LJ for Overland

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
When I search most of the LJs that pop up are in the for sale section, So I thought why not ask. Everyone still driving LJ's whats you overall impression? My wife wants me to have a newer SUV for a DD.
I drove a TJ all through college and then had a 2 door and 4 door JK. Right now I'm in a 1997 Land Rover Discovery Diesel. Right now I know I do not want to get back into a JK unlimited. I have always wanted an LJ and now that my son is old enough to get himself in and out of the back seat this might me my next move. This would be a light build many for camping and exploring with my son (I'm over rock crawling). The only big kit I have that I am not sure would fit with the back seat in is my ARB fridge.

Nate

PhulesAU

Explorer
Even with the extra room in the rear seat, it's still a Royal Pain to get in and out of frequently. I can't help with the On board fridge, becuase I'm too cheap to buy one. But it's still a Jeep just a bit longer. It really is a personal preference thing about using racks and stuffing every space to the gills OR using a trailer. I carry daily use ie. Camera gear, ice chest , lunch stuff, chairs, coats and the DOG in the Jeep. I built a cargo trailer for the rest. For me KISS Rules. A single jetski trailer to start, flip the axles and cover with ply wood. Bolt down some cargo boxes brackets for a spare tire and gas cans and call it good. So far I've dragged the thing for about 30k miles and have only needed to replace 1 wheel bearing.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I had a 2005 LJ I built up as a crawler ( one tons, and ARBs) - LOVED IT! Extra room for camping gear and people. Long wheelbase made short work of most obstacles. Millions of TJs to scrounge parts from as needed. Long live the 4.0!

We now have a 2006 Rubicon LJ
It is basically stock, other than bumpers, winch and 32'' This is our exploration vehicle and we love it for the same reasons above. Only downside ( personal opinion) this one is stick.

If you can find the decent mile LJ I saw go for it. I am a die hard CJ8 lover and this was my modern day replacement.

PCO6

Adventurer
TexasTJ - I have a TJ & a LJ and use both for the same basic things that you would. I definitely prefer the LJ because of the extra cargo space and towing capacity. I also like the longer wheel base for highway travel. The rear seat is always out in both so I can't comment on access issues but agree that would be a bit of a pain for each model.

picture.php

Lucky j

Explorer
I drove a Yj that I bought new in 94 for 20 years. I decided to go with a 2005 lj in fall of 2015. Found one in december of same year. Yj was a trail machine rock and mud but also adventure travel. But I started going out with a single mother that had kid and we both love dogs.

This is one of the reason I went with the LJ. She did not like to drive the yj with 6" lift and 33" travel or 35" bogger for trail and it was tight for traveling with new to me family.

The YJ will give parts to the LJ and tub will become a trailer. LJ will live on with 3 1/2" lift and 33 maybe 34" and is mostly adventure with occasional trails. I prefer trailers ober roof rack. Do not want to mess with loading and unloading of rack to put on or remove soft top. To me it is a jeep and need to be driven w/o roof when ever possible. But I do keep a spider web shade above my bald head. :)

Made a slide rear seat for with or w/o kid. Need the seat for dog. Slide aloow me to change 35 qt arb orientation. Dog do not need bottom leg room.

Just love the LJ and it is manual. ;)

It will never get for sale. When I built jeeps, I built for my self, not for others. ;)

Last edited:

Happykamper

Explorer
My 2005 is probably my second favorite rig. I love the extra room, it's fun to drive. Mods are plentiful . It will do the job you are speaking of perfectly ! Now you just have to convince the boss. Good luck

Fursphere

Observer
I daily drive a 2004 LJ. 4" lift, 33s, soft top. Its a little bouncy and loud - but keeps life interesting. :) I enjoy the drive everyday. Plan on using it for mild offroading this coming year with the wife and kids. She'll drive the LJ and I'll drive the '93 XJ crawler.

I wanted a Wrangler for years... and was just never in a position to buy one until recently (On my 3rd XJ now). Looked at DOZENS of TJs and they all felt too small / cramped (I'm 6'1"). The LJ felt just right and I brought it home. I have younger children - 4 and 6 - and I have to lift them in and out of it which is a little bit of a pain. But they love riding around in it so its worth it. I'm going to swap the sliders out for ones with some sort of step which should fix that problem.

Anyway. Pickup an LJ. I doubt you'll regret it.

The only thing I'll mention is the LJ was 2x-3x more expensive than my current XJ, and the XJ is easily 4x more built than the LJ. Damn things are expensive, at least here in California.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I'm looking at this one in Keller Texas. There are a couple others close too, but if i get one I'm going to grab a Rubicon. I don't really care if it's Manual or Auto.

3155a8ba3f544e72be54009a800e9e4e.jpg

keithert

I had an 05 LJ from 2010-2015. I bought it with 45k miles and traded it with 105k. Shortly after buying it I read about the possible issues with the OPDA (device that drives the oil pump off the camshaft) and was freaked out about that. I replaced the original with a modified stock one and never had an issue. My LJ never rode well above 50 mph despite wheel and tire switches and front end part swaps. It always had a wobble. I had hard and soft tops as well as full, half and soft doors. Aside from the wobble it was a great vehicle. I traded it because of the wobble and it being 10 years old. I got 70% of what I paid for it 5 years later. I traded for a pickup truck last year. I love having a truck and it drives much better than the LJ did. But trading it has been much more costly than if I had just fixed the issues with the LJ and kept it. I wish I had kept it.

hamr26

Observer
I have had my 2006 LJR for 4 years and it works fine if your child is old enough to get in with minimal assistance. Children's car seats are another story; you cannot reach the car seat buckles when standing outside the car. The car seat is only installed on special occasions as it is usually in another car. I am fortunate enough at this time to use another car for daily commuting, but I could use the jeep as a DD if situations changed. A small trailer makes good sense to me as I see it getting more fun & work use than a rack system.
Pic from today:

Attachments

• SNOW JEEP.jpg
    SNOW JEEP.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 57

EMrider

Explorer
I had an 05 LJ from 2010-2015. I bought it with 45k miles and traded it with 105k. Shortly after buying it I read about the possible issues with the OPDA (device that drives the oil pump off the camshaft) and was freaked out about that. I replaced the original with a modified stock one and never had an issue. My LJ never rode well above 50 mph despite wheel and tire switches and front end part swaps. It always had a wobble. I had hard and soft tops as well as full, half and soft doors. Aside from the wobble it was a great vehicle. I traded it because of the wobble and it being 10 years old. I got 70% of what I paid for it 5 years later. I traded for a pickup truck last year. I love having a truck and it drives much better than the LJ did. But trading it has been much more costly than if I had just fixed the issues with the LJ and kept it. I wish I had kept it.

Similar experience here. Like my LJ quite a bit for errands and tooling around town. Mine is an auto and has been reliable. The 4.0 is great. That said, it does not ride well at 60+mph so extended highway trips are not ideal.

Great vehicle for two people camping and exploring. But even the LJ is tight on room.

As a DD and overall package, I much prefer the JK.

R

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
This are my old Jeeps. The 2012 Unlimited was great, but I cannot Really find myself paying the same price for a used on that I bought this one new for plus the time in money to Kit it out in AEV again. I know there are other options on Kit that AEV but there stuff is the only stuff that looks right on a JK in my opinion. I loved my TJ more than any other truck I've owned that kind of what pushing the LJ idea. I'm pretty sure I can sell my Wife on it because she would rather ride a Bike that be in my Diesel Discovery. I am looking at a hard top for sure.
197269_1025744278165_4786_n.jpg

894629_10200508469208539_187156357_o.jpg

jeepster1407

Observer
When I search most of the LJs that pop up are in the for sale section, So I thought why not ask. Everyone still driving LJ's whats you overall impression? My wife wants me to have a newer SUV for a DD.
I drove a TJ all through college and then had a 2 door and 4 door JK. Right now I'm in a 1997 Land Rover Discovery Diesel. Right now I know I do not want to get back into a JK unlimited. I have always wanted an LJ and now that my son is old enough to get himself in and out of the back seat this might me my next move. This would be a light build many for camping and exploring with my son (I'm over rock crawling). The only big kit I have that I am not sure would fit with the back seat in is my ARB fridge.

Nate

I've owned several jeeps myself. (YJ, TJ, JKUR, and my current LJ) The LJ is my Favorite by far. But I will be using it as a dual purpose rig, hardcore rock crawling & Camping. If you are 100% not goint to build it for rock crawling Id get grand Cherokee or something similar with 4 doors. Getting the kids in and out can be a pain and cargo space is better than a TJ and a JK but still not GREAT.

Even with the extra room in the rear seat, it's still a Royal Pain to get in and out of frequently. I can't help with the On board fridge, becuase I'm too cheap to buy one. But it's still a Jeep just a bit longer. It really is a personal preference thing about using racks and stuffing every space to the gills OR using a trailer. I carry daily use ie. Camera gear, ice chest , lunch stuff, chairs, coats and the DOG in the Jeep. I built a cargo trailer for the rest. For me KISS Rules. A single jetski trailer to start, flip the axles and cover with ply wood. Bolt down some cargo boxes brackets for a spare tire and gas cans and call it good. So far I've dragged the thing for about 30k miles and have only needed to replace 1 wheel bearing.

I like your idea on the Trailer. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles