picked up a 2003 Yukon XL 2500

b9ev

Adventurer
I gave up on that a decade or longer ago. I realize that $5 a week adds up but the inconvenience of running out of fuel one time makes up for years of savings. Not to mention possible mechanical issues that may occur due to running out of fuel.

Oh yeah, been using GasBuddy for years. The double edged sword is that it can tempt you to try to stretch your fuelups: "If I go 20 more miles I can save a dime a gallon!" :rolleyes:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I gave up on that a decade or longer ago. I realize that $5 a week adds up but the inconvenience of running out of fuel one time makes up for years of savings. Not to mention possible mechanical issues that may occur due to running out of fuel.

I'm usually better at predicting my fuel stops than I was on our AZ trip. If I'm running low on fuel and I know there's cheap fuel 50 or 100 miles ahead, I'll sometimes stop and put 5 or 6 gallons in just to get me to the nearest cheap station.
Then again, I often have to remind myself when on a long trip that the lost time of an additional fuel stop can make the ~ $15 or less savings not really worth it. This is particularly true when I am traveling with the trailer and the wife.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I just bought a 2004 Yukon Denali XL 1/2 ton as a dog hauler - so I read this with some interest. Some things: 1) carrying around all that extra steel of a 3/4 ton when you don't need it is really just poor planning, 2) I think many don't know that the Denali doesn't have a low range, it's a full-time 4x4, which is good and bad depending on use - but its ground clearance is large-wagon, not 4x4, 3) this gets better fuel economy then my 5.3 H3 Hummer (consider that for a moment) - gearing is really most everything and weight comes in as a close second. 4) the 8.1 - has to haul around the 3/4 ton frame AND has worse-for-fuel-economy gearing so comparing its attributes and faults to a 1/2 ton is like comparing the fuel economy of a Miata to a Suburban, pointless. Dirt everyday did a 8.1 swap into a square and it gets better fuel economy then most 4x4 squares (14s).

And after the trip, this thing is a parts-car so if you need anything; parts will be available in a couple months (except the motor that is going into my Corvette, and likely the transmission which may go into my diesel square)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Looks like I will need to start a new thread later and delete this one due to a bunch of irrelevant crap being posted in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne