envious about is your 37 gallon gas tank. :drool:

Not sure if envy is the right word, I filled it up Tuesday and was $83, dash said I had 347 miles til empty. Last night I ordered OEM plugs and MSD wires for it, tonight I plan to order the intake and maybe the programmer. If I can eek out 14-15 mpg I will be happy. Kind of excited to play with the rear DVD while camping come spring, with the rear captain's chairs it will be like our own little theater.

Chili

Explorer
Careful with the MSD stuff.. I replaced the coil and wires with MSD on my old Bronco and 2 wires and the coil all failed within 6 months. I also know a lot of people in the car scene that have had issues with MSD stuff going bad, especially in the last 5-10 years.

Not to say their stuff is all junk and nobody should buy it, because I do still hear of people having good luck with it. I would just keep any of your old cables that are still good as backups (maybe one or two of the longer ones), so you don't get stranded.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Careful with the MSD stuff.. I replaced the coil and wires with MSD on my old Bronco and 2 wires and the coil all failed within 6 months. I also know a lot of people in the car scene that have had issues with MSD stuff going bad, especially in the last 5-10 years.

Not to say their stuff is all junk and nobody should buy it, because I do still hear of people having good luck with it. I would just keep any of your old cables that are still good as backups (maybe one or two of the longer ones), so you don't get stranded.

A lot of the issues people have with plug wires in general is that folks tend to not use the dielectric grease like they should and damage the wires when removing them. The factory wires are only 6-8 inches long and all are the same length, so carrying a spare is easy enough. The factory wires do an okay job, but after reading up on the tests for the stock and aftermarket versions that several guys have done in regard to ohm resistance, the MSD was the best for the money spent. Also going to order and change the water pump for added assurance, it still has the original pump and may be at the end of its service life.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not sure if envy is the right word, I filled it up Tuesday and was $83, dash said I had 347 miles til empty. Last night I ordered OEM plugs and MSD wires for it, tonight I plan to order the intake and maybe the programmer. If I can eek out 14-15 mpg I will be happy. Kind of excited to play with the rear DVD while camping come spring, with the rear captain's chairs it will be like our own little theater.
I actually got around 18.5 MPG on one tank (obviously that was without the trailer.) Wife and I spent a full day driving around Central Colorado and looking for campsites for next year. I think we went 350 miles and the tank was showing just a little under half when we got home!
EDITED TO ADD: Ah, almost forgot, I got a bonafide 19mpg (well, 18.95) in November. I drove from Denver to Craig, CO, 200 miles to the Northwest, and then back to get the sidecar for my motorcycle. It was the first time in my life that I've been able to make a round trip to Craig without ever having to stop for gas. I still had about a quarter of a tank when I got home, 435 miles later!

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
A lot of the issues people have with plug wires in general is that folks tend to not use the dielectric grease like they should and damage the wires when removing them. The factory wires are only 6-8 inches long and all are the same length, so carrying a spare is easy enough. The factory wires do an okay job, but after reading up on the tests for the stock and aftermarket versions that several guys have done in regard to ohm resistance, the MSD was the best for the money spent. Also going to order and change the water pump for added assurance, it still has the original pump and may be at the end of its service life.

Yeah, I have definitely seen that. I did use dielectric grease. The wires failed (before the coil did). Confirmed with multimeter. I did have their dizzy cap and had no issue with that. Just sharing my experience and recommending carrying a spare, at least.

Didn't think about the length as I never had to touch those on my Suburban, too used to having a distributor. :eek:

Come to think of it, I think the only time I needed to get under the hood of the Suburban was to check fluids and replace the battery. Maybe I should have kept it. lol

rayra

Expedition Leader
Do your homework and you will see it was a lot more than just the engine hp, the 2500 gives you a heavier frame, bigger brakes, rear leaf springs, stronger axles, heavy duty transmission, and more stock ground clearance than the 1500 except the z71. Towing stress on a vehicle is about 30% acceleration and 70% braking, the 2500 is a much safer platform to use.

More important than ALL of that, with regards to towing - the 2500 gives you the 4L80E trans, over the 4L60E. If you are going to tow anything beyond the lightest popup or mostly empty trailer rig, you'll wind up wishing you had the 4L80E.
Seen several topics here and elsewhere about people blowing their 4L60Es when they tow at or above the max rating.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Seen several topics here and elsewhere about people blowing their 4L60Es when they tow at or above the max rating.
Mine failed after extensive towing at well UNDER the max rating. Our little T@B weighs maybe 2,000lbs max. ;)
On the plus side, I would say that if/when the 4L60E goes out, there are well known ways to rebuild it to be stronger, and AFAIK most reputable transmission shops do just that. I had a long discussion with the guy who rebuilt mine and he explained how they replace some of the weaker factory parts with parts that are much more stout, so I'm confident that now that it's rebuilt it will last another 3 years or so and by that time I'll likely be ready for a different truck anyway.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I had mine rebuilt after a plowing incident and also added a b&m shift kit. Night and day difference.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
More important than ALL of that, with regards to towing - the 2500 gives you the 4L80E trans, over the 4L60E. If you are going to tow anything beyond the lightest popup or mostly empty trailer rig, you'll wind up wishing you had the 4L80E.

The 4l80e IS the HEAVY DUTY transmission I already mentioned, I grew up in a GM truck family and am familiar with the history and options, this is the first automatic GM I have owned though and made dang sure I was buying a truck with great history.

justbecause

perpetually lost

347/37 = 9.37 ?? I thought that was average for the 8.1 with 6.0s supposed to be getting 12-14?

p nut

butter
347/37 = 9.37 ?? I thought that was average for the 8.1 with 6.0s supposed to be getting 12-14?

Those OBC's typically are very conservative in the calc. It's probably 347 till E light comes on. That should leave few gallons in the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior