picked up a 2003 Yukon XL 2500

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yesterday was one of those bittersweet days, I sold my diesel Silverado and "replaced" it with a 2003 Yukon XL 2500 SLT with the 6.0 that I purchased from the original owner with 126k miles. This will not be used much off road other than a few bumpy hunting roads, its main purpose will be towing our boat and people to the lake. Right now my plans are simply to do a full tune-up with OEM plugs, MSD wires, and an oil change. Once it warms up enough to get under it I will do a drain and fill on the transmission and axles. As for upgrades I will just be using the Airaid replacement tube and drop in dry flow filter with a programmer to firm up shifts a bit, seems that most of the exhaust systems available for these actually lose low end power except the Cor$a, but my main focus is a bit better mpg rather than hp. And I plan to order a heavy duty brush guard for the deer and antelope we often encounter on the road.

Ramblejam

Observer
Very cool. Own a '04 2500 Burb, so a bit biased. :)

What options is yours equipped with (gearing, etc.)?

I will just be using the Airaid replacement tube and drop in dry flow filter

Why? The 6.0L doesn't utilize airflow in excess of what's provided by the stock intake configuration. As well, the heavy-duty filter (TGA8755A) used in combination with the OEM restriction gauge will provide a very long service life and excellent filtration (and lower IAT!).

my main focus is a bit better mpg rather than hp.

Clean the carbon out with Kreen (these engines are highly susceptible to build-up, causing everything from "slapping" on cold start, to reduced performance), and use 89 octane when running hard. Knock retard can be easily observed with a phone app (Torque Pro).

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Very cool. Own a '04 2500 Burb, so a bit biased. :)

What options is yours equipped with (gearing, etc.)?

Why? The 6.0L doesn't utilize airflow in excess of what's provided by the stock intake configuration. As well, the heavy-duty filter (TGA8755A) used in combination with the OEM restriction gauge will provide a very long service life and excellent filtration (and lower IAT!).

Clean the carbon out with Kreen (these engines are highly susceptible to build-up, causing everything from "slapping" on cold start, to reduced performance), and use 89 octane when running hard. Knock retard can be easily observed with a phone app (Torque Pro).

It's the fully optioned SLT with 3.73 gears, even has the captain's chairs in the 2nd row I was looking for with rear dvd and Bose surround speaker setup. If you read up on the Airaid setup you will find that there is about an 11-12 hp gain by simply replacing the restrictive stock intake tube that runs from the air box to the TB, the Airaid drop-in dry flow filter is a multi-layer filter that filters well but not as restrictive as the factory filters. The programmer will help with some hp but mostly want to adjust shift parameters that help with better mpg. Cleaning the TB on any used rig is a given and will run a few bottles of injector cleaner through it with some Seafoam in the intake, and I already use premium(91 octane) in all of my vehicles regardless if they require it or not.

Burb One

Adventurer
Wow, great find with the low miles! Congrats!!

I've always been reluctant to believe claims on air intakes, especially on cars/trucks where there isn't a restriction there. Saying that I purchased a 1500 with an air raid already on it, and went to take it off. There was a noticeable different with it on and off. Definitely improved throttle response. I didn't see a substantial MPG difference but the butt dyno was a positive.

OR it could have been the sweet intake sounds making it feel faster:ylsmoke:

Ramblejam

Observer
If you read up on the Airaid setup

I'm well aware of what their marketing department puts out. As aformentioned, restriction isn't there with the OE setup, and you have a built-in bulls**t detector already on the truck:
32838.JPG

Cleaning the TB on any used rig is a given and will run a few bottles of injector cleaner through it with some Seafoam in the intake

I'm referring to (w/Kreen) actual internal engine cleaning. TB (CRC TB/Intake) and injectors (PEA-based product) are important as well.

Regardless, great find. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, great find with the low miles! Congrats!!

I've always been reluctant to believe claims on air intakes, especially on cars/trucks where there isn't a restriction there. Saying that I purchased a 1500 with an air raid already on it, and went to take it off. There was a noticeable different with it on and off. Definitely improved throttle response. I didn't see a substantial MPG difference but the butt dyno was a positive.

OR it could have been the sweet intake sounds making it feel faster:ylsmoke:

It needs a few minor things but is in overall great condition, just got really lucky that I found what we needed nearby. Out of the 12 people who contacted the seller the day he listed it, he pointed at my number in his phone and said to his wife that I was the person he was calling back. I don't believe in coincidences or accidents, so I feel it was meant to be if you will. Even better is that I sold my truck for 30% more than I paid for it 4 years ago, I guess the 90's diesels have gone up in value lately or I just had the right buyer. As for the intake, I don't really care much for more noise, just better airflow. The Airaid setup I referred to is this one http://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=201-712, it utilizes the stock air box that still draws cool air from the fender and a less restrictive filter, the tube replaces the factory accordion tube that is restrictive and the replacement tube also allows for smoother airflow.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm well aware of what their marketing department puts out. As aformentioned, restriction isn't there with the OE setup, and you have a built-in bulls**t detector already on the truck:
32838.JPG

I'm referring to (w/Kreen) actual internal engine cleaning. TB (CRC TB/Intake) and injectors (PEA-based product) are important as well.

Regardless, great find. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Yup, I look forward to it as well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, a 2500 with the 6.0 and only 126k on it. Nice find!
When I was shopping for mine I passed on a 2500 'Burb with only 120k on it. The reason? It had the 8.1. No way did I need/want an engine that big! If I'd been able to find a 2500 with the 6.0 and low miles I would have been all over it.
Congrats. Now post some pics! :sombero:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, a 2500 with the 6.0 and only 126k on it. Nice find!
When I was shopping for mine I passed on a 2500 'Burb with only 120k on it. The reason? It had the 8.1. No way did I need/want an engine that big! If I'd been able to find a 2500 with the 6.0 and low miles I would have been all over it.
Congrats. Now post some pics! :sombero:

It's pewter with the light gray leather interior, I will post pictures once I get it down to the detailer and the paintless dent repair guys for a few small dents/dings.

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
Generally, 'cold air intakes' provide a horsepower gain by causing the engine to run lean, which is not necessarily the safest way to gain power. If you are already getting a handheld tuner you can usually add fuel in with that, but I wouldn't change the intake tube without access to a dyno with wideband to make sure my air / fuel ratio is safe. Just my opinion, of course.

I just got rid of my 05 Suburban Z71 recently, but I really liked it. It was the 5.3, which is under powered for the Suburban, IMO, and I always wish I had held out for a 2500 with the 6.0.

Congrats!

Edit to add pics of mine. :eek:

10322484_10204539835678885_1377655551990050720_n.jpg

10525637_10204539834878865_41959105445650760_n.jpg

10351382_10203025173444736_1298917319171700497_n.jpg

1559744_10203089886462521_3549531447367428842_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ramblejam

Observer
It was the 5.3, which is under powered for the Suburban, IMO, and I always wish I had held out for a 2500 with the 6.0.

That 5.3L was 295HP, right? The 6.0L here is just a little higher @ 320HP.

Even tow ratings (3.73 vs. 3.73) weren't much different:
N10fQ2l.png

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That 5.3L was 295HP, right? The 6.0L here is just a little higher @ 320HP.

Even tow ratings (3.73 vs. 3.73) weren't much different:
N10fQ2l.png

Do your homework and you will see it was a lot more than just the engine hp, the 2500 gives you a heavier frame, bigger brakes, rear leaf springs, stronger axles, heavy duty transmission, and more stock ground clearance than the 1500 except the z71. Towing stress on a vehicle is about 30% acceleration and 70% braking, the 2500 is a much safer platform to use.

Ramblejam

Observer
Yeah, I can provide every detail on each component you listed. Homework was done a long time ago.

Regardless as to how you feel about platform safety, it doesn't change the fact that the 1500 Suburban 4x4 with 3.73's was rated for 7100, and the 2500 Suburban 4x4 with 3.73's was rated for 7500.

400 pound difference, straight from GM.

Chili

Explorer
I wasn't concerned about towing as I knew I would never be close to the 7,000lb rating on the Z71. I wanted it more so for 'pick-up' when passing, climbing steep grades, and the like.

In 2005 models (the year of my former Suburban) the 5.3 was rated at 295hp and 335tq and the 6.0 was 335hp and 375tq. So peak increase of 40hp and 40 ft lbs of torque. Pretty decent in my mind, and peak numbers do not always tell the whole story, so for a real world comparison we would want to look at dyno sheets of both.

I probably could have gotten close to that much out of a good tune and some minor bolt-ons with the 5.3, but was hesitant to push it considering the mileage (bought with ~100k, put ~70k on it).

I will say I was a little more comfortable with the 5.3 in that they are easier to find had something gone wrong. And they are a pretty well proven engine.

Chili

Explorer
Just looked and it was the 8.0 that was 320hp. Of course torque was much higher, 440 ft lbs it looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior