Jeep jku CB install in center console?

Abe Froman

Adventurer
I have a 2015 JKUR and I'd like to install a simple and clean CB set-up.
I want to avoid the dreaded "cop car dash" with all the wires and gear all over the place.
I also want to eventually install a Spod over the rear view mirror, so that takes the best location.
Cobra 75 out due to my dislike of all controls mounted on Mic.
I have a handheld midland and I dislike it not being permanently installed.

Is CB in the center console and external speaker my best best? With a small midland or uniden520?

Antenna on AEV tire carrier with disconnect and spring should be fine.
I want to avoid installing CB to only then need to move it when I get an Spod.

I've looked and searched but haven't really seen anything specific to the JKU that caught my eye.
CB will be used primary for trail communications while in a group. I'll keep the handheld as a loaner for friends.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
I went thru several CBs and decided I wanted a full size unit. Ended up making a custom bracket for the center upper dash cubby. Tried an inclometer on there too but it was just too much so I've since removed it.
Wires tuck in at the back and aren't visible.

I agree about the "cop car" look, it's not my favorite. But function won out over form this time, it's easy to hear and easy to make adjustments.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
79ADB2D5-A06F-4B51-B4C0-7B82EF8E6534.jpg

I went with the Cobra 75 to avoid all the clutter. The module sits behind the glove box and when I'm not using it, the PTT goes in the glove box. Out of the view of thieves. I used a grab handle mount for the PTT.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
79ADB2D5-A06F-4B51-B4C0-7B82EF8E6534.jpg

I went with the Cobra 75 to avoid all the clutter. The module sits behind the glove box and when I'm not using it, the PTT goes in the glove box. Out of the view of thieves. I used a grab handle mount for the PTT.

That's what I did too but I wrap velcro around the grab handle. Tell me about your "grab handle mount" please.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I wasn't a fan of my Cobra 75 but found it very easy to mount a Uniden Pro 510 under the drivers seat next to my HAM on a simple piece of 16 ga sheet that I bent to fit the space between the seat runners.

I only need to set the channel when I'm starting a trail ride, and other than that, no real need to mess with it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I saw an awesome install, where the guy took out the double DIN factory radio, installed a single DIN radio, and the CB right under it.
He did a super nice job. This may have been on Wrangler Forum dot com.
I think some of the CBs may even have a dim-able display, which would be great for at night.

The only thing I didn't see is what he did for ventilation.

dstock

Explorer
I will also add that in a previous Wrangler I had it in the center console and having to open it every time to adjust volume or squelch sucked. My next full size will just mount off the passenger side of the center console.

MOguy

Explorer
Think about how much you will use the CB versus what else you could use in your center console for.

I would get a small CB mount it under the dash or a bigger one and mount it on the dash or overhead.

I would wast the space in the center console for a CB.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

Zeep

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles