GoneMoab 2017 is here

RonapRhys

Adventurer
In stock form and with 4wd, yes, you can do what we've labeled as green trails. If you have skid plates, a lift, and even lockers that'll step the game up a bit. We do have several crew cab Frontys that run with us and they've got no problem if they're properly equipped.

If you can make it out, I'd encourage it. Outside of the trails themselves, you'll get a chance to hang out with a bunch of Nissan folks, check out our set ups, meet vendors, and get ideas that may or may not help you build out your set up (and appropriately lighten your wallet, as I've discovered...). Plus, you're near Arches NP and Canyonlands NP, which also have plenty of hiking and scenic drives for cars.

Back to the trails: I've run several of the greens and while they're not technically challenging, they sometimes have some of the best scenery - Shaffer's Switchbacks is an amazing run. While the height and everything may look intimidating, it's a pretty easy run to drive.

extra_large_e5306ca3b93fc7edbdf555b6474e6293.jpg

(not my pic, pulled from a GIS and it appears to be housed on AllTrails.com)

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Last I checked, we're up to 118 rigs scheduled to attend the event. That's phenomenal, especially given that we're not all that close.

Okay - we're close if you've got major mods to complete. 86 days isn't that long - and that's the start date. For many of us, it's actually 83 or 84 day based on when we roll out. We've also added more sponsors (more on that to come) and are planning out the Meet and Greet, Raffle Night, and a few different dinners.

But the real reason for this post is to highlight another trail. Today I'm choosing (shakes Magic 8-Ball) Top of the World!

TOTW is another fun and challenging trail. This one's definitely a bit harder than it used to be. We used to run this as a tough blue, but due to the combined efforts of erosion and too much skinny pedal, it's become a solid red. It's got plenty of ledges, both up and down, that require good lines so you don't end up hung up.

A rocky little descent.

The plus side, however, is that you end up with some epic views, no?

About the trail:

This starts off at Dewey Bridge, noted as an old suspension bridge that used to be the way you accessed Moab. It was replaced by a much more modern bridge in 1988, then someone playing with matches burned it down in 2008. It's about 30 minutes or so out of town up winding 128, which offers great scenery and tight curves on the way there.

Once you get there, it's a great place to air down and make use of the facilities (last ones on the trail).

You then start out on a long dirt road, working your way up higher and higher. Pay attention as you'll come to a split a few miles in that takes you on the trail. From there on up it's a mix of sand, rocks, and ledges up to the top. There are several times you'll want to get out an look at the route to make sure you don't end up in a bind. Careful spotting is definitely warranted.

Once you get to the top, everyone can park on the shelf up there - but only one rig at a time in the hero spot. It's normally very windy and you can get all sorts of fun pics. Across Castle Valley you can just make out where Porcupine Rim has the same view.

The view down - don't slip!

One the way down, you take mostly the same route, but there is a loop that'll have you headed in a different direction, so you don't run into too much on-coming traffic (unless you're one of the crazies that runs it in reverse, which is harder still).

The trail does have a decent amount of cryptobiotic soil, so make sure to stay on the trail. And who knows - if you're lucky, you might spot Reginald, the orange-headed lizard!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone - as we think about next year's event, I'd be very interested in hearing what sort of overland journeys you feel would work well for the area. The only real restrictions are as follows:

• Should start or end within 100 miles of Moab
  • Should be primarily in Utah
  • Incorporate most of the trip (time, not necessarily miles) as off-road
  • 2-3 days of travel time

I know I mentioned Kokopelli earlier and that's definitely on the list to be strongly considered, but what else is out there that we don't know about?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Time for another update - we're up to 130 rigs signed up, with at least 10 more we know of in the works. It's shaping up to be the biggest year ever for goneMOAB. A big thanks to all of you attending and our sponsors for making this happen!

Two sponsors I'd like to highlight today are MaxGear Armor and CVT Tents.

Why am I talking about two of them? Because, in my mind, they're both all about overlanding. Dave over at MaxGear builds some of the best rear bumpers in the business. Not only do they have a solid design, but the build quality is exceptional. He's also built in several options that cater to the overlanding crew, the most visible of which is the ability to carry two NATO fuel cans (or water, if you want) on the bumper itself.

I run his rear swingarm bumper and it's definitely top notch.

CVT Tents is another key player on the overland market. If you want to sleep comfortably when you're in the middle of nowhere, they've got you covered. Tents that are easy to put up, durable, and comfortable - yes, I know from experience. I've spent over a month sleeping in mine so far when I was out west in Ouray and Moab on various trips and I think it's one of the best investments I've made.

Both of these companies are multi-year sponsors, too! A special thanks to them for their contributions.

If it seems I'm pouring it on about overlanding, well, I am. We're actually considering adding a second overland run for this year's event (as well as planning one for goneOURAY and other fun). Why? Because people love them.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
We've had a few folks in Patrols and one in a Safari, IIRC. Several years ago, we had a group of Russians fly out and rent vehicles to do the event in. Good times, that.

From what I've seen, your Patrol would likely do very well, too.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone - I'm glad to announce another sponsor for our event: Turtleback Trailers!

If you want to get off the grid in style, comfort, and with all sorts of reliability, these guys are your match. They build customizable trailers starting from a basic one good for long weekends the whole way up to expedition trailers that you can use to stay on the road indefinitely.

From what I hear, they plan on attending the event so you can check out some of their stuff.

Also, 65 days left.

Sixty.

Five.

That's not a lot of time to get your work done, eh?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Time for a quick safety talk. Why? Because this activity does have some level of risk associated with it and that requires us to think about how to do it safely. I'll focus on safety in three groupings - personal, vehicular, and recovery.

Personal safety - this will focus on things to consider so that you can be prepared (yes, I was a Boy Scout, why do you ask?)

Dehydration and heat exhaustion:

• It's hot out there. Very hot. Even when it isn't hot, it's very arid. These two forces conspire to dehydrate you very quickly. Make sure you have plenty of fluids. Now, mind you, I'm talking primarily about water here. Sodas and other high-sugar drinks can have diuretic effects, meaning that they're not necessarily hydrating you. That doesn't mean you can't drink those, just that you should be sure to drink plenty of water. How much is enough? Are you regularly using the facilities (or rocks, trees, bushes)? Is your urine a light yellow to clear color? If so, then you're probably good. Another simple test is whether or not you're sweating - if it's hot, you should be sweating. If not, you've got a problem. Let someone know and start drinking water – and don’t stop when you start sweating. Keep it up.
  • As a courtesy, please watch your trail leaders - it's easy for them to focus on the group and not themselves. Make sure they're drinking plenty of fluids. Same with any children or pets that you've got along.
  • Wear a hat – it might sound a bit silly, but something as silly as wearing a wide-brimmed hat can help you feel cooler because it shields your face from the direct rays of the sun.
  • For those of us who imbibe - alcohol can have a much greater impact on you due to the dehydration and the lack of oxygen. That means it's easier to go over the limit and the next morning will likely be much worse than normal. Keep it reasonable and, as always, never on the trails or roads.
  • Sunburns: Moab is noted for many things. Shade is not one of them. Since you're also 5,000' or so above sea level, there's less atmosphere to stop the harmful UV rays. Wear sunscreen. Not a crappy one, either. A quality sunscreen and re-apply periodically throughout the day. Same applies to your lips - get a lip balm that has sunscreen and moisturizer in it. One thing you don’t want to deal with is getting a sunburn on the first day and then feeling like you’re on fire every day after that.

First aid - there are a number of things that can go south here.

• General Injuries: You're walking on rocks that can trip you up, move, or otherwise cause problems. This leads to abrasions, cuts, blown up ankles (ask Eirish about that one...), and similar.
  • Plants: Many bushes and other plants have some very impressive thorns. Cacti and other plant life can cause pain.
  • Bites/Stings: Bugs and other animals can sting and bite. If you're allergic to bee stings or the like, have an Epi-Pen or other medicine, as prescribed by a competent physician.
  • Make sure you have a first aid kit (and while we love the fact that your Xterra has one, realize it's probably full of expired stuff by now. Upgrade. Speaking of upgrades, we have a sponsor that offers great first aid kits - Outer Limits Supply) and have familiarity with how to use it, that it's easily accessible, etc. One key thing to realize is that on many of these trails, you're hours from medical care. You need to be responsible for yourself.

Vehicular Safety - this one should be fairly obvious, but even on green trails it's possible to have things go very, very wrong.

Your vehicle must be in good working order prior to coming out.
  • Change the oil, check all of the fluid levels, inspect hoses and belts and replace if needed, make sure the brakes work well, make sure the parking brake works (it's been known to fail when axle seals go and leak gear oil over the shoes), and so forth.
  • If you have a winch, check to make sure it works (I've had mine fail unexpectedly, that sucks).
  • Tighten up skid plates, bolts on recover points, bumpers, etc. Look for any obvious signs of failure and correct the issue.
  • Make sure your tires are in good condition, as is your spare.
  • Have a working CB.

While driving

• In terms of actual driving, remember that you're also responsible for yourself on the trails. Yes, you have a trail leader, gunner, and others who are trying to look out for you, but ultimately, the responsibility is yours. Pick good lines, ask for a spotter if you need one. Stop and check out and obstacle personally if it's that intimidating. Many of the most difficult obstacles have bypasses, especially on the easier trails.
  • Speaking of spotters, listen to them. Please. Few things are more frustrating for spotters than drivers who don't listen. Also, realize there is only one spotter. If you hear other people calling out what appears to be contradictory advice, politely ask them to stop. One last tip here - it isn't insulting to ask for specific spotters. This terrain is very different and it's best to be spotted by someone who knows it well.
  • While it's very important to keep the group tight, remember that you must keep the rig behind you visible in your mirrors. If you don't see them, stop until you do. The person in front of you will do the same. Use your CB to ensure they're back there and call up to the people in front of you to let them know your situation. Why is this so important? One, many of these trails have turns that are easy to miss and the next thing you know, you're lost with no idea where anyone is. As a subset of that, turning around can be difficult if it's even possible. The second reason is that you get a chance to see how the rig in front of you handled the obstacle. Some areas are very narrow, so you need to make sure you're on the right line (Hell's Revenge has had two rollovers in the last two years, partly due to this).
  • Stay active on the CB - if you see an obstacle that might take out a tire or rim, let folks know.

During a recovery - this can be a very dangerous activity. In some instances, the vehicle being recovered is in a precarious position. On others, you've got lines, straps, and/or cables under incredible amounts of tension. One breaking can result in loss of life or limb.

Some general thoughts to help:
  • If you're not actively involved, stay out of the area. Sure, you're curious - we all are. But too many bodies in the area leads to problems. Watch from a distance, take pics, videos, etc. Those of us involved in the recovery will appreciate the freedom to move around and the hero shots we get later. This is especially important for children and pets. Simply put, they don't know the dangers and risks and aren't qualified to take them. Keep them out of the way.
  • There is only one spotter. One. This isn't a democracy. That spotter, the one in charge of the recovery, may ask for opinions, advice, etc - but they'll make the decisions (with input from the owner/driver). This is for safety reasons. During the recovery phase, we may be stacking rocks, checking on the drivetrain, etc. If someone other than the spotter tells the driver to go, this could injure someone. The spotter is also responsible for making sure everyone is clear prior to any vehicular movement. If other vehicles are involved (winching, using a strap, etc), the spotter will go over the plan with everyone involved and coordinate the activity. This means making sure everyone understands the hand signals and commands to be used.
  • Winch cables (steel ones) are basically large whips waiting to snap and take a leg off. This is why many of us have switched to synthetic. Put a floor mat, blanket, or something over it. Make sure you're not anywhere near the cable. Similarly, this is why we like shackles for the attachments, not hooks. Hooks come loose and go flying about with deadly force. Same with chains.

Note that this isn't intended to be a comprehensive guide or anything to that effect - but these are some key points to keep in mind. We want everyone to have a fun time - but to do so safely. No injuries, no avoidable breakage, etc.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone - wanted to give out some updates with regards to the social events as we're doing some different things this year. I'll try to go into more detail later about each one, but here are the high points:

Sunday Night's Meet and Greet!

Where - Spanish Trails Arena
When - 4pm
New things
  • It's catered! Food provided!
  • Improved in-processing: We're going to try a few new things to make sure it's easier to get your badge, check off our requirements, etc.
  • Tech inspection - we want to take the time to check over the vehicles (nothing too invasive) to make sure everything matches the registration and that nothing appears to have broken recently.
  • 1st Timers Introductions - we want to make sure people who haven't been here get a chance to meet people. Nothing is worse than coming to an event like this where you don't know anyone and you really meet anyone. We want to help provide the opportunity for folks to meet other people out there, so they can experience that sense of community that we all feel.
  • Trail Leader section and a vendor section. Similar to last year, we're going to have the trail leaders and their rigs inside, with the vendors opposite. That way you can easily identify those silly people whom your placing your safety with.
  • Fun event - we're also planning out a little game that might have some pay-off at the end. Details to come!

Pizza Night!
Where: Zak's Pizza
When: Monday, Schedule shows it as being 1pm to 9pm. Honestly, most folks will be getting there after 5pm.
What:
  • Free pizza and soft drinks (I think those are free. I'm normally having a margarita, which is most certainly not free. We love all of you, but not enough to pay for your drinks).
  • More chances to meet people. Most people pick a table and have people they don't know joint them. This is a great way to meet new peeps.
  • No, you don't have to shower first. Not that we wouldn't appreciate it if you did, but we understand that you may have just cleared the trail and don't have time. We've all been there.
  • Free pizza! And it's damned tasty, too.

Most Disorganized Cook-out, now with silly rules
Where - Canyonlands (down the hill at the pavilion)
When - Tuesday night, 6-ish
What
  • Rules? We really don't like them, but have to have a few for courtesy's sake.
  • Unless you're staying in the campground, parking will be limited. Feel free to park on the street and walk in.
  • We'll have numerous grills going. You're welcome to use them (as long as I've grilled my bison ribeye).
  • Plates, knives, and the like - yeah. Those aren't provided. Someone might bring them, but then again, they might not.
  • For the most part, it's bring a chair, what you want to cook, and something to eat it on (plus libations! Margaritas again!). We'll all sit randomly and chat.
  • Somehow it's turned into a very sociable event, so please show up and have fun cooking, eating, and chatting with folks.

Raffle Night
Where - Moab Valley Inn
When - 5pm
What
  • Raffle night with all sorts of goodness
  • It's catered, so free food!
  • We'll be raffling off all sorts of goodies that you know you want.
  • Note that the Organizers are NOT eligible for anything in the raffle. We feel that it's very important that you, as the attendees, take home all of the swag, not us.
  • Did I mention catered with food?

More details to come on these things, but wanted to get the schedule out there. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll work hard to get answers.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
51 days to go and most of the crew (except Beth and I) are out in Moab buttoning things up there to make sure everything's good to go. Not that we're bitter or anything about being in the rain up here in MI and not getting our rock therapy.

However, I'm happy to report that things are going well. It seems like lots of folks out there are busy trying to do some minor mods like Titan swaps, re-gearing, entirely new suspensions, etc.

It's getting near crunch time, no?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone,

I talked a bit earlier about the Meet and Greet and some of the things we want to do that are different, but today I wanted to talk specifically about some of the things we're trying to do. One of the biggest is that, for those of use who've attended for years, this is a very social event. We meet people each year and look forward to hanging out with them. In fact, I've made some very good friends who we've wheeled with during non-goneMOAB times. To many of us, this is one of the things that keeps us coming back. Sure, the wheeling in Moab is epic, but we could do that with a small group. However, then we wouldn't see all the people we've met over the years.

We really want to encourage this sort of community for all of the attendees and the Meet and Greet is a great way to get that started. If you're new, we encourage you to walk over and talk to your trail leaders. Introduce yourselves and tell them you're new - they'll be more than happy to chat with you about the trails and answer any of your questions. Also, you may see other people come to talk with them, too - feel free to chat with these folks.

Many of the sponsors you'll see there will also be running the trails, so you can chat with them.

Lastly, if you're active on the forums or our FB page, hunt some of those people you talk with down.

Those of us organizing the event will also be available. You'll be able to spot us pretty easily - one, because Bill is roughly 7' tall with a beard. Two, because we'll be in tees that mark us out. Three, because at least one (and probably more) of us will be in a kilt!

Couple of things to keep in mind - if you're not trail leading, we'll have you park outside of the arena. We'll have folks to help direct you to the right spot. Once you're parked and through the quick tech inspection, head on in and start chatting with folks. Dinner will be provided. This also provides another great spot to meet new people - find an open spot to sit down and then say hello to those around you.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
goneMOAB Update - Raffle Night

Everyone - Here's a quick update for Raffle Night. This year we're having it in the Moab Valley Inn rather than at Spanish Trails. We're doing this to see if this venue works a bit better than the other. As we've noted over the last few events, having it outside doesn't seem to work (it's either been raining or windy as all get out). Plus, if we're not highlighting vehicles or doing demonstrations, we don't need to be on a dirt floor like they've got. It's our hope that this place is a bit more conducive to having a good time.

It's also worth noting that we've got many great items that'll be up for raffle or silent auction. Roof Top Tents, Bumpers, sliders, OBA, etc.

Definitely looking forward to seeing all of you there!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I know most folks are on FB for this, but we're really getting down to the wire. The event itself says 34 days, but lets be honest - it's actually closer than that.

Most people leave 1-2 days before the event, so it's actually 32 or so. I know for us, it's even worse than that as we're putting in a vacation before that, so we're down to 25 days.

Hope everyone's mods are going well! There's still time if you need to get parts, but you should be ordering now. The guys below will have your back, in terms of getting what you need to make it through the event.

Boulder Nissan - stock Nissan parts for a discount.
Nisstec - lifts and performance.
Rugged Rocks - lifts, performance, and builder parts
Xterra Performance - lifts and performance
Fat Bob's Garage - lifts and performance
Off-Road Gorilla - lifts and performance

And here are the other sponsors - they may have something you need, or more likely, they'll have stuff you want...

CVT Tents - Roof Top Tents!
OZ4WD - lighting and a coffee maker
InSain Fab - armor and other parts
Hefty Fabworks - armor
MaX-Gear Armor armor
White Knuckle Offroad
Graveyard Graphics - all sorts of bolt on HP
CJD Racing - racers, so fun stuff abounds
Turtleback Trailers
Overland Journal - a magazine with all things overlanding
Blueberry - you should know Joey
Lifestyle Offroad - more bolt on HP
Adventure Tool Company - tool pouches that'll stand the test of time.
Rock Auto - replacement parts
Trasharoo - trash collection and storage
MaxTrax - recovery
5.11 Tactical - cool clothes
Area BFE - off road site in Moab
Outer Limits Supply - high quality first aid kits.
Viair - compressors and OBA, available from most of our sponsoring vendors
Off Road Vixens - women's clothing and they support women in offroad sports. Very cool!
Engo - winches and lights
Heps Design - roof racks and storage
Bubba Rope - kinetic recovery rope
Krazy Beaver Tools - zombie-killing shovel and accessories
Powertank - CO2 or other gas storage.
Ironman 4x4 - builder parts
Off-road Like a Girl - more women's clothing and sponsoring women in off-road motorsports

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone,

Now that we're down to just over a month before the meet and greet, I wanted to put a quick reminder out to the attendees about things we'll need to get you in-processed:

• Your driver's license - we have to know you're a licensed driver, no?
  • Proof of insurance - without this, we can't let you on the trails. Please check to make sure you have a printed copy with you (let's be honest, you should have this in your vehicle anyway, so if you don't, this is a good time to rectify the situation)
  • Working CB - while not paperwork, it's required and will be checked

Here's a quick rundown of the meet and greet evening
  • We'll have greeters set up when you firt pull in to get the process started, give you your paperwork, and direct you to the next spot.
  • We'll do a quick tech inspection (remember that working CB part?) and put a sticker on the inside of your windshield. This sticker will need to stay there all week long.
  • From there, it's off to parking and dropping your paperwork off so you can get your badge.
  • We'll have some demonstrations around winching techniques and hand signals for sponsors, a vendor area, trail leaders will be there to meet, and so forth.
  • We're having a catered dinner that night, so bring your appetite
  • At the end of the evening, we'll distribute the swag bags and you're free to head on out

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone,

As a fun way of getting everyone mingling at the Meet and Greet, we've created a goneMOAB Bingo Game/Raffle. It's really simple – when you show up at the Meet and Greet, among the fun swag you also receive will be a goneMOAB Bingo Game sheet.

In order to participate in the raffle you need to fill in each square, Each square will require a someone's initials. These range from meeting your trail leaders, getting your tech inspection done and include some silly ones like finding the Princess.

Once you've got all of the squares signed, all you need to do is turn it in at the Organizer's Table. Why would you want to do this? Well, not only does this mean you'll get to meet lots of fun people who attend, organize, sponsor, and volunteer at the event, but you'll also be entered into the Meet and Greet Raffle! We'll be raffling off two cool items and the only way to get entered into this one is to complete the sheet.

Good luck to everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you in May!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles