LJ for Overland

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
I drove a LJ daily for 4 years and had to get rid of it when i had a kid, but if your kid is old enough to scramble into the back and buckle himself then I'd say go for it. In my opinion they're the perfect jeep, which is different from the perfect expedition vehicle.... but its the perfect jeep.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
We got our LJ, a 2006 Rubicon with 6 speed since late in 2005. I wanted the increased space and towing capability of the LJ. When they first came out they were only available in automatics. I held out for the last 6 months of production when they offered the manual in a Rubicon and then I jumped on it. Coming out of a 4 door Montero with a giant swing open rear door, our first week long camping trip opened our eyes to the lack of access to all the gear. A trailer was purchased for the Spring of 06 and we've been towing it around since. It doesn't tow all that fast. You might hit 65 going down hill, or if you can get in behind a truck that is going that fast. It is not uncommon to be down to 4th on the interstate to pull up the hills. Gas mileage with the trailer runs 10-12 mpg.

It has been a great trip vehicle. With the trailer, the front and rear lockers have made the difference several times on making it up some obstacles without having to pull cable. Also the Rubicon's low transfer case ratios make crawling along through rough terrain a breeze. It will idle through just about anything. The trailer has brakes, and I would recommend them for offroad, or on for that matter. I'm on 33's, but even with just the +1 on the tires, the extra weight when loaded for a trip will push you without the extra stop from the trailer. I've got helper air bags inside the rear coils which keep it from bottoming out on the bumps. We run the hard top on long trips, but the top is off for playing around closer to home.

Don't think you'll be disappointed if you find one you like.
-
Wandering in Big Bend Ranch State Park

Fresno%20Canyon.jpg

-
More in BBRSP

Long%20Shadows.jpg

-

Working our way out to the Doll House in Canyon Lands Maze District

KTurn.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Honestly if I had to do it again, I would have gotten an LJ. Perfect platform in my opinion; still small enough to fit on just about any trail, good storage, basic as basic gets, D44 rear-end, and has the good old 4.0. I still make due with my TJ, but that extra length would be handy at times. Only issue is that LJ's and LJ Rubicons are selling at a high premium, especially with low miles. If paying around $20k for a 10+ year old vehicle doesn't bother you, do it!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Yes that seems to be what I have found. But that's true all around with cars in general today. I would be okay paying 20 for a stock LJ Rubicon with under 60k on it.

Zeep

Adventurer
It took me almost 2 years to find my LJR. Then it fell in my lap in '07. A salesman friend of mine had it come in as a trade in. So in Oct. '07 I bought my '05 with 8400 miles at the time, for $19400 out the door. 6 spd, dual tops, flame red. Since then I added factory cruise, and a few amenities. Currently at 45k, If I wanted to sell,( which I don't) could probably get most of my money back!

PhulesAU

Explorer
I've owned several jeeps myself. (YJ, TJ, JKUR, and my current LJ) The LJ is my Favorite by far. But I will be using it as a dual purpose rig, hardcore rock crawling & Camping. If you are 100% not goint to build it for rock crawling Id get grand Cherokee or something similar with 4 doors. Getting the kids in and out can be a pain and cargo space is better than a TJ and a JK but still not GREAT.

I like your idea on the Trailer. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Sorry, I can't find pics on this friggin' thing. But as described it's pretty bare bones. but being able to hual almost #800 of STUFF sure makes it handy.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
It took me almost 2 years to find my LJR. Then it fell in my lap in '07. A salesman friend of mine had it come in as a trade in. So in Oct. '07 I bought my '05 with 8400 miles at the time, for $19400 out the door. 6 spd, dual tops, flame red. Since then I added factory cruise, and a few amenities. Currently at 45k, If I wanted to sell,( which I don't) could probably get most of my money back!

You could easily get $23k or more if you sold that here in Texas. People are willing to pay that kind of premium here

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
The extra little makes a big difference. We had to go on a mad cooler hunt to find something that would fit behind the seat of our tj. That same cooler fits longways behind the seat of my grandfather's lj. Boggles my mind. But them I see how much room is behind the seat of our CJ5......oh wait.......

It's all perspective. I know I'll adjust the amount of crap I carry to the size of my vehicle. I'd fill a CJ5 up just as quick as a Grand Wagoneer.

quickfarms

Adventurer
One of my daily drivers is a 2006 LJ with a little over 100,000 miles on it. I do like it. I cruises well at 80, it is noisy but not as bad as the ranger.

It can have a wobble issue but balance, rotation, and is all else fails tire replacement solves the issue. It is on its third set of tires and may get new ones in the near future, these will end up on the ranger.

I have not regretted not getting the rubicon.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just shy of 60k miles...

Same...er well mine is a TJ rather than a LJ but I'm within 400 or so miles of 60k. I had a $25k offer back around when it had 48k+ miles from one guy but I refused. I'm not going to sell something that I'd immediately regret

bfr

Observer
Which ARB fridge do you have? The 50 will fit behind the seat, but will only do so oriented from side to side AND take most of the cargo area floor space.
2EF13533-4914-460E-9F42-7F3008E3FD1F.jpg

96C21DD8-FB2A-4F6E-9EA0-8A1BA58E086C.jpg

The LJ does have more cargo area than a TJ, but IMO not enough more to make it a competent overlanding vehicle without removing the rear seat. If the rear seat is a must (it is for me) it will take a trailer or rack system.
I chose the trailer
IMG_7470_1.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier